Home | About | Donate

With 'Carefully Calculated Strategy' to Slash Safety Net Underway, White House Claims War on Poverty 'Largely Over'

With 'Carefully Calculated Strategy' to Slash Safety Net Underway, White House Claims War on Poverty 'Largely Over'

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

Anti-poverty advocates are rejecting a new Trump administration report that ridiculously declares the "War on Poverty is largely over and a success" asin the words of Rebecca Vallas at the Center for American Progress—"part of a carefully calculated strategy to reinforce myths about the people these programs help" and "to smear these programs with a dog-whistle of welfare, in order to make them easier to cut."

From The Emperors New Clothes.

So the honest old minister went to the room where the two swindlers sat working away at their empty looms.

“Heaven help me,” he thought as his eyes flew wide open, “I can’t see anything at all”. But he did not say so.

Both the swindlers begged him to be so kind as to come near to approve the excellent pattern, the beautiful colors. They pointed to the empty looms, and the poor old minister stared as hard as he dared. He couldn’t see anything, because there was nothing to see. “Heaven have mercy,” he thought. “Can it be that I’m a fool? I’d have never guessed it, and not a soul must know. Am I unfit to be the minister? It would never do to let on that I can’t see the cloth.”

“Don’t hesitate to tell us what you think of it,” said one of the weavers.

“Oh, it’s beautiful -it’s enchanting.” The old minister peered through his spectacles. “Such a pattern, what colors!” I’ll be sure to tell the Emperor how delighted I am with it."

The only difference is that in this Instance , it The Emperor that working the swindle on the masses.

I appreciate MS. Corbett bringing this subject up, but lets stop screwing around. These policies aren’t Trumps ideas, the man can barely form a reasonable sentence. These are the ideas of the 1%, who Trump is merely a mouthpiece. They are pushing for a war with the 99%, believing they will remain safe inside their gated communities with their armed guards, they will not.
If Trump had any intelligence he would take to heart the report produced by the UN on poverty in the US, but I doubt he has even read it. It is long past time to take our country back from these white-collar thugs and warmongering chicken hawks.

There are some 70 million that live as I do or worse, so marginalized we no longer exist according to this line of thinking. I guess I’m a ghost from 1960. I sure do miss FDR and LBJ for their domestic policies. Times when Americans had hearts. Can’t rightly remember the last time my pot saw a chicken.

The Republican libertarians are just trying to obtain economic liberty for themselves. Why doesn’t everyone understand the need for economic liberty? They should find out what the Koch brothers have to say about it. Then maybe they will understand why people are trying to enrich themselves without contributing to helping the less fortunate.

Trump is actually an anomaly. Hillary was the chosen of the 1 percent. They accept Trump because he generally goes along with whatever they want him to. But they are still afraid of two things…one, that Trump will go off the reservation like with the whole China Tariff thing and fuck up their money train or second, that he will be so inept and vicious in his greed and corruption as to awake the public to the true horror of things, Trump is not their choice…they are desperately trying to manage him, but as time goes by and he gets used to the Presidency and his power…the harder he is to control.

You almost got it right. The one thing you got wrong was Jeb Bush was the chosen of the 1%. Once he was eliminated they really didn’t have a horse in the race. Once they struck out in the Republican primary it appears they made a deal with Trump to go along with his racism and fascism as long as he also supported their agenda. They could have lived with Clinton although they would have had to fight against further environmental regulations, Dodd-Frank and additional attempts to regulate Wall Street and the insurance industry, etc. And with Bernie Sanders chairing some key Senate committees had the Democrats won a couple of more Senate seats they probably would have had a pretty rough time. But voters for Jill Stein and many others voters made sure that didn’t happen.

Phucking repubiCons! Dino Dems too.I truly detest these slimebalms and their cretin followers.

WHHHAAATTTT! to your last sentence. Jaysus!
Read some Greg Palast for pete’s sake, about voting ratfckery.
You nut, Gary Johnson received more votes than Jill Stein.
Catch up.
It was the extra! special! magic! of electoral college ‘math’ that begot us the Orange Horror.
Hilly won the pop. vote by close to 3 mil votes and you’re blaming Stein???
The republiCons knew/know that Twitler was/is an idiot to the tenth power; Flatter the fat basturd and do your worst to the citizen of USA,Inc. The R’s and their stinky think tanks love pushing their corp-o-rat packed crap bills, more! better! ratfckery on voting processes, de-fanging and corp/gov oversight rules ad nauseum.

The reason I was not sorry that Trump beat hrc is I hoped it would cause the public to wake up. Because all Trump is doing is part of a stealthy incremental continuum over past presidencies D and R in which the rich are the only ones benefitting.

America burned during the Sixties. There is a galactic crash between the Haves and Have-Nots rounding the bend. Destroying social security, medicare and medicaid will light the fire. I hope we win.

Whatever sincere efforts have been made in the “War on Poverty”

They have always been eclipsed by those in an earnest war on the poor

I would like to ask these pigs:

Why don’t they go out and get an honest job?

Where the hell are the decent paying jobs the poorest are supposed to find?

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. When the drumpfbots claim that the war on poverty is over and was successful, they aren’t implying that poor people are now better off. What they mean is that their bumper sticker, “Fight poverty, Kill a beggar” has finally come to fruition. The poor have lost the war is what they are saying, something that Warren Buffet acknowledged a long time ago.

They didn’t make a deal to go along with his fascism and racism with drumpf. They made that deal a long time ago starting with Nixon’s Southern Strategy. Ever since, the oligarchs have been walking hand in hand with the racists at election time and then ignoring them. This time one of their own won the election and is not ignoring them.

You wrote: “Trump is actually an anomaly. … They accept Trump because he generally goes along with whatever they want him to. But they are still afraid of two things…one, that Trump will go off the reservation like with the whole China Tariff thing and fuck up their money train or second, that he will be so inept and vicious in his greed and corruption as to awake the public to the true horror of things, Trump is not their choice…they are desperately trying to manage him, but as time goes by and he gets used to the Presidency and his power…the harder he is to control.”

This is absolutely correct.

The cuts to social programs, especially for the poor, originate from the hardline republicans in Congress. Trump throws them a bone every now and then. And then too Trump’s appointments are mostly far right republicans that have been trying to drown the government in the bathtub for the past two decades.

G. Norquist: “I don’t want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub.”

Now it’s the War On the Poor.

Republicans should introduce work requirements for unemployment benefits. That would save a ton. (Of course, we would need to exempt that requirement for higher income white applicants)… This way we could both lower premiums and increase payouts to those who qualify - a win, win. Albeit, some of that increased payout would trickle down to the undeserving.

The War on Poverty is not over. It has simply morphed into the War on the Poor.

As always, the fascists label their targets (the poor, unions, etc.) and rant about how they ruin the country. Meanwhile, they and their supporters, like Wall St., the banksters, the corporatists, Thugs and Dumocrats, are the only ones documented by history to have caused the economy to crash ( more than once!!).
The madness continues in plain sight while they burn effigies at the stake. And the crowd goes crazy!!!