Home | About | Donate

With "Death" of CETA, Campaigners Say EU's Pro-Corporate Trade Agenda Now "In Tatters"

With "Death" of CETA, Campaigners Say EU's Pro-Corporate Trade Agenda Now "In Tatters"

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

With a Monday deadline, the European Union failed to reach consensus on the pending Canada-EU trade agreement, prompting campaigners to celebrate what they declared to be its final demise.

Channeling Mark Twain, I think that the rumors of the demise of CETA are greatly exaggerated.
The 0.1% do not give up that easily.
Like a Phoenix rising from the ashes, something far worse will undoubtedly replace it momentarily.
The battle will go on and on...

Speaking of doomed corporate deals there is the AT&T-Time Warner merger.
Even Fascist Donald Trump says that that merger is Capitalism gone nuts. Hillary thinks that it might be OK.

Trump said, "...deals like this destroy democracy, because it's too much concentration of power in the hands of too few."
Hillary said she was "skeptical" about the merger and that "regulators should scrutinize it closely."

Once again Hillary does not take a position on the destruction of the American worker at the hands of corporations.
That's because she sides with the oligarchy against the people at every turn.

Clinton Has His Vote, But Sanders Vows to Stand Firm Against Dem Backsliding

Oh, Trudeau--you are young, cute, and just as clueless as every other politician. Such high hopes we had for you but phhhtttt--you blew out so fast it was dizzying.

I have to agree. The fascist (corporate-led government) elite only follow the rules when they are convenient. When they are not, they change or ignore them.

Is it time for the Green Party to field candidates in Canada ?

TRIPS: The Story of How Intellectual Property Became Linked to Trade (1/7)

The Clinton team are expressing their hatred of people who are against the TPP, TPIP, CETA, and all the other terrible "trade" deals They are calling us uninformed, low information voters and obstructionist. People do not understand how toxic Clinton will be to global trade and to so many other areas.. It is not a good scenario.

"WikiLeaks"
"There is no US election. There is power consolidation. Rigged primary, rigged media and rigged 'pied piper' candidate drive consolidation."

"RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE"

You forgot Obama. He's done the same he just frames it in high minded speeches or flat does it behind our backs. He's a corporate elitist like the rest.

Good news if it stays dead. In Colorado they just frame it differently and then run it through again the next election. All the trade agreements must die, all of them.

Viva Wallonia!

Good for Canada, great for democracy on both sides of the Atlantic. It took the determination of a government of just part of one of the smaller countries in Europe to stand up for all of us and for whatever sliver we still have left of democracy on both sides of the Atlantic and against the interests of the large, mostly American corporations.

Shame on the governments of of the big countries in Europe and of Canada, who have abandoned democracy.
Now it is up to us to kill the TTIP. We cannot expect tiny Wallonia to do all the heavy lifting on that one as well.
That goes for the TPP as well there we do not even have Wallonia to help us out on this one

They already have:
See: https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Elizabeth+May
The Liberals have taken much wind out of their sails, by copying much of their pro-environment agenda and by having a higher degree of electability.

Good to hear about Canadian Green Party member Elizabeth May...I will read her books !

I wouldn't expect too much from the Canadian Greens. They are a far cry from Stein and Baraka -- to the right of the U.S. Greens and with no coherent political line. On the other hand, they are not as warlike as the German Green Party, which long ago cast its lot with the imperialists (supporting the attack on and dismemberment of Yugoslavia).

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. Looking at the maps in the video, much of what is outslde the TRIPS agreement is in the Muslim world. Maybe wars of control are more than just about oil?

We need to concentrate on re-establishing a legitimate progressive movement in the US to counteract the years of (Dem Party) neoliberal politics. Without this, the US overall will continue to sink. Consider that the overall quality of life in the US went from #1 when Reagan was first elected, down to #48 by the time Obama was elected, and the next eight years promise to be very, very difficult.

Even though I am all for free trade, I salute the Walloons. Why Canada of all nations would try to slip an undemocratic and inhumane trade bill through the EU is beyond me, unless the US was behind it, attempting to create a precedent for the much larger TTIP which still has to be approved.

Small correction: Copying the rhetoric of the Greens' pro-environment agenda, not the agenda.

You got it!. They all ( politicians ) seem to have the same bosses no matter where in the world they are. It seems our pretty face is no different than all the rest . A lot of disappointed people up here..