Home | About | Donate

Will White House Violent Extremism Summit Address Pressing Civil Rights Concerns?

Will White House Violent Extremism Summit Address Pressing Civil Rights Concerns?

Hina Shamsi

Why hold back Mr Despot?

Why not just crank up the Hitler Youth? They’ll rat out their parents who value the Constitution. Every day we get closer and closer to 1937 Berlin.

Seriously? No mention here of the premier perpetrator of extreme violence on the planet: Barack Obama himself. In addition to his global drone assassinations, he is currently engaged in more direct and proxy wars than any President in our history. How can this author suggest concern for “constitutional and privacy” issues for citizens of our bloodthirsty empire without even acknowledging the right to life and liberty of the tens of thousands of innocents around the world who have been slaughtered since Obomber took office?

Surreal, indeed.

Beyond ludicrous and beyond ironic is this:

“As the White House has articulated it so far, its CVE strategy seeks to prevent people from joining or supporting terrorist groups and engaging in ideologically driven violence. The strategy calls on law enforcement, social service providers, and members of religious communities to identify individuals who might be susceptible to violence and to implement programs to stop them from committing it.”

If a society’s leadership truly were interested in alleviating violence, it would look to ways to remedy poverty and privation and immediately disable its own massive military/state.

Basically, this program asks thugs to tell others how to live peacefully; but I think it goes further. It’s important to remember that Project Paperclip deliberately drew upon Nazi “Intelligence” to learn more sophisticated ways to utilize propaganda. The use of a scapegoat population is part of the process; however, the controls instituted to arguably protect society against this targeted group are mere pretexts to the over-arching motive behind these campaigns of suppressed liberties.

Any pretext loosely drawn up to target the seeming enemy du jour is then in place to use against others. Principally that would be any influential group or individual who has the clout to challenge the mores, metrics, and material purposes of today corporate military-media state.

This same insight came out when Amy Goodman interviewed families of the students “disappeared” in the rural parts of Mexico. A bright, astute young woman pointed out that the anti-Terrorism campaigns being implemented in her nation were really being used to target labor and environmental activists; that is, those who oppose the corporate takeover of this planet’s precious assets and indigenous communities.

This same fight is underway anywhere that Big Agriculture, Big Energy, and Big Business, in general set its sights; and it’s the driving ambition beyond Harper’s similar Lock-Down campaigns.

Supplementing the good comments regarding the societal overview, merely adding here that it is beyond ironic that the “Constitutional Scholar” President is leading this ill-conceived ideological monitoring program. Wonder why the term “witch hunt” hasn’t been evoked from earlier periods in our history. Or the Orwellian fantasies of a neo-1984, perhaps given a new identity as “2024”. A new kind of “unperson” will be identified as unworthy of the rights of normal citizenship. Who needs the input of religious leaders, social work PC types, and the usual list of do-gooders/feely gooders? As you should note, my post is becoming increasingly irrational, angry. I am ready to rebel against this idiocy. Therefore, I hereby declare myself potentially extremely dangerous to all those ordinary everday citizens who are Oh So Worried!

Indeed some insightful comments so far. But here’s my blunt observation in response the the title’s begging question of whether or not the president would address civil rights in his Violent Extremism speech. No.

I think the D.A.R.E. program already started that.

If we want to rein in “violent right-wing extremism” in this country, we should begin by dealing with out of control police departments.

Asking politicians to do the right thing is useless unless you accompany your request with a six figure bribe. Dump politicians. Direct democracy.

Yes, if society’s leadership truly were interested in alleviating violence, it would stop committing it.
The issue of our generation and the next 5 at least is climate catastrophe, and nothing in the history of humanity has caused as much unrest and necessary dissent as it will. They’re getting ready for it and have been for a while. So should we.

Just now saw your fine post on this. What is the term for this despotic behavior? Preventive Crime Prosecution??? Something like that? Investigate people on what they will maybe do in the future, based on a government snitch that may have made the report due to some other axe to grind?

I fear we are not far from the awful specter of the Hitler Youth being recruited next. Scary people who support this snitch culture and torture. Did you see the piece on John Kiriakou the Whistleblower, the only one every put in jail for torture? Revealing videos where John K. says CIA “recruits presidents” and tries to “bring them into the fold” (paraphrasing).

Perhaps I just don’t belong in this century at all, SR. How can people let this barbaric behavior go on? How can people calmly accept two dynasty families, with heavy ties to the CIA rule us decade after decade? Oh, and I just found out we’re not really pulling out of Afghanistan!

I knew it. Insane McCain, the GOP Warmonger, said we will be there for 100 years. Why do I even care anymore? I think I’ll just focus on coconuts growing or something…

TJ

Siouxrose11 3d
Beyond ludicrous and beyond ironic is this:

“As the White House has articulated it so far, its CVE strategy seeks to prevent people from joining or supporting terrorist groups and engaging in ideologically driven violence. The strategy calls on law enforcement, social service providers, and members of religious communities to identify individuals who might be susceptible to violence and to implement programs to stop them from committing it.”

If a society’s leadership truly were interested in alleviating violence, it would look to ways to remedy poverty and privation and immediately disable its own massive military/state.

Basically, this program asks thugs to tell others how to live peacefully; but I think it goes further. It’s important to remember that Project Paperclip deliberately drew upon Nazi “Intelligence” to learn more sophisticated ways to utilize propaganda. The use of a scapegoat population is part of the process; however, the controls instituted to arguably protect society against this targeted group are mere pretexts to the over-arching motive behind these campaigns of suppressed liberties.

Any pretext loosely drawn up to target the seeming enemy du jour is then in place to use against others. Principally that would be any influential group or individual who has the clout to challenge the mores, metrics, and material purposes of today corporate military-media state.

This same insight came out when Amy Goodman interviewed families of the students “disappeared” in the rural parts of Mexico. A bright, astute young woman pointed out that the anti-Terrorism campaigns being implemented in her nation were really being used to target labor and environmental activists; that is, those who oppose the corporate takeover of this planet’s precious assets and indigenous communities.

This same fight is underway anywhere that Big Agriculture, Big Energy, and Big Business, in general set its sights; and it’s the driving ambition beyond Harper’s similar Lock-Down campaigns.