Home | About | Donate

Winona LaDuke Calls for Indigenous-Led 'Green New Deal' as She Fights Minnesota Pipeline Expansion

Winona LaDuke Calls for Indigenous-Led 'Green New Deal' as She Fights Minnesota Pipeline Expansion

Democracy Now!

While world leaders converge in Poland for the U.N. climate change summit, we look at the indigenous-led fight against destructive oil pipelines and the revolutionary potential of the Green New Deal with Winona LaDuke, Ojibwe environmental leader and executive director of the group Honor the Earth. She lives and works on the White Earth Reservation in northern Minnesota.

It was a tragedy for us all that this woman and Ralph Nader weren’t elected in 2000. The two empty suits who finished first and second pale in comparison on ethics, integrity, intelligence and empathy. Of course Ms. LaDuke and Mr. Nader are still fighting the good fight, while the “winner” and first runner-up are clipping coupons and working on their memoirs (rolls eyes).

WINONA LADUKE: I’m not going to spend a lot of time rebutting President Trump. I mean, I would spend all day, you know, with that. I mean, to kind of the Native community, he’s kind of like the new incarnation of Andrew Jackson: you know, bad president for Indian people, bad president for everybody. But, you know, to us, and to be super honest, I mean, we don’t have a lot of experience with great presidents. You know, what we have experience with is that we’re going to fight this out, and we’re going to make the next economy. We’re going to make our future. That’s what self-determination is about.

Wise words from an Indian leader/activist who ran with Ralph Nader on the Green ticket. And he didn’t even offer her a “select committee” to study a question to issue a report to propose legislation…

Instead, she says this: Right, years of mass—I mean, social movements and lawyers are who stop pipelines. Social movements and lawyers.

Yes, I supported Ralph Nader and Winona LaDuke in 2000. And to add insult to injury, the Gore people accused people like me of costing Gore the election! No, the duopoly cost Ralph and Winona the election!

Winona LaDuke, one of my she-roes. I’m glad to fight the good fight with her.

Winona kicks ass. She is amazing. Thank you Winona!