Home | About | Donate

With Early Results In, Ireland Poised to Make History in Gay Marriage Vote

With Early Results In, Ireland Poised to Make History in Gay Marriage Vote

Nadia Prupis, staff writer

Ireland appears set to become the world's first nation to legalize same-sex marriage by popular vote, with an early vote count showing widespread support of the measure and even the opposition wondering how big the approval would be.

The trend indicates that the final vote will be at least a 2-1 majority for the yes side. The final results are expected Saturday afternoon.

Irish Prime Minister Edna Kenny, who supports marriage equality, said the vote was sending "a message of pioneering leadership" from the Irish people.

Does anyone understand WHY homosexuality is being promoted in the media of the "international community"?

A concern for human rights? I think not.

As long as people are fighting over gay marriage and abortions, the oligarchy can advance its policies for the rich. Happens at every election. More people are wising up about it though which is good. The guy who ran for the Senate in Colorado concentrated only on women's vaginas lost.

del wrong article

It's true, gay marriage doesn't reduce the profits of the 1%. But it's still a great victory. And not just for gay people.

Now the Republicans won't be able to use it as a wedge issue, and we can go on to the $15 minimum wage & other advances which will benefit and unify workers.

Note to Cloud and Port. The oligarchy will continue to do what it does. You want to fight it? Great. Don't throw stones at our allies. Get out and organize. Concentrate on what we all want and need.

Uruguay doesn't count? Ireland is not the first country to legalize same sex marriage. Uruguay legalized it almost 2 years back, in August 2013.

Damn it, who spilled the beans???

I don't know who it was, but we'll find out soon enough. We already store every email, tweet, text, call and post. Pretty soon we'll have every conversation and personal location tracking too, with video feeds when we can't get your GPS signal.

When we catch the leaker they're going straight to the prison continent - down under.

Ha Ha! Just joking George Paloka of 3275 Sumerset Lane. Better head downstairs. Don't want your wife to hear when your girlfriend calls you in 3...2...1..

Raising half a shot of Paddy's to the Irish.

If they had marriage equality and abortion right I'd raise a full shot.

Still, nice to see progress.

I like the reason you give, Cloudchopper.

The PTB are also very keen on reducing world population, and increasing homosexuality will certainly contribute to that.