Home | About | Donate

Why We Must Legalize Marijuana

Why We Must Legalize Marijuana

Robert Reich

The federal prohibition on marijuana has been a disaster. For decades, millions of Americans have been locked up and billions of dollars have been wasted. It’s also deepened racial and economic inequality.

We must end this nonsensical prohibition.

3 Likes

Legalize all drugs and end the War on People Who Use Drugs. Set up humane treatment for addicts like the promising program they have implemented in Portugal (see Johann Hari’s book, Chasing the Scream, for details).

9 Likes

Hemp and marijuana are also highly beneficial crops and products. From medicinal and dietary to fabrics, ropes and fields. Can you imagine replacing plastic and tree paper with hemp and bamboo?
Enough of the effete legacies of caging imagination and creativity with refusal to allow regenerative modalities.
END PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE. Make it a crime against humanity - which it already is in principle. Get it on the books!!

9 Likes

I’m going to explore Reich’s argument from a more nuanced perspective later this afternoon.

At 4:20, to be precise.

6 Likes

Yes, lets get on with it. My backhoe is itching to dig those big holes, and I’m ready to teach the locals how to grow marijuana trees, 15-18 ft. tall.

4 Likes

“By simply levying a tax on marijuana like we do cigarettes and alcohol, state and local governments could raise more than $6 billion a year.”

Fuck that. The government doesn’t tax churches, why tax our sacrament? Let it get its loot from billionaires that don’t pay any taxes.

3 Likes

What? No wake and bake today?

1 Like

Thats funny I was just going out to the backhoe to do a little transplanting myself. I’ve alway planted in pots, but this year I’m going big.

1 Like

I miss the 80’s, did a lot of organic gorilla growing. Digging those 6x6x4 ft. holes was a lot of work, but worth it to see those huge trees at the end of the season.

1 Like

Man , now you’ve got me psyched, it’s legal now, The marijauna task force visited me last year, made me pull up a couple plants out of my green house (too Many). I asked them where I could grow on my property , they said anywhere. Commercial growers have to keep their plants behind an 8 ft fence, with motion sensors and cameras , that was good news, the Greenhouse is a little too small. The 80’s $250 an ounce. Good times.

3 Likes

Yes, and so obviously can the likes of Dow, BASF, Exxon, Chevron, DuPont et al … top global plastics manufacturers. DuPont particularly has a long history of fighting against the hemp industry, which once thrived in this country.

3 Likes

Weekends only, Molly. Gotsta earn my daily bread M-F.

Oh, the advantages of Retirement, Wake and Bake , with brownies for dessert at dinner time.

3 Likes

You must have me over—maybe for pot luck?

4 Likes

Yes. I suspect that those economics had far more to do with pot prohibition than did simple racism (although racism certainly made the prohibitionists’ jobs easier). It’s also worth remembering that the first head of the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs, or BNDD (later DEA), Harry Anslinger, was related by marriage to the DuPont family.

3 Likes

Yes they were after Hemp all along .It was all about economics and monopoly.

Hemp is a life line for humanity…we must let it grow .It can replace so many nonrewneable resources at a tenth of the cost .
Here’s the stinger .
Anything that you can make from Hydrocarbons in oil can just as easily be made from carbohydrates in vegetable crops like Hemp.
An example …you can have all the paper you need without cutting down another tree ever again ,no chemicals needed in the process .Takes in 4x the co2 as the same area of trees .
Du -pont and the rest of the planet killing corporations should be closed the morrow for life is Prime Value.
Namaste

2 Likes