Home | About | Donate

With Arrest Warrants Issued, Jill Stein Says Campaign 'Proud' of Pipeline Protest

With Arrest Warrants Issued, Jill Stein Says Campaign 'Proud' of Pipeline Protest

Jon Queally, staff writer

Jill Stein and Ajamu Baraka, the presidential and vice-presidential candidates of the Green Party who on Wednesday had arrest warrants issued against them for participating in a protest against the Dakota Access Pipeline earlier this week, say they are proud of their actions and will now "engage the legal process with dignity and integrity."

By default Jill Stein is the only candidate Left to vote for. All others need not apply.

Bravo, Jill Stein. Of course this is another newsworthy event not covered by the MSM. Our so-called democracy is pathetic.

What a childish ill-planned move. Great job, Jill, you just equated the Green Party with "dirty hippies" in the minds of middle America. You set back the progressive cause by decades. How is anyone going to take Greens seriously after this? And here I thought the First Nations People were calling their camp a prayer circle.
I. am. seriously. disgusted.

This "vandalism" charge is a joke. They painted their graffiti on the faces of blades of bulldozers - the part that continually gets scrubbed to bare metal when used. The only time you ever see paint on the front of a bulldozer blade is when it's delivered new from the factory. It was a purely symbolic gesture. I'm guessing they did it to get arrested, so they could go to court and generate publicity for the plight of this anti-big oil movement. They have been ignored by corporate media, unless they are telling lies about the Native Americans being violent - which they have deliberately never been. Good for Stein and Baraka. They deserve our support. The Greens will not be spoilers for Trump, Hillary is going to get over 300 electoral votes in November. Vote your conscience wherever you live. #NeverHillary. Stein/Baraka 2016!

This maybe the most comical and strange comment I've run across in the last 5 years.
Could you attempt to explain your thinking here?

Recall that British deemed signers of the Declaration of Independence criminals guilty of a capital offense.

The British military did kill some of the signers, destroyed the property (including family farms) of other signers, driving them in to poverty. Signers who emerged without being harmed by the British were the exception, not the rule.

Just as participants standing up against the British oligarchy was essential for victory, today's revolution requires participants stand up against the global oligarchy.

Freedom from oligarchy does not come free.

Interesting psychology at play here, folks tend to project onto others beliefs or sentiments that are theirs. Not everyone perceives this action as you do.
When first learning of it---a small woman v bulldozor, the thoughts and images evoked for me were of this:
https://electronicintifada.net/content/photostory-israeli-bulldozer-driver-murders-american-peace-activist/4449
"On 16 March 2003 in Rafah, occupied Gaza, 23-year-old American peace activist Rachel Corrie from Olympia, Washington, was murdered by an Israeli bulldozer driver. Rachel was in Gaza opposing the bulldozing of a Palestinian home as a volunteer with the International Solidarity Movement.

Rachel and seven other ISM activists were in the Hi Es Salam area of Rafah, Gaza, trying to prevent the razing of Palestinian land and property. Present were two Israeli occupation army bulldozers and a tank. For a period of two hours, the activists played ‘cat and mouse’, attempting to prevent the illegal demolitions by physically blocking the passage of the two bulldozers."

As regards those 'dirty hippies', they managed to successfully bring an end to a Southeast Asian war, enlighten a culture of women's rights, compel the government to enact environmental legislation, create an awareness of a healthy diets derived from sustainable farming systems, induce the culture to recycle...
The list is exhaustive. Great revisionist's efforts have been made since the onset of the Reagan years to demean and degenerate that generation. Apparently those efforts succeeded with you. If only the 'progressive cause' of today could be as effective and achieve the same kind of solidarity of those 'dirty hippies'.
If I might borrow from Officer Judith, "Slow down there, Liber-ace." Perhaps some historical reevaluation is in order?

edit: perhaps some may call out the Officer Judith reference as incorrect---
modern accounts use Officer Judy, and perhaps I misremembered---however will leave the name as is

Your comment is chilling.

The term "dirty" implies close to the earth and the ONLY reason it garnered a bad reputation is that it was used by the same Christian church that turned sexuality into a sin as a means for convincing people to turn away from their roots... that is, in the dirt and life-giving soil. In order for the Church to demean the Pagan roots that belong to ALL tribes, they had to set up a wall between their followers and Nature.

THAT wall is the problem; and it helps to explain why so many can turn away from the STATE of nature and go about their lives as if "it's all good."

Insulting Ms. Stein for acting on principle rather than using the same phony tactics of plastic politicians who are literally murdering the living world is hardly the stance of a Progressive.

Protestors identifying as "hippies" represent less than 1% of Americans engaging in civil disobedience during the past century.

Stein is a change agent and not all voters are seeking candidates who are change agents. Voters satisfied with the status quo never find a shortage of candidates to choose from.

Even when faced with FACTS you are INCAPABLE of changing your narrative.

People who remain wedded to false ideas even when enlightening material is presented to them tend to be Conservative.

THIS is what's true. What is NOT true is your phony 50-50 "pie divide" version of economics: (It came from an article posted yesterday on this site, but the SAME data has been published regularly.)

• The top 10% now take home half of all income

• And it’s getting worse – since 2009, 58% of all income growth has gone to the top 10%

• When it comes to net wealth, the divide is even starker. The 20 richest people in the country now have as much wealth as the bottom 50% of Americans.

TWENTY PEOPLE, John Ellis, NOT half! OWN half.

I am not any more surprised by the arrest warrants for protestors than I am that private security workers were allowed to use attack dogs and chemical agents on those protestors. This is what it looks like when the politicians and police work for corporations.

I can only imagine the Unrepairable damage to the blade of the cat done with the paint !!! The owners must be beside themselves wondering how to finance the fix .. And just how would all his go if the dozers were digging up a national cemetery?? What a crok ,,,,, with you in spirit Jill and all those standing up to big oil!

Dr. Jill Stein M.D., Ajamu Baraka Green Party!

No. I cannot imagine Clinton doing something as mild as civil disobedience for the greater good of society, where her legal victory is not preordained by favoritism and corruption.

Jill should be concerned with building the Green Party by increasing its following, not grandstanding by being arrested.

Though Jill's action is a reflection of her beliefs and is, I think, ideologically correct (as were the Hippies), as skeezyks points out, it is damaging to a favorable impression of the Greens in the eyes of middle America.

She should not be alienating middle America with such activities since the good she might do for the regional tribes is far outweighed by the the damage she is doing to the Green's efforts to recruit new members.

The Greens should keep breaking new ground and controversial activity to a necessary minimum until the party is much better established.

This is hardly the first time Stein has faced arrest for sticking to her principles. That's part of her appeal, that you know she'll make good on what she stands for.

Contrast an arrest warrant being issued for Ms Jill Stein for spray painting a bulldozer to the ongoing crimes of Ms Clinton including that of perjury while being given a pass by the authorities.

It is quite clear where the priorities of the State are. One shall not spray paint private property. Lying under oath, overseeing the selling of arms to Terrorists and committing war crimes against peoples of color, well that is ok.

If Ms Steins action will cause that "middle America" to turn on her and vote in favor of a Ms Clinton instead, than that middle America has to reexamine its priorities as well.

Do remember that it a history of Civil obedience that gave "Middle America" most of those rights they once took for granted, from people breaking the law from refusing to sit at the back of the bus, to people breaking the law with miners strikes and marches to garner the right to vote and sitting down to eat at white only counters.

Apparently the priority of the state was to screw the Native Americans.
Oh, and allow private, for-profit corporations to make billions of dollars in the bargain.

Right On Imhotep!