Home | About | Donate

Why the TPP is Worse than Mystery Meat

Why the TPP is Worse than Mystery Meat

Paul Rogat Loeb

Remember the World Trade Organization, which slipped into the shadows after massive Seattle protests in 1999? The same day last week that Congress initially blocked the possibility of fast track approval for the TPP trade agreement, the House voted to overturn rules requiring country-of-origin labeling for meat.

Soylent Green: New, Improved, Globalized!

Trade pacts designed by, for, and of the corporations with profit trumped above every other ideal or objective, and these pacts secured in back-room secretive dealings and STILL the "WE" frame is applied as if, WE, the citizens, are wanting the corporate takeover of our bodies, livelihoods, air, water, foodstuffs, and legal system.

This is not about WE. This is what Occupy Wall Street slept out in the streets to expose: that there IS a 1% and it games the global economy and all systems therein (up to, and including war) to its own strategic financial and power-base advantages.

WE, as in the 99% are free to protest (so far) and/or sleep under bridges, but thus far, those who should be beholden to The People and/or The Greater Good are proving their fealty to those who finance their personal power trips cum political careers.

Note the framing here:

"The meat bill is one more warning that there are some rules and agreements where we should be careful to eagerly swallow."

WE have as much free choice on this matter as does the poor prisoner "electing" to be water-boarded.

The online etymology dictionary has an intersting quote on FASCISM:

"A form of political behavior marked by obsessive preoccupation with community decline, humiliation or victimhood and by compensatory cults of unity, energy and purity, in which a mass-based party of committed nationalist militants, working in uneasy but effective collaboration with traditional elites, abandons democratic liberties and pursues with redemptive violence and without ethical or legal restraints goals of internal cleansing and external expansion. [Robert O. Paxton, "The Anatomy of Fascism," 2004]

Returning to a store near you, "Pink Slim" with a new name and hidden from view.

Coming soon! To a dispensary near you!
;-})

What I really like is the neoliberial saying that "the poor are always taking advantage of the system." I guess the are so effective at taking this advantage that they always remain poor in the western country with the worst upward mobility of any other western country.

However, the rich have teams of lawyers, accountants and lobbyists who do nothing but work to take advantage of the system and few talk about this.

I highly agree with your last statement, "WE have as much free choice on this matter as does the poor prisoner "electing" to be water-boarded."

Omg I totally forgot about Soylent Green.