Home | About | Donate

'Will Democrats Fail Dreamers Again?' Protests Erupt in Senate After Schumer Touts Deal With GOP

Wow! Denigration and condescension in two short lines! Nicely done.

Understanding typically brings you half-way to healing so it’s good to hear that you have diagnosed the issue and are scaffolding your coping abilities. Given our culture of gun-related violence/lack of respect for guns, your situation makes me wonder how many people have similar stories.
How many of the thousands who were in Las Vegas on 10/1/17 will have their hearts race, their breath taken away, and feel pressure in their heads when they walk near tall buildings for the rest of their lives?
How many of the thousands of kids who went to school at Columbine on 4/20/99 or at Red Lake on 3/21/05 or at Virginia Tech on 4/16/07 or at Sandy Hook on 12/14/112 or at Umpqua on 10/1/15 or at Rancho Tehama on 11/14/17 will have their hearts race, their breath taken away, and feel pressure in their heads when they pass by schools for the rest of their lives?

As the President vilifies the immigrant communities who are the least likely to commit crimes, we ignore the underlying causes of trauma and the long term damage it does to people.

Thank you for engaging. The comments about Chuck were just a note of how insidious it is to expect anything good from him. On the one hand he thinks he’s done a bit for the democrats, just working on any one issue with the Repubs. On the other hand he is so far up Wall Streets backside that he has no clue what is good for any citizens out here. The utter lack of any sense of humanity is clear. I wish they all had to go work among the poorest people for 3 years before they are ever allowed to run for office. And then again, after they’ve been in office for 2 sessions, work with the most vulnerable all over again. They cannot maintain any sense of what it is to be human, a working class person.

Truth can be painful.

Go f*ck yourself.

Explain to me how I am wrong.

JoanRobinson already did (see earlier in thread).

You mean the person who says I work for Democrats because I have previous legislative experience and actually know a thing or two about the legislative process? The one who never credited me for being correct about the phony single payer bill that was basically a campaign vehicle for a committee chair who planned to run for insurance commissioner here in California? Because I called that in real time while she was calling me a sellout over and over following the lead of a bunch of over-hyped progressive “news” articles. That person? I appreciate her comments, but sometimes us neoliberal sellouts do know a few things.

As I said to you then, Rendon’s chief advisor was Bauman, a former lobbyist that was installed to head the state party by superdelegates over the wishes of the rank and file. Bauman was hired by drug companies to lobby against a plan to lower drug costs for the state and has close ties to insurance companies as well, as does Rendon and Brown. Your basic argument then was, “no big deal”, and you do as you often do when you have no good response, you just brushed me off, and you still are. I acknowledged at the time that the single payer bill had work to do but I also mentioned that corruption played a huge part in the decision, was a big reason why Bauman was installed as chair of the state party and is also a big reason why Brown now opposes single payer after strongly supporting it in the past. Brown doesn’t oppose just that single payer bill either. I am guessing that Rendon, a person that says he supports single payer, will put forward a much better bill in the future? Surely, and he is willing to explain that while taxes will increase, out of pocket expenditures will more than offset that for most people? And he’s willing to do that, right? You argued against all of that and chalked it up to a flawed bill, claimed that corruption played no part in the whole thing. It’s playing naïve and it gets tiring with you. You still distort what I said, brushing off valid critiques as big nothings that were coming from “overhyped progressives news outlets”. I guess The Observer and papers like the San Francisco Chronical fit that description? There was a lot to figure out still with the single payer bill, but the process than Rendon halted in its tracks was the process to work those things out. To pretend that corruption played no part is silly and you know it. And just like above where you say that victims of your party’s corruption and incompetence are “whining”, you tend to brush off things you have no answer for and seem to lack the ability to see things from the vantage points of others.

“You mean the person who says I work for Democrats because I have previous legislative experience and actually know a thing or two about the legislative process?”

No, in our conversations you have let it known that you worked for the Democrats in the past on actual legislation, still have close ties to the party and provide cover for utter corruption time and time again here. You also provide cover for many state Democrats pretty regularly, as you did with Rendon and Bauman when we debated single payer. I have good reason to say what I am saying and while I can’t prove anything since I don’t know who you are, the chances are good that you have a personal incentive on some level to do what you do here.

By the way, if none of the above was the case anyway, it doesn’t matter because what I said about you (your inability to see the big picture and to see issues from the vantage points of others, and your lack of overall empathy) still stands.

This stuff had absolutely no role at all in regards to single payer in California, and it says nothing of your party’s corruption, right?

http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-california-democratic-party-leaders-may-1479666451-htmlstory.html

Here’s the deal: lobbiests and lobbies get involved in legislation all the time. They will be a part of whatever bill gets written, and they include nurses too. One of the biggest drivers of cost in our healthcare system happens on the service/delivery side. Indeed, insurers typically want to hold down costs on the delivery side, which is what we all complain about. It’ll be interesting to see what role the nurses play in protecting themselves regarding cost containment, won’t it? Of course, that was empty in the phony campaign vehicle of a bill you kept calling me a sellout over. But you are so finely tuned to corruption you can’t even see it.

The deal is I called the damn bill right in realtime—it was a campaign vehicle for Senate Appropriations Committee Chair. As I predicted, he announced he was running for insurance commissioner after it went down. That’s because I realized it was never serious while you and others got suckered by progressive click-bait articles. I worked in the legislative realm, and as soon as I saw that the Appropriations Committee Chair—What is the committee’s jurisdiction?—didn’t produce a bill with even the outlines of a budget or financing, even a formal committee report, I knew this was baloney.

What’s corruption to me is ignoring your committee’s jurisdiction to lead people on knowing you are full of it. What’s corruption to me is advancing a boatload of self-sanctimonious spin for donations and a campaign check box, while protecting the singular interests of your donor lobby, the nurses union in this case. Why not greater investigation of provider/service side cost containment measures as committee chair? It would have certainly been germane to appropriations, right? Most single payer healthcare systems have cost containment measures on that side, after all, not just on the prescription drug side, etc. Hell, if this bill is so wonderful, why not stick it on the ballot now? Why isn’t the nurses union doing that utilizing the information from the deified Pollin Report? I’ll tell you why—because it was a charade. I got suckered at first, but came to when I watched the Appropriations Committee’s actions. Too bad you didn’t. Blaming Rendon for the failures of Ricardo Luna and his backers is easy, so you do it, rather than investigate their failures. They are “good” to you because “single payer”—that’s all it takes.

For one, I am against all organized groups (including unions) buying off politicians, which is why I want public financing of elections and I would like to see an electoral system that allows for other parties to take part in debates and to be part of the political process.

I also like it when you ascribe to me a simplistic notion, like if a single payer bill comes up, I am in favor it automatically. As you might remember, I said to you that I want California to succeed, especially as a resident of the state, and I would like for it to be a model for the rest of the country. So, no, I don’t support any damn single payer bill, and I didn’t argue that the bill that was offered was great. It needed work, but work happens through the process that Rendon stopped, and to claim that corruption had nothing to do with any of this is intentionally naïve.

Regarding the costs of this healthcare system; they emerge (broadly speaking) at the institutional level and at the system level. Institutionally, private insurance companies are inefficient. There is massive amounts of waste, and that waste is paid for by the people that have to buy their crappy products. The same wastes are simply not found in our public healthcare system. There are also wastes associated with having massive amounts of payers. In Illinois, the right wing governor recently said that a way for the healthcare system there to reduce waste is to have LESS choice, which is an amazing admission for a right winger. He’s right too. The more payers there are in the system, the larger administrative overhead will be needed to manage that overly complex system, and anything short of single payer will have the same problems. Then there’s the social costs of this system, which are often pushed off onto society and are not easily traceable to its source. All social costs have this problem.

Does Rendon or the state Democrats have a better bill? I know that he said he favors single payer, as do many other Democrats in the state. So, if the last bill was so flawed, they surely have something better to take its place. I am seriously asking. The nurses have said that they had a number of amendments and ideas and that Rendon won’t meet with them, or offer anything about funding the program. If Rendon is really on board, I would imaging that he wouldn’t just sit there passively and would take the lead and help figure it out. He’d be a hero. Is he doing that? Cause if he isn’t, your argument is all the weaker. If he is, same applies to me.

Rendon did not stop a process, the process was a charade from the get-go. That is what I am trying to tell you, and anyone who knows how legislation works, would tell you the same. What was Lara’s responsibility as head of the jurisdictional committee that oversees things like financing the laws the Assembly and Senate consider? Oh yeah, figuring out how to finance his legislation. We can all write laws, but financing and enforcement language is where the rubber meets the road. Lara’s bill was what folks in the legislative realm call a “messaging bill” or “showboat bill” that legislators introduce as a way to say what they are for and against and get attention. He basically rode the coattails of the Sanders campaign to get attention for his statewide office bid. That is all it was, and I saw it in realtime.

To compare, just look at all the analysis and recommendations done for a real piece of major legislation that originated in the Senate, Senate Bill 1. I’ll just link you to the bill history so you can peruse yourself:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billAnalysisClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB1

That is how real major legislation is considered. A single committee does not half-ass its analysis with zero recommended financing mechanisms and slough it off to the next chamber. Especially if that committe is Appropriations.

And your question about Rendon is meaningless to me. However big a jerk he may be, his priority was the governor’s infrastructure bill, a huge bill that took tons of effort. A healthcare bill would take the same, and that’s why I think the president of the nurses union is doing a disservice to everyone. I’ll say it again: if she knew what she was talking about, and had real ideas, or thought the bill was ready via financing mechanisms in the Pollin Report, why not put it on the ballot now? What is stopping her from doing an end run around Rendon? I think we both know the answer.