Home | About | Donate

"Why Women Must Still Fight For Voting Rights"

"Why Women Must Still Fight For Voting Rights"

WASHINGTON - The struggle to secure voting rights and the struggle to secure the rights of women have been intertwined in U.S. history since the historic meeting at Seneca Falls in 1848 endorsed the demand for women to have the right to vote.

Today, nearly a century after women won the constitutional right to vote, and a half-century after African American women and men won access to the ballot box through the 1965 Voting Rights Act, we are facing a new onslaught of state voter suppression measures.

###

Indeed, measures to suppress voting routinely and especially disenfranchise women. Thanks for the alert to HR 2867. I for one will take up, immediately, pressing the motion to end its languishing in the Judiciary Committee, though I must admit I'm discouraged by the House leadership's behavior in the last day or so in responding to what's right and what's demanded by the populace.

In the spirit of adding to your very insightful and wonderfully phrased post, I would simply point out that NOW regarding Hillary Clinton's historic achievement of becoming a Presidential nominee (presumably) without acknowledging that her own campaign engaged in voter suppression of its own brand is a bit inconsistent on their part. Surely (and again I'm simply ADDING to your wonderfully written and insightful post) NOW has been aware of this suppression, and how that suppression of voters during her campaign most definitely disfranchised women wanting to vote for Bernie Sanders as well.

Also to be considered (again, just adding here to your wonderfully written and insightful post) are all of the little girls, young women, and elderly women whose lives Clinton has – through her actions according to her own personal power being an activist First Lady, Senator, and Secretary of State – disfranchised, disempowered, and indeed disemboweled.

I'm asking you and others to make this point to NOW.

Thanks in advance.

Cluck, cluck, cluck!