Home | About | Donate

Wild Cats Grab Back

Wild Cats Grab Back

Rev. Billy Talen

The big wild cats are dying. The leopards, cheetahs, jaguars, lions, pumas, snow leopards, and tigers…

Each of these cats leaps from the top of their own ecosystem, and yet we humans are above the cats and we’re killing them all. We are the apex predator in the era we’ve named after ourselves, the Anthropocene.

"If all the beasts were gone, we would die from a great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beast, soon happens to us. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the Earth befalls the children of earth. Man did not create the web of life - he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself"

-- Wrongly attributed to Chief Seathl - Ted Perry, 1971

"Only when the last tree has been cut and the last river been poisoned and the last fish caught will we realize we cannot eat money"

-- Cree Native American Proverb

"We are the most dangerous species of life on the planet, and every other species, even the earth itself, has cause to fear our power to exterminate. But we are also the only species which, when it chooses to do so, will go to great effort to save what it might destroy" -- Wallace Stegner

They all aren't dying off - Mountain Lions are expanding back east with confirmed sightings in Tennessee. Pennsylvania's Happy Valley may soon have real Nitttany lions for the first time in 120 years.

Love you, Rev. Billy. <3

We are less when we fail to respect ALL of life!

*This morning as I was putting food out for my wild creatures I heard Dotty -- our part-of-the-year Mourning Dove -- she thinks it's Spring, but this Friday when the high is going to be 40 degrees lower than it is today with snow on the ground she will know she came back too early. What the corps are doing to this planet for one more billion is unconscionable, and we should ALL be fighting them every INCH of the way!

Excellent. Thank you.

"Are people more important than the grizzly bear? Only from the point of view of some people."
----- Edward Abbey

If a new geological epoch is warranted, let's not call it "anthropocene". Some foolish humans might be proud of having an epoch named after us humans, not realizing that it really refers to the harm we are doing to the world.

In stallman.org/articles/thermocene.html I suggest other names.

it's a way to call attention to the fact that it's us destroying it, imo.