Home | About | Donate

Wisconsin Adds Momentum To The Sanders Revolution

Wisconsin Adds Momentum To The Sanders Revolution

Robert Borosage

Bernie Sanders swamped Hillary Clinton in the Wisconsin Democratic primary Tuesday. Ted Cruz won big over Donald Trump on the Republican side. The chances for a contested Republican convention increased markedly. And Sanders’ momentum in the Democratic race continues to gather strength.

Bernie is the alarm clock that America so desperately needs.

A participant in the left coast caucus (that I participated in) who voted for Bernie several times when he lived in Vermont during the 80s and 90s told the caucus that the more that voters know about Bernie, the more they support him.

It looks like that is what we are witnessing this month.

The party establishment has to be very nervous, right now, with those staggering Bernie numbers with young voters. If they give a damn about the future of their party, they'll dump Clinton like the cancerous tumor she is.

The axiom is made all the more true by the fact that the mass media does its deliberate best to leave Sanders OUT so that voters will NOT know of his positions!

It's hardly just the young! Independents are gravitating to Mr. Sanders and that's why the "closed primaries" are such a bulwark against Democracy. By leaving out all these independent new Sanders' supporters, the Democratic Party Establishment (which has gone entirely Republican-lite), might manage to prop up the illusion of greater support for Mrs. Clinton.

"On Republican side, Cruz’ victory margin exceeded most predictions. What is clear is that even Republican primary voters are not happy with their choices. Only 62 percent of Republican voters in Wisconsin would support Trump in the general election; only 66 percent would back Cruz in the general. The Republican race has exposed both of these candidates for what they are – and even Republicans are appalled."

Damn, where's Jeb! when you need him?

While I already voted for Sen. Sanders (primaries, early voting in WI), I think it's silly to talk about a "revolution." "Revolution" indicates significant changes. I've heard nothing that would indicate support for this. The discussion of the last seven years has been about standing with middle class workers, applauding minimum wage workers, and ignoring our actual poverty crisis.

A revolution for whom? And for what? As a candidate, Obama often stressed that the only way we could see the changes we said we wanted would be to organize, figure out what we want, get to our feet and DEMAND it from Congress. Turns out, we just don't agree.

Sen. Sanders used to speak out powerfully about US poverty and the need for legitimate poverty relief programs, but has dropped the issue. Where and how does anything revolutionary fit into the agenda? Radically nudge up the minimum wage? Issue a revolutionary call for job creation? Progressively maintain the status quo?

First figure out what you want a revolution for.