Home | About | Donate

With Corporate Media Abdicating Duty to Cover Climate Crisis, Sanders to Host Town Hall on Bold Green Initiatives

With Corporate Media Abdicating Duty to Cover Climate Crisis, Sanders to Host Town Hall on Bold Green Initiatives

Julia Conley, staff writer

Continuing his promotion of issues and solutions that are too often ignored by corporate media outlets, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) is turning once again to the internet and social media to air a town hall dedicated to the climate crisis and renewable energy.

1 Like

This seems like preaching to the choir. It can’t substitute for adequate coverage by the big TV networks. John Kerry on Book TV this weekend was really good on climate change. Having been so involved in getting the Paris Climate Accord he has a real understanding of the international situation and was pretty blunt about the overall situation.

3 Likes

This will be lived streamed. However, as many people watch MSM and probably will not even know about this, I respectfully suggest to Senator Sanders that we have actual Town Hall meetings of this issue to educate as many people we can and can reach out to those who don’t use the internet necessarily. I will certainly tune in, however.

4 Likes

Only the most stagnant & lazy minds depend on corporate TV for information.

4 Likes

I can’t help think of the elderly farmer and his wife and their dog heading in after a day of work. The old man and dog bringing in the livestock and ma getting supper ready. The weather report is the old mans scan of the western sky as the sun sets, and tomorrows weather is no guarantee. They live far enough from a city that the air and water are fresh and clean and the worries of the world are of no concern to them. They could care less about any ones computer or internet service to get information, and their minds are not a bit stagnant or lazy thank you very much.

2 Likes

You have a grasp of the generality of situation. My amazing sister has no access to the internet, watches little television,(c-span) somewhat I guess, but does have the gift of gab and converses with people all day long and somehow always has a good grasp of all of the daily garbage goings on. Now if you truly want to be an in depth person of knowledge on these subjects you need the rights tools admittedly.

2 Likes

Kiss hope goodbye on this issue. Mankind fiddled. The planet burned.

End of story except the part where the chaos and body counts add up.

I admire Sander for trying, but reaching people not already informed will be so difficult. I have trouble getting even educated people to pay attention, because its seen as hopeless, or too complicated, or tech will save us without their help, or they don’t care if civilization collapses. TV networks, driven by ratings, know that climate coverage wont get enpugh viewers.

2 Likes

“…millions of people ro demand fundamental changes to our energy policy”
It not only about changing iur energy policy…so…if we manage to get up a monumental amount renewable energy…Are we still going to allow 1100private jets to go to the Superbowl?? What about other games…there must be what .100 or more private jets going to one regular game?? Are we still going to live like princes and prince?? Having anything we want…any time?? Food flown across the country out of season?? I love my coffee…but …damn…what am I doing to the atmosphere by it’s transport (by deisel ship?) …

I would go for thst …can I be one of the teachers.?? I have been studying this now for 14 years…

1 Like

Thank you, Senator Bernie Sanders, for your attention to this critical matter!

Two weeks from tonight, and I’ve marked my calendar for this.

It is time for the Green New Deal, and Bernie is leading the drive.

2 Likes

Dear Commondreams EDITOR: What is up with this? “depleting the ozone layer oil and gas extraction.” For one thing, the ozone layer and greenhouse gas emissions are two rather different things. The Montreal Protocol dealt with ozone layer protection rather successfully by addressing the causes and providing alternatives to the products destroying the ozone; the greenhouse gas issue contributes to climate change as a result of massive fossil fuel extraction and combustion. Secondly, the phrasing makes no sense. Can you please edit before you publish? Some of us depend on your journalism skills to interpret our world, and this kind of nonchalance about your publications diminishes faith and hope. Keep up the good work, and don’t let the bastards get you down. One planet.