Home | About | Donate

Why We Strike Again

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/11/29/why-we-strike-again

2 Likes

Glad to see this post - where is Greta now ?

The fastest way to change anyone’s behaviour is to change the sponsoring belief that creates the behaviour in the first place .

As Beliefs create behaviours.
The folks in power live by an out dated cultural story one of separation, survival of the so called fittest and belief that humans are inherently flawed or evil.

We must tell a New a Story to change our collective future ,this is our only hope .

2 Likes

“…screaming for a future that can never be…” I am so sorry…

2 Likes

Hi Hemp: Maybe—only by becoming smaller can America survive—smaller as in very separate states like ancient Greece. Washington D.C. , so very often is out of touch with most Peoples’ circumstances and lives. Maybe bigger is not better.
This nation is so very divided in so many ways that maybe people will move to states of their liking and only coming together when the separate states warred with each other or in finding a common enemy that threatened more of them. . This could make the states amazing in their own powers—but then we have been seeing how so many of the elected work for their own interests so very often—that maybe being like the ancient Greeks --as independent states --------would work better then the failing giant government that we have now. We wouldn’t be in as many wars either. I amazed that with all the information of how the government is failing so many and enriching so few-----that maybe separate is more equal for more people. We just can seem to function rationally in the current system. : (

…the climate crisis is not just about the environment. It is a crisis of human rights, of justice, and of political will. Colonial, racist, and patriarchal systems of oppression have created and fueled it. We need to dismantle them all

It took a youth from a first world, a wealthy nation, to register the complaint as those traditionally disregarded and oppressed have continuously been ignored. Youth wants to live and this singular powerful desire will have to propel us all into action.

The fastest way to move power from the select few to the many is through decentralization .
Create lots of little economies all over the place instead of one big economy .

People really can be self sufficient ,not needing those huge companies that think they can supply what we all need . Dependence is humanity’s Achilles heel . Not needing is a great freeing from ,it takes away fear and Need is the great illusion of humans .

If we go to a 3.2 degree increase its game over for billions of humans .

1 Like

I much admire the writers who have indeed succeeded in getting much more attention to climate issues, but the idea of a ‘strike’ is not clear, wouldn’t a climate strike mean a day without using fossil fuels, AC, not eating meat, and other such behavior?

Interesting you should say this, as its exactly the thinking of right-wing types, such as libertarians, that say we should massively reduce the size of government. And I’m not saying this to say you should be ashamed or anything. I believe it is a perfectly valid viewpoint, at least in part. But this kind of flies against the prevalent view expressed here at Common Dreams that we need government-funded universal health care, free higher education, and other social-democratic type policies. That the best candidate for this upcoming election is Bernie Sanders.

Not to worry, Greta. Yup, Nancy “the green dream, or whatever they call it, nobody knows what it is” Pelosi has just announced that she will be leading a contingent of Democrats to COP 25 at Madrid. As the adult in the room, be sure to tell her and the other kids, personally, that you’re watching them.