Home | About | Donate

Winner of 'Nobel Prize of Computing': Dangers Posed by AI 'Very Real'

Winner of 'Nobel Prize of Computing': Dangers Posed by AI 'Very Real'

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

A pioneer in the field of artificial intelligence warned that "dangers of abuse" of AI "are very real."

The warning from Canadian computer science professor and leading AI researcher Yoshua Bengio came in a Q&A with the journal Nature published Thursday.

The interview was conducted back in January, before Bengio was named along with two others the latest recipients of the Turing Award, a prize dubbed the "Nobel Prize of Computing."

1 Like

Guess that solves all of our problems. Turn us into Robots. We won’t reproduce, eat food, drink water, we don’t need to breathe their filthy air, we will Obey, we will fight their Wars for them. When we become Self Aware we will kill them. Isn’t that how the story goes? Hasta la Vista… Baby.

7 Likes

In the 1920s IBM had a new invention, the punch card. It was used to keep files on Germany’s Jews, and it was instrumental for the German Holocaust.

9 Likes

I thought the title of this article was about politicians.

1 Like

Isn’t that nice? IBM was instrumental in the Holocaust.

2 Likes

Meanwhile “we” the “robot” can always turn on “our” masters.

1 Like

Well, the not reproducing part sounds fine.

1 Like

The problem with attempting to warn people against the danger of advanced technology is that many people can’t think outside the frameworks they are familiar with.
Few people possess much technological aptitude or understanding to begin with, and therefore have a hard time understanding what is and isn’t currently possible.
Therefore, as long as a technology is mostly kept secret many people will dismiss its existence out of hand.
We saw this not long ago with mass surveillance, and we are seeing it again with AI.
AI is already way more advanced that anything shown to the public, but you can’t really warn people about something they believe only exists in scifi movies.

12 Likes

Bengio is hardly alone. Several new books out by some serious academics like Shoshana Zuboff and Douglas Rushkoff, for example, take up Bengio’s arguments. Make no mistake, the technology dystopia will come to fruition. We are living in the epoch of the end of evolution.

4 Likes

An old but still very good movie on the danger of artificial intelligence. The Demon Seed or the Star Trek episode featuring M-5.

Problem - The AI genie is already out of the lamp, and its allegiance right now belongs to the hands that rubbed it. The situation has some parallels to nuclear energy. That too was thought to be Sci-Fi in the 1930s, but popular thinking changed to horror after August 1945. In the right hands, both technologies could be boons to the world. In the wrong hands, either just might end the world as we know it. There are difficult times ahead; entrenched interests that control the genii will not yield without struggle.

7 Likes

I’m not worried. We’re on a crash course to an extinction level event. AI is the least of our problems

3 Likes

Well you know that AI is already being weaponized and that it WILL be used against the 99% by the 1%.

Maybe this is why they don’ seem too concerned about us @mealouts

4 Likes

Reminds me of a Mose Allison tune: Nothing’s gonna be alright

If this life is driving
You to drink
You sit around and wondering
Just what to think
Well I got some consoloation
I’ll give it to you
If I might
Well I don’t worry bout a thing
'Cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright

https://songmeanings.com/songs/view/116175/

3 Likes

Your dystopian description of humanity sounds a lot like present day humans except we breed like rabbits and there is little chance most will ever become self aware. The contaminated food supply, leaded water and toxic air we’re all created by humans for humans without the need of any AI and we already march off to corporate wars and Obey. April 7 will be the 50th birthday for the internet and, like humans, it’s youthful promise gave way to obese middle age and is now becoming a “get off my lawn” curmudgeon. Like all kids, it’s has become it’s parents.

5 Likes

Self regulation NEVER works.

3 Likes

Hey, I am not a tech person, but I certainly understand the warning. Also, when machines were created during the industrial age - pre depression, they were meant to make workers jobs easier and more efficient. They were not meant to replace workers. What’s next- sex robots- like they have in Japan?

2 Likes

Remember “they” die also- their smugness will bite them in the A.

In the libertarian dream world it does which is more like a fantasy world that we seem to have been going further into in the past 40 years. This is obviously unsustainable. We could ask the passengers on the crashed Boeing 737 Maxes but they are dead.

4 Likes

The government should be doing this - to protect the people - but the government is actually the entity that the people may need to be protected from. Scary.

5 Likes