Home | About | Donate

Why Trump’s North Korea 'Bloody Nose' Campaign Is a Big Bluff

Why Trump’s North Korea 'Bloody Nose' Campaign Is a Big Bluff

Gareth Porter
In the end, Trump, like all his post-Cold War predecessors, will have to choose between ineffective threats and real negotiations with North Korea.
Anti-war protesters in South Korea wear cutouts of President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in November after a rally demanding peace on the Korean Peninsula. (Ahn Young-joon / AP)

i wouldn’t bet on trumps rational decisions either

I certainly hope this story’s assessment is correct, but I wouldn’t bet on it. Trump is a wildcard that nobody can accurately predict, from one moment to the next. Let’s paint a scenario:

Trump is sitting on his ass in a golfcart. He gets an alert on his phone, and it reads “Hawaii - incoming missiles imminent. Get to shelter immediately. This is not a drill.” He turns to his aide carrying the nuclear football, does his thing, and orders a retaliatory strike on N. Korea.

Does the above scenario seem at all possible for Trump? We all know it does.

Gareth Porter, doing what journalists are supposed to do but seldom do anymore: seek out the truth from the tissue of lies.

And “removing our forces from the peninsula” is exactly what we should do! We are at least as much the problem as anyone else is. We cannot permanently garrison every potential “trouble spot” in the world, nor should we.

Especially as we have seen in his earlier speeches, at least a part of him is itching to use nuclear weapons “If we have them why can’t we use them?”. He is not the kind of person who thinks of the consequences of his actions if they don’t directly affect him. Like most here I hope this is all bluster. At the very least it seems North Korea is not playing into it and instead opting to go the more direct diplomatic route of talking with South Korea. I just wonder how the good ol’ USA will try to muck it up.