Home | About | Donate

With 220,000+ Dead From Covid-19 on His Watch, Trump Says 'Not Much' He Would Do Differently

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/10/22/220000-dead-covid-19-his-watch-trump-says-not-much-he-would-do-differently

Funny how, after his tantrum in front of Leslie Stahl, that he would go running to the arms of a sycophant like Bolling and Sinclair. This mans psyche is as fragile as a faberge egg.
But now for the meat of what he was (and has been) saying. After Labor Day, when cases began to predictably rise again, trumps campaign had to face the harsh fact that his chances for re election had disappeared. His only hope became a Faustian bargain, as he and his cadre of yes men convinced themselves that the only way they could now win would be to let the virus run wild, infecting as many people as possible, frightening them from voting and depressing turnout. While this cynical action it doesn’t appear to working yet, there is a potential for numbers to exceed 80 thousand cases a day by November 1st. A goddamn frightening prospect from any angle.
This election still has the potential to be the shit show of the 21st century. No matter how it ends, it may just be looked back upon as the last time the republic voted as a 50 state union. And that may not be a bad thing.

8 Likes

More and more I can’t find the words, thoughts that once expressed relieve an increasingly heavy crushing, at least a little bit, and I’m thankful when I find a poignant voice I can borrow that helps share this load.

Three and a Half Letters (song)

I'm thirty-seven years old
Married to my childhood sweetheart
Two beautiful girls,
Two and a half and four
Worked nine years at the plant
Where my father worked
And his father before him
I have a B.A. but laid off seven months ago
It's been hard tough like so many others
But I still believe, can you help, brother?
Can you help?

I need a job, I need a job
I'm willing to work
But I need a job
I stand in the street
With a sign in my hand
But I need the work
Yeah, I need a job, yeah

I just returned from Afghanistan
Spent four years in the military service
I'm twenty-four, strong and
I can't find work in my hometown
I'm married with one beautiful son
Seven months old today
Never had a chance to buy a home
Can't afford the apartment we've been living in
Moving in with Debbie's parents,
Whose home is now in foreclosure
Can you help?

I need a job
I need a job
I'm willing to work
But I need a job
I stand in the street
With a sign in my hand
I'm willing to work
But I need a job

I'm sorry this letter is hand-written
But I don't have a computer
I don't have access to one,
I'm fifty-one years old
I lost my wife to breast cancer three years ago
Lost my job of twenty-six years one year later
I'm homeless with no one to turn to
I've been through a lot
Bother I heard you like to help people
Well, I need help

I need a job
I need a job
I'm willing to work
But I need a job
I stand in the street
With a sign in my hand
I'm willing to work
But I need a job

Got nothin' left
Lost it all
Can I get back to zero
Zero, zero, zero, zero, zero
I need a job

Yeah, I need a job
I need a job

And the last letter said
nine years old and homeless
Fuck

• Chickenfoot
2 Likes

A race of angels bound with one another
A dish of dollars laid out for all to see
A tower room at Eden Rock
His golf at noon for free

Brooklyn owes the charmer under me

His lady’s aching to bring a body down
She daily preaches on where she wants to be
An evening with a movie queen
A face we all have seen

A case of aces done up loose for dealing
A piece of island cooling in the sea
The whole of time we gain or lose
And power enough to choose

Yeah, Brooklyn owes the charmer under me

Walter Carl Becke &r Donald Jay Fagen

1 Like

Every election they voted for the democrat, the lesser of evils, never giving the good candidate a chance. A vote for them is a vote for the bad guy, right? Now they stand helpless and forlorn, begging that someone can help. in a few days they’ll do exactly the same thing, vote democrat. Why not right? It worked so far didn’t it?

3 Likes

Yes, the people in the United States think that they must vote for either a corporate, militant Democrat or a corporate, militant Republican. And the last thing which the elites want in this less than egalitarian land is for the people to have choices when they vote which is what practically every other industrialized country offers to its citizens. And one has to wonder who is worse, the recalcitrant and obtuse Trump who will never admit that he is wrong or his sycophantic fans who will rarely acknowledge that their beloved leader is anything but perfect. One recent article [perhaps in the USA Today] revealed that Trump’s popularity is holding steady at 46%. Even though that is not a majority it is still stunning to contemplate that so many millions of people have not changed their minds concerning a demagogue like Trump who, ironically, cares so little about the actual concerns of his adoring fans.

4 Likes

My attention, in monitoring outbreaks, is usually focused on new cases rather than deaths – because caseload is the leading indicator. There’s an important difference in the mortality profile today, seven weeks into USA’s third surge, compared to previous surges: hospital care has improved the chances of hospitalized patients from 25.6% to 7.6% mortality. That’s a 3X improvement – which might be approaching limits. USA’s hospitalized death-rate has declined as our caseload has swollen, keeping our per-capita mortality fairly steady until just lately, as it rose a bit to 2.30 per million (per day) – highest in a month.

2.3 x 331 million of us means 760 US Americans die of COVID every day: one every 113.5 seconds.

Back to the leading indicator: USA’s daily new-cases looks ready to leap to new heights, possibly today.

2 Likes

Only a sadist - one who enjoys the torture and death of others- would say when asked what he learned and what he would change after well more than 200,000 citizens died and counting, would answer “Not much.” First get Trump out to stop the hemorrhaging then unite and fight like hell to build a powerful Progressive Party. The duopoly we have now has proven decade after decade that they will remain the same as always. Our country shook things up in a bad way with Trump - now we must shake things up in a positive way by merging the fragmented progressive parties and building on that to create a third Powerful Progressive Party.

5 Likes

This is the reality of so many Americans. This in the richest country in the history of the world. Where did all of the riches go? I think we all know where; into the pockets of the few. “Bestest country in the world” is what fewer and fewer Americans are coming to believe.

2 Likes

I’m seeing it finally get through to us boomers, that we’ve sold generations on this smug, ofay liberal LOTE & the choice definitely AIN’T EVER gonna bo OURS crap… since Reagan? Nixon? Goldwater? Maybe, it was Hoobert Heever or Smaug. At this point, The Lord Humongous would be a relief, CNN speculating as to the aneurysm blowing as he so lovingly strangled Wes into a coma? I’m trying to picture, how the sneering churls will blame actual Democrats for Trump 2.0 as Chinese, Iranian or Venezuelan dupes, as 90 yr old kleptocrats ENABLE our Theocratic Kleptocracy to simply empty out our paultry online equities, flip our dying loved-ones homes and drop our GRANDKIDS into endless wars of extraction… they’ve known nothing else, after all?

~https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2020/10/waste-watch-right-to-repair-as-remedy-for-school-computer-shortage.html

~https://www.spiegel.de/international/world/a-berliner-in-beijing-what-life-looks-like-in-an-almost-covid-free-country-a-28cc9e94-e9d3-490d-ae56-3011976da738#

~https://www.blackagendareport.com/peace-black-self-determination-and-duopoly-trap-0

~https://wolfstreet.com/2020/10/21/creative-destruction-or-just-destruction-businesses-consumers-pandemic/

3 Likes

As for the people in the song I dont see why their voting is any different than the average of americans picking from the 2 parties that have almost 100% of market leverage due to their massive budgets, even the Donner party could get people elected with those resources. Now that unions are crushed, who has the resources to match and oppose corporate lucre? Progressives dont even get bottom shelf space in the political grocery store, they are lucky to not get thrown out of the parking lot for setting up a lemonade stand at the door.
The 9 year old at end of the song will have to live to twice current age to vote.

2 Likes

Surprise, surprise, surprise, trump is dumb and a liar. He skillfully manages both at the same time.

1 Like

The money went into pockets alright, along with rockets and sockets (oil energy production).
Some of us will have to our possessions and hock it.
When we ask for help trump and Mitch will mock it.

1 Like

Given how trump has installed lackies in various positions where the covid reporting come out of, I seriously doubt that the 225,000+ dead being reported is anywhere near accurate.

The most important election is the primary. The primary is where the right wing chain could be broken: if voters would vote for the best representative and not the lesser of two evils between the two right wing party’s, then the Republican’s in the final election would have to face a popular representative rather than a begrudging choice made in desperation by an ill informed and worried public. Its easy after decades of corporate media programming, for the incumbent right wing democrats to say, “Their ideas just aren’t Practical”, and thereby terrify the hapless, mindless, and clueless American voter into grasping at whatever piece of rat poison they are tossed by the right wing democrats du jour. Also, for it to work, enough Americans have to make that choice in order to overcome the incessant election rigging going on in the democratic primaries, and thereby overcome the 30% or so of the votes which are rigged by the very corrupt right wing democrats the imbecile Americans are voting for.