Home | About | Donate

With Amazon in Flames, Trump Moves to Open 16.7 Million-Acre Alaskan Rainforest to Corporate Exploitation

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/28/amazon-flames-trump-moves-open-167-million-acre-alaskan-rainforest-corporate

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The smash and grab portion of this presidency is now accelerating. Everything that any conservative special interest group ever wanted will be on the table. By the time 2021 rolls around all the Commons will be sold off, burned off, raped, pillaged, or a combination of all. The damage will be so great that it will never be fixed.
People think we are at a turning point. No, we are well past it. The history of this nation, like the future of global warming, is already baked into the cake.
I predict that, in the next 10-12 years, the USA will either become the brutal leader of a fascist empire in the America’s (think Oceana) or we will break apart, Balkanize. Into smaller nations.
The American republic is dying. And they are going to cut down every tree to prove it.

16 Likes

Environmental Terrorism, domestic terrorism, social terrorism. This is not who we are, we are better than this. djt needed a co-signer for his dirty monies, just as he needs co-signers for his terrorism’s. I am not seeing any difference between the 2 groups. This slow rolling coup is almost finished. Do you own an American flag? Do you know the proper way ti bury it?

2 Likes

Just a week or two back, a couple hundred CEOs claimed that they were adjusting their business models away from short term profiteering toward social responsibility. Well, who’s going to tell Trump “no thanks?”

3 Likes

The most salient comment I ever could make on articles like this is for everyone to read the book The Monkey Wrench Gang and the Ecodefense manual and act accordingly. We can try the courts and voting to stop the destroyers of mother earth, but ultimately, the only way to stop them is physically.
You can bet a bunch of loggers, bulldozer boys, hunters and other killers are drooling at the chance to destroy one of our last great national forests.
They must and can be stopped. As the Dixie Chicks sang, it’s not time to “make nice.”

15 Likes

"If the planet could talk, it would be screaming in agony or weeping in despair. Maybe both."

Then we must be that voice.

When such monstrous and ignorant disregard of our collective support system is in effect we have to consider if humankind–with the exception of indigenous peoples-- has failed to control these very same natural forces within himself. It is no accident that such adolescent “adults” with money and power target and oppress indigenous peoples and women in general.

8 Likes

But the planet IS screaming AND weeping in despair:

7 Likes

I give it 4-5 years, at best.

3 Likes

I don’t own a flag, but I might buy one just for the burning of it.

4 Likes

And pigs have wings.

9 Likes

Well, fuck all of his supporters and him, in the neck.

4 Likes

Woah … strengthen the message…

6 Likes

Ed, Trump has made our flag just a piece of cloth, with three different colors on it.

With his daily lies and deceit, he takes a crap on it every day.

6 Likes

BigB, I think you are too generous with time. I think we have months no matter the issue before us. Government, environment or 6th extinction. Other than that I love the way you mind works, clearly you see clearly. Thanks.

11 Likes

Trump & ALL of his cronies MUST be removed! These people are destroying OUR AMERICA!

7 Likes

How do we stop these fools without an all out revolt? Prior to both foreign and big money manipulations of our elections I would say vote and of course still do but if we can not affect the change we need with the ballot then…

4 Likes

Trump is the textbook example of knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing when it comes to the earth and people in general. He is pathological in his egoistic search to be admired by people just like him.

Americans must never vote for another republican at any level of their government. Ever.

2 Likes

Trump will continue to sell off Pacha Mama to the corporations in the hopes that they will do his bidding come 2020. He is a two-bit whore and always has been. The Cree knew better because their wisdom was grounded in the ground.

7 Likes

Donald Trump is a putrid disgrace. He has lived in air-conditioned buildings and been driven around in limousines for his whole, loathsome life and he does not have the slightest appreciation for the value and legitimacy of the natural world. I used to live in Juneau and Sitka and I was in awe of the great beauty of the region. This means noting to a POS like Trump who looks at the world with dollar signs in his eyes. His absurd attempt to get Denmark to sell Greenland to the U,S, is typical of his attitude. He even said that it was just another real estate deal.
The U.S. has reached rock bottom with this appalling right-wing monster in the Oval Office. People like Trump are so dead inside that they feel nothing for anything but their money and power agendas. The rise of this regressive gangster makes me ashamed to be an American and the whole world is now looking at us with contempt and horror.

9 Likes

Shanti - i was going to say time for you to tie youself to a tree but these buggers would just bulldoze you down with the tree probably!!!

2 Likes