Home | About | Donate

WikiLeaks Founder Julian Assange 'Dragged Out' of Ecuadorian Embassy, Arrested By UK Police

WikiLeaks Founder Julian Assange 'Dragged Out' of Ecuadorian Embassy, Arrested By UK Police

Jake Johnson, staff writer

This is a breaking news story. Check back for updates...

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange was forcibly removed from the Ecuadorian embassy in London and arrested by British police Thursday morning.

"Assange did not leave of his own free will and could be heard shouting 'U.K. must resist, you can resist!' as he was dragged out of the Ecuadorian embassy," Gizmodo reported.

2 Likes

I recall Trump, during his 2016 campaign, declaring that “I love Wikileaks.” Well, that sentiment did serve him well then. This current development goes well beyond Trump, though. Through whatever neoliberal tools they used, International Money has been able to wrest Assange from his asylum by forcing the hand of Ecuador. I am truly surprised it took this long. The image of Matt Taibbi’s vampire squid (his description of Goldman Sachs) resonates here. The neoliberal tentacles finally picked the locks at the Ecuadorian vault of integrity. This is a sad day for those of us who value truth no matter what they think of Assange. This is violence against Truth and all who hold it in esteem. Peace.

21 Likes

Bravery and or/integrity can be a life threat sometimes. Good luck Julian.

8 Likes

This makes me so goddamned angry-
One sad day for humanity-
I just read the New York Times article, full of negatives and speculation about Assange- but they loved it when he was supplying their rag with fresh stories…What a fkn rag…If Julian somehow goes down, then so should they!
The Brits who are responsible for this, along with Lenin Moreno, should burn in HELL!
I can’t even put my thoughts into words because of my anger…

27 Likes

Will Bernie and Tulsi defend Assange? Get the F out my country if you don’t. Will he be tortured like Obama did to Chelsea? You betcha. FUSA

17 Likes

Yes, think of it, the great hope, Obama, and all the torture of Chelsea and the locking up of Assange in that embassy were all Obama all the way. Obama, the great disappointment who was owned before he even ran.

13 Likes

While America was sleeping.
Meanwhile Mitch McConnell is dragging the United States back into the 19th Century. He said will stonewall net neutrality and never allow Obama era rules back into effect.
The forces of fascism are overwhelming.

15 Likes

Your enemy is Mitch McConnell. Forget Obama.

6 Likes

I share your anger stubones:

6 Likes

You’ ve already summoned more than I can say; you speak for me as well!

6 Likes

This pertains to the first article i posted from the guardian:

0 Likes

The picture of Assange being pulled from the embassy somehow reminds me of Jesus being handed over to the authorities. Yes, a sad day for the rule of law in the west.

The man who exposed the crimes of government, the man who fought for the democratic principle of knowledge to the people, will now be tried in a US Star Chamber.

Shame on the west.

13 Likes

“I will close Gitmo”.

2 Likes

Below is how NPR reported on the arrest. Many stations are engaged in fundraising. I called my local station to tell them that I would not be donating due to NPR’s Washington Consensus / center-right wing bias, particularly in reporting of Assange and Venezuela.

. . . WikiLeaks gained notoriety in 2010 when it began to release troves of U.S. government secrets about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and the conduct of diplomacy around the world. The files also revealed the identities of people who had worked in Iraq and Afghanistan, prompting officials to say their lives had been put in danger.
. . ,
Authorities in the United States have also suggested in court documents that Assange may have played an important role in the attack on the 2016 presidential election.
. . ,
Prosecutors say Assange got the emails and other data from Russian military intelligence officers, part of the Kremlin’s concerted wave of disruption aimed across the West.

==> [Sasha Ingber, NPR, https://www.npr.org/2019/04/11/712128612/julian-assange-arrested-in-london

9 Likes

The system is so dependent on lies, suppression, oppression, extraction, gas-lighting, narcissism and all the related abuses that it cannot afford to provide justice, integrity, sustainability and inclusion. Those are up to us starting with our own hearts and minds, with our neighbors and rebuilding from the grass-roots up.

They take Julian Assange because they can. But like a death cult, cannot see that they have just nurtured one the strongest waves for healthy resilience, truth, engagement, regeneration and putting these institutional criminals where they belong

15 Likes

Brits and Ecuador … America’s faithful, addicted toadies earning their moment of infamy. But that is what ‘shithole’ countries do…addicted to suck the toes of their Empire Master for a pat on the head.

7 Likes

What’s the bet the uk charges are dropped now? Or that he gets a suspended sentence? (Being as the other arrest has been requested).

0 Likes

To the United States and United Kingdom government:

"You Can’t Handle The Truth."

The War On Truth Continues.

13 Likes

Evil will not prevail.

4 Likes

I’m also reminded that the ten commandments are not “commandments” as such, but statements of things to seriously think about not doing because the consequences have very real down-stream effects.

Interesting in the religious vein is former Pope Benedict blames the abuse scandals in the Catholic Church on the 60s. Yuppers, that speaks volumes about the extent to which the institution fails to appreciate the core guidance and follow its own admonitions. Also why it fought tooth and nail against Liberation Theology. We definitely have a problem with the private (human) and institutional (dehumanized) “chains”

2 Likes