Home | About | Donate

Why (We As) Climate Activists Stand with Refugees

Why (We As) Climate Activists Stand with Refugees

Nicolò Wojewoda

Hundreds of thousands of people are making their way to Europe these weeks, fleeing from violence, often being met by violence again upon crossing our borders; sometimes – increasingly – met with love and compassion (as well as the occasional bottle of water, toy, or blanket).

“A culture that places so little value on human beings, that it allows them to be thrown to the waves, is also going to allow poor people’s countries to disappear beneath the waves because that is a threat to today’s profits.”
— Naomi Klein

Neither fish nor fowl? So who is this author writing about? Climate refugees (15 million) or war refugees from Syria?

How about we don't fall into that it is only the war scenario and enough of the pseudo-political "It's the empire man. it's all because of the the empire dude!"

How about that you should expect to see wars and conflict wherever drastic climate change occurs, wherever extreme drought in already arid regions occurs...armed conflict is the result. How about we stop playing the media game and deal with the straight forward fact of global warming has geopolitical effects which are virtually predictable.

The politicians want to make the reasons for the refugee crisis all about the war. As if that makes the refugees less sympathetic looking... less needful to be relocated permanently.

Reading this author was an eye opener. First he says that climate change is only part of the problem for this refugee crisis and then he keeps talking about climate change almost exclusively as the cause of refugee crises. It was as if he read the MSM accounts of war being the cause and tried to accommodate that perspective but found himself seeing the reality instead.

Look at these people and call them what they are. Refugees because climate change (extreme drought) lessened the capacity of the region where they lived to support them, so they began to move. That left them open to being exploited and their situation being manipulated by both sides in the conflict with the refugees caught between them and as always still remaining as refugees from the drought.

Look at the climate change future where the haves will try to build walls to keep humanity (climate refugees) back in the countries where they will suffer from drought and wars caused by drought. Exactly what else would walls do but keep people in the places that they are trying to flee from?

Stop talking about empire, it doesn't matter anyway. Even if you are right it still doesn't matter because only the drought does anyway. The war may end but the drought will remain and cause more refugees (and more conflicts).

The days of troubles begin for a future that nobody wanted and everybody will end up having. The refugees are from the future of 150 million refugees not just 15 million. These refugees are from our future. First glimpse of what is to come.

I just want you to know that I do not support the We've Changed Our Minds! movement sponsored by 49 out of 50 states to give California back to Mexico.

Well I mean not completely anyway although they do have a number of good points. :innocent:

We're not too thrilled with New Jersey either but since no one voluntarily admits to living in New Jersey and those who do can't manage to keep a straight face while doing it, we just ignore them for the most part.

The weather/climate (whatever the M$M want's to name it) is going to force billions to flee to "WHO KNOW'S WHERE"? I weep at knowing this...

You work TOO hard to make it mostly about climate and in so-doing, render invisible the fact that war, bombs, and the tools of aggression BROKE Syria into a million pieces just as those same MARTIAL factors destroyed Yemen and Iraq and made a hard life more difficult in places like Afghanistan and Libya.

By making it seem that you care about climate change, and tossing in the term "Empire" for good measure, most of your posts appear to play the role of HIDING the very real War Crimes.

I was making the point that as climate change worsens that conflicts, wars and unrest will increase. Moreover I stressed that powers (like us, Britain, Turkey, Russia etc.) will use the unrest as an excuse for intervention or invasion or exacerbate current wars etc.

My point was not that wars and conflicts don't happen and cause refugees because they do but that climate change will cause the stresses that will spark wars and the unrest or rather disturbances that usually follows will be made more permanent because climate change prevents refugees from returning to desert conditions etc.

I am so tired of your snide accusations just because I am male. I have ever been and always shall be a non violent pacifist - a war resister ...so spread your division and sexism if you will but you accuse without reason and insult people without cause simply because to you all males are soldiers or some such nonsense.

Elon, for all of his billon$ seems like a credible fellow, but why would any credible fellow talk about Mars instead of trying to save EARTH (for lives' sake at least).

Why does one who espouses peace, hate so much?

What are you talking about? I suppose I'll have to guess what you mean?

My language did not serve me well. The "one" was NOT you.

Lol ...no it didn't...I thought you were talking about me.

Our "wits" get us into trouble sometimes. I think most of us are the same side, though.

Only half the time! Lol.

Touchy, aren't we!

Suffering doesn't occur in silos

And neither does justice

Naomi's quote about the common element and common cause of the "human crises" of war refugees and global warming is excellent as far as it goes, but lacks the exposure of what that common cancerous cause to "today's profits" actually is --- the Disguised Global Crony-Capitalist Empire HQed in, and merely 'posing' as, the U.S.

"The U.S. state is a key point of condensation for pressures from dominant groups around the world to resolve problems of global capitalism and to secure the legitimacy of the system overall. In this regard, “U.S.” imperialism refers to the use by transnational elites of the U.S. state apparatus to continue to attempt to expand, defend, and stabilize the global capitalist system. We are witness less to a “U.S.” imperialism per se than to a global capitalist imperialism. We face an empire of global capital , headquartered, for evident historical reasons, in Washington."

Robinson, William. 2014. "Global Capitalism and the Crisis of Humanity" Cambridge University Press