Home | About | Donate

With Bills Due April 1, More Than 400,000 Demand Congress Freeze All Rent, Mortgage, and Utility Payments

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/03/31/bills-due-april-1-more-400000-demand-congress-freeze-all-rent-mortgage-and-utility

3 Likes

This will be telling… is there enough resilience in our economic structure for a two month pause? If not, that is a sad indictment of the system. Sadly even if we have the ability to do this, I fear the vultures of disaster capitalism will do all they can to swing this their way.

10 Likes

400,000. An absolutely meaningless number to DC politicians. We, the minions, are looking at very hard times ahead. And all the while DC politicians will shore up the landlords and mortgage companies.

9 Likes

Hey everyone…what about a debt jubilee.
Now that’s something we can all agree on.

8 Likes

Sure, Cuomo is better than Trump, but Ocasio is better–way better–than both of them! Let’s get her ready for president in the near future! We don’t need another plutocrat offering false hope

now crap gets real. many corporate landlords are already threatening mass evictions and if that comes to pass in the next 20-30 days, covid’s going to be having a huge party.

revolt is coming. finally.

8 Likes

The real awakening will begin tomorrow, on April 1st, April fools day.

And those who believed either the Democrats or the Republicans would take care of them as they had been loyal to those parties with their votes forever, will finally come to realize that they had been played for fools.

All their lives.

It took me 30 years to realize it, and for the last nearly 20, I have done my best to make many who had been like me, stop being fools to the corporate war parties that don’t really give a flying fish for you.

There are many hard-headed people out there whose pride will be to strong to admit they’ve been wrong.

To them I say, "you’re all fools. April Fools."

6 Likes

One radio commenter suggested that government could declare a rent due holiday.
This would then push the distress to landlords and their mortgage holder, banks.

Then there are elderly who depend on income from their rentals.

Coming evictions to be concerned about:
4 million grandparent households raising their grandchildren.
Usually without outside assistance.
How do we get them rent help? Groceries?
Medical, dental and eye glasses?
This situation is not their fault, nor the landlords.

This should have been resolved two weeks ago for folks to know they have a place.

7 Likes

Joe,

AOC voted for last week’s Relief/Stimulus scam bill, and if you check I believe she’s voted for every Military Budget bill during this administration.

Is that "progressive?"

Or progressively corrupted.

I have thought highly of AOC, however, if she stays in the Democratic party, she’ll sell her soul to the corporations for her next campaign contribution.

It’s a sad reality.

6 Likes

Congress will freeze as usual when it comes to acting in the best interest of the American populace…

3 Likes

okay, point taken. But within the status quo, she’s progressive. I think she’s ill-informed about militarism, but I don’t deny that she at least cares genuinely about the working class, similar to Bernie. Bernie wasn’t perfect either, but at least with these two we’d see some New Deal policies implemented

3 Likes

I just sent my parting letter to them. It said:

Just wanted to let you know I left the party yesterday.
Until you remember it is US VOTERS that give you power, I will remain independent.
You claim you do not represent us, and prove it daily.
Goodbye - From a 60 year old that has always voted Democrat until now.

8 Likes

Completely agree. Lumping all landlords into a single “uber-rich” category is way off base. Many are using one or two rentals (that they maintain well) as their only income, or supplement to the paltry SSI they receive. Not all are Trumps or Kushners… and they need to be remembered in this craze to blame someone.

7 Likes

With (so far) 21,500 additional cases and 640 additional deaths today, USA’s COVID-19 mortality just ascended over 2%, We just passed China in our death-count of 3780, with Spain and Italy still ahead of us in that category, for the time being.

As I’ve traced mortality statistics over several countries, they almost never fall – even prudent countries like South Korea still see a slight rise. Where containment has failed, as in Italy (11.75% mortality at this writing) we’ve yet to see mortality peaking, then coming back down.

Long past time to ban ownership of any home other than the one you live in.

4 Likes

That is incorrect. She was not even a member of congress for the first two defense budgets that the administration put forward and she voted against the Defense Authorization Act for the 2020 fiscal year that she did vote on (it passed 377 to 48). See ~http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2019/roll672.xml for the house clerks roll call on the vote.

So yes - she has a very progressive voting record.

6 Likes

So ban rentals? What if someone can not afford to buy?

Seeker,

Again, I must acknowledge you for leaving behind your support of the Democratic party by the association through being registered as a Democrat for what I can only assume was a lifetime.

You no longer must feel any responsibility for the Death and Destruction their votes have given power to a Military out of control, in Lord knows how many countries around the globe.

You no longer must feel any responsibility for supporting the massive thefts of taxpayer’s money in the name of Tax Scams, Industry Bailouts, and Relief/Stimulus Scams.

I hope that our fellow Common Dreamers will join me in congratulating you in making one of the smartest decisions you have made in your life, choosing to no longer being associated with a Corrupt Political Party that has proven untrustworthy, unethical, and immoral.

"ALL COMMON DREAMERS-PLEASE WELCOME SEEKER AS ONE OF OUR NEWEST MEMBERS TO THE INDEPENDENT PARTY."

I am very proud of you Seeker. Speaking for all of the Independents here, we are all proud of you.

6 Likes

Once she joined the Mafia,no matter how honest and well meaning, AOC just like Bernie, will be screwed. She has no other choice…sad.

3 Likes

It very important any such legislation be a FORGIVENESS of any monies owed on rent rather then just a suspension. In other words if there a three month suspension on a 900 dollar a month rent the renter should not be expected to pay 3600$ on the 4th month.

Rather then 4 trillion to Corporations and their shareholders, the Government could have easily paid the rent on the peoples behalf for those months needed.

6 Likes