Home | About | Donate

With Defiant 'Unilateral Action,' Catalonia Approves Measure for Independence

With Defiant 'Unilateral Action,' Catalonia Approves Measure for Independence

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

Catalonia's regional parliament on Monday approved a plan for independence from Spain, adopting a resolution that they say could allow the autonomous region to secede by 2017.

The motion in the wake of pro-independence parties winning a majority of seats in parliament in September 2014 and calls for the assembly to start hammering out details for a separate social security system and treasury within 30 days.

And that wobbly little financial dictatorship known as the EU continues to rattle.

Good luck, Catalanese. You'll need it all.

72 to 63 is 53%, not 80%

There's blue skies across the bay,
Sunshine on December days,
And white horses over the waves,
That fall on Catalonia,
The northern winter's dull and grey,
And peace so easily slips away,
Many's the young one sails away,
To fight in Catalonia.

Barcelona's dressed in banners bright,
And ballad singers in the night,
With voices high they tell of the fight,
That breaks in Catalonia,
The world's eyes turn on Spain,
Where everyone's a child again,
And right and wrong it seems so plain,
On roads to Catalonia.

On mountain slopes in pallid sun,
Ragged soldiers sing a song,
The boy so soon becomes a man,
On hills in Catalonia,
And frost turns the trenches white,
And sentries shiver in the night,
And snipers kill in the early light,
From peaks in Catalonia.

There's sleepless nights and endless days,
When dice are thrown and cards are played,
The young one learns a soldiers ways,
On hills in Catalonia.
But there the soldier finds no fame,
And many will never see home again,
The lucky ones they catch the train,
For leave in Catalonia.

In railway cars the soldiers dream,
Of feather beds and Spanish wine,
With girls who're waiting by the line,
For trains in Catalonia,
In Barcelona no one speaks,
And tired soldiers find no peace,
And spies haunt the empty streets,
Of towns in Catalonia.

In river valleys and mountain sides,
Soldiers now are force to hide,
The fate of Spain the world decides,
And that of Catalonia.
The sun sinks in the Spanish sky,
And darkness comes to hide the lie,
The young ones now must run or die,
On the fields of Catalonia.

But flowers bloom in the Spanish Spring,
And small birds they find their wings,
And hope sings on summer winds,
To those of Catalonia,
On old fields new seed is grown,
And not in vain the good die young,
For those of heart this song is sung,
For the child of Catalonia.

(Phil & June Colclough)

(Sung by Eleanor Shanley on Dé Danann's Jacket of Batteries, it's exceptionally beautiful and poignant)

Uh-I believe that a majority would like the opportunity to vote on independence. If it comes to an actual vote, Catalonia is divided right down the middle.That-according to yesterday's El Pais.If a vote for independence squeaks by with-say-a 51% majority, you have a mess. In Scotland, the trouncing handed the pro-independence side in the referendum still left a lot of pissed off people-even though the margin of victory was 10%.

I was just commenting on the discrepancy in the story. Given my vexed and vexing relationship with numbers, I was quite proud of myself for catching it.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Sorry Mairead, the 80% was from a 2014 symbolic referendum.
Not the recent vote.
It matters not really.
But last i heard their is still self contained anarchist collectives in thise hills from 80 or years ago that produce goods and share the income They were basically immune to the devastaing recession that produced 25% unemployment.
Or maybe that was the Basque region just to the west?
Is that song from the franco era?

Spain doesnt really care that much about the people they just dont want to lose the Barcelona football club! A(sic)
And also fear the loss of other states such as Basque.

By international law any state has he right to break its alliance with one nation and vote to leave that state to either be an independent nation or join with another. The region wanting to break free DOES NOT NEED THE PERMISSION OF THE STATE THEY WANT TO LEAVE. Hawaii wants get free of the United States. They never agreed to be made part of the United States. The Confederacy had the right to secede. I'd like California to get out of the United States. On our state flag it says, THE REPUBLIC OF CALIFORNIA.

Democracy functions better in smaller areas. The United States is too large to serve the needs of the people in the states. All California gets out of being in the union is more federal taxes to fund endless wars of plunder while our needs at home are not met. I hope that Catalonia and Hawaii are successful in their effort to be a sovereign nation and that California follows their lead.

I had no idea this was international law. Do you have any links that would allow me to verify?

Are you saying that the north broke the law by not letting the Confederacy succeed?

I believe I read somewhere that one of the reasons the Catalan question poses a difficult predicament is the fact that Europeans haven't formalized a process by which new countries can come into existence, within Europe. That's why I'm a bit surprised to hear that international law already covers this type of redrawing of maps. I think Catalans would love it if there was just a process they could follow and be done with it. They have been diligently following "processes" set by the Spanish state to no avail, which is one of the many frustrations that have led to the present discontent, and consequent desire to leave Spain.

One last question: does international law allow a country to expel a state from itself? This is similar to "any state has the right to break its alliance with one nation", but in the situation I'm asking the desire to "break" comes from the larger entity. Say, the US decides that it is fed up with Texas and decides to "break" from it (all non-Texan Americans democratically vote to break from Texas, effectively expelling Texas from the union). Does international law cover this type of situation?

No, it's about the '37 civil war, but Phil Colclough is my age and June was just a year younger. Wonderful songwriters.

Franco led the fascists in that war and won.
An aside note, notable writers and thinkers, like Ernest Heminway were drawn to "fight" on the "communist" side.
And orwell, mr 1984 himself actually did fight

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.