Home | About | Donate

With Economy Still in Deep Recession, Millionaire Trump Adviser Complains $600-Per-Week Boost in Unemployment Benefits Is Too Generous

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/15/economy-still-deep-recession-millionaire-trump-adviser-complains-600-week-boost

2 Likes

Dow futures are off around -500 points at this writing. Asian & European markets have been tanking to start the week, at the distressing sight of Texas, Florida, and California (and Arizona, and the State of Etcetera) losing control of their COVID-19 outbreaks. Worried about beds, again.

Also: Late Capitalism appears to be collapsing. Please stay tuned.

6 Likes

While I have come to have very low expectations of the MSM and of “journalists” like Jake Tapper in particular, but once again Tapper didn’t address the real problem with the $600 per week unemployment stipend, and that of course is that $600 is sadly more than the average American makes in a week.
This pandemic has laid bare America’s biggest economic problem, the fact that the USA is in the midst of a second gilded age and of course that most Americans live in a feudal system has become plainly obvious, at least to everyone other than Jake Tapper and Larry Kudlow.
I would sit here and hold my breath waiting for Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi to address systemic inequality but I really don’t feel like turning blue and passing out first thing in the morning.

17 Likes

Alternative strategy:

1. Raise the minimum wage to a living wage that allows enough to support one adult and one child (see what that is in your county at ~https://livingwage.mit.edu) for full time work and include a short term apprenticeship category at a lower rate for training.

2. Provide jobs through a Green New Deal and a National Public Health Readiness program

5 Likes

It seems that even capitalists are disturbed by the reports of full hospitals and the sites of “soup” lines in most of the southern and western states ( here in southwestern PA, despite not being hit that hard in the first wave, we still see mile long lines at our local food banks and other charities multiple times per week)
Many people would say that this is an example of late stage failed capitalism. What it is in reality, is simply capitalism. This is how it works (or doesn’t work, for the masses at least). And we are now witnessing the actual next stage of capitalism begin, and that of course is the establishment of proto-fascist governments all around the world.
We are just catching on to the facts that, A) the south did indeed win the American Civil War, and B) the fascists did indeed win World War II.
I am encouraged by the recent uprisings in America, however, I can’t help but wonder where that movement goes from here without the support of one of the major American political parties and almost no recognition from the corporate media.

7 Likes

People should wake up and understand we don’t have to do what millionaires and billionaires tell us to do. Old people at that with old beliefs that never change,no wonder evolution is so slow on this planet.
Time for some reflection on what works for the highest good of all .

5 Likes

We do until we stop electing Democrats and Republicans.

3 Likes

Debet jubilee starting with those below the 50% on the economic ladder and working on a planned slow move upward.

3 Likes

Kudlow is Trash.
He was pulled from The Trash-Heap by Trump because he is a Sycophantic Flatter Ala Ben Carson.

We have the WORST Collection of Politicians and Political/Government appointees AND Options…
I am sickened by it all.

I WILL Support and Vote For Joe Biden…because We CANNOT Allow Trump and Company to remain. If trump WERE to prevail in November…Our Republic would Cease to Exist by January 2021.

5 Likes

Neoliberals are against “living wages” “on principle” - This is so wages fall whenever jobs are scarce, profits they feel entitlled to under capitalism, where the profits go to the owners, period.

They feel entitled to falling wages and huge windfalls, when jobs are scarce.

So they want to see wages fall a lot due to COVID-19. Even if workplaces with inadequate protections against COVID-19 may be dangerous, workers lack health benefits and wages should rise, due to heightened dangers, some are still determined for wages to fall. “Because of supply and demand”.

Whether a wage is a living wage? They don’t care. They won’t go there. Thats the employee’s problem. Its the same for health care. They want to replace US healthcare workers with foreign subcontractors and pay them less than they are worth if they can. A big part of GATS is labor arbitrage. To break the backs of unions and the healthcare workforce. They won’t raise the minimum wage also because of FTAs like GATS, FTAs may even be interpreted as blocking increases in minimum wages, if the minimum wages apply to foreign firms. If they dont, wages for subcontractors will fall way below minimum wage.

You should re-read Skala. Here is the link. Skala talks a lot about the toxic ideology in FTAs.
Note that he breaks down GATS provisions and illustrates what the effects of each of them would be on proposals to save money for healthcare at that time. Your criticisms are not viable because under the circumstances. (a nationwide cover up of the capture of our healthcare by anti-Democratic trade deals) its impossible to ignore a binding trade agreement, as it was signed into law on December 8, 1994 and became law January 1, 1995. What is needed is a national nonviolent protests, and a die in, at the offices of both insurance companies and tstae legislatures and The Capital hill legislators who oppose leaving the GATS. Please read the last few pages of his paper for an announcement to the world of our intent to leave this trap and not allow our nation’s capture. I can see you are trying to avoid a national discussion on GATS. That discussion needs to happen.

~http://www.pnhp.org/sites/default/files/Nick%20Skala%20GAT%20and%20Health%20Reform.pdf

The world will understand whats been done to us if we need to figure out a way through this.
A million poor Americans have died while our healthcare has been rigged, thats a crime against humanity.

The US is very anti public healthcare so people will understand - outside the USA, They will understand that having a peaceful election is important, while we find a candidate who will support a peaceful transition to a single payer system that does not further institutionalize such a huge dishonesty.
Because Biden will do nothing to help us, how could he as helping anything that violates the GATS is prohibited by GATS.
~https://www.citizen.org/documents/PC_Gats_Backgrounder_05-05.pdf

. We tend to be rather forceful with other countries in trying to compel the mangled care system onto other countries. Its inconceivable that we would ever allow a peaceful transition here, so we never had a primary, we are not having an election now because there is no choice that is not corporatocracy, and even when Bernie was running, he was not empowered to make any change because single payer healthcare was taken off the table 25 yrs ago.

We now have a corporatocracy. We dont have democracy, so we cant vote for the chanes we want, are we supposed to act like this was legitimate? Its not.

Not calling this theft for what it is is cooperating with a corporate takeover.

J Health Soc Behav. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2010 Oct 28.

Published in final edited form as:

J Health Soc Behav. 2004; 45(Suppl): 136–157.

PMCID: PMC2965354

NIHMSID: NIHMS238436

PMID: [15779471]

~https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15779471

Multinational Corporations and Health Care in the United States and Latin America: Strategies, Actions, and Effects

~https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2965354/

Abstract

In this article we analyze the corporate dominance of health care in the United States and the dynamics that have motivated the international expansion of multinational health care corporations, especially to Latin America. We identify the strategies, actions, and effects of multinational corporations in health care delivery and public health policies. Our methods have included systematic bibliographical research and in-depth interviews in the United States, Mexico, and Brazil. Influenced by public policy makers in the United States, such organizations as the World Bank, International Monetary Fund, and World Trade Organization have advocated policies that encourage reduction and privatization of health care and public health services previously provided in the public sector.

Multinational managed care organizations have entered managed care markets in several Latin American countries at the same time as they were withdrawing from managed care activities in Medicaid and Medicare within the United States. Corporate strategies have culminated in a marked expansion of corporations’ access to social security and related public sector funds for the support of privatized health services. International financial institutions and multinational corporations have influenced reforms that, while favorable to corporate interests, have worsened access to needed services and have strained the remaining public sector institutions. A theoretical approach to these problems emphasizes the falling rate of profit as an economic motivation of corporate actions, silent reform, and the subordination of polity to economy. Praxis to address these problems involves opposition to policies that enhance corporate interests while reducing public sector services, as well as alternative models that emphasize a strengthened public sector.

The process of globalization raises several problems regarding health care and public health. Influenced by public policy makers in the United States, such organizations as the World Bank, International Monetary Fund (IMF), and World Trade Organization (WTO) have advocated policies that encourage reduction and privatization of health care and public health services previously provided in the public sector

(Stocker et al. 1999; Iriart et al. 2001; Rao 1999; Turshen 1999; World Health Report 2000). These policies in turn have affected policies of the World Health Organization (WHO), the Pan American Health Organization, and the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH). The latter organizations have accepted funding from the World Bank and have initiated programs influenced by the Bank’s policies (NIH Fogarty International Center 2002; McMichael and Beaglehole 2000).

In addition to these non-commercial organizations, multinational corporations based in the United States have expanded worldwide. Managed care organizations, health care consulting firms, and pharmaceutical and medical equipment companies have entered foreign markets. U.S. industrial corporations also have operated in foreign countries; the participation of workers and the promotion of products in those countries have raised concerns about the impacts on local economies, environmental health, and occupational health (Kim et al. 2000). The “flight” of multinational corporations to foreign sites with less costly labor and environmental regulations has led to unemployment and loss of health insurance benefits for U.S. workers (Stocker et al. 1999; Kim et al. 2000). As MCOs have faced declining rates of profit in U.S. markets, they have entered foreign markets, usually seeking access to public social security funds designated for health care and retirement benefits (Iriart et al. 2001). When MCOs shift their focus to foreign public trust funds as a source of new capital, they tend to withdraw from U.S. Medicare and Medicaid markets, with consequent disruption of services for patients.

The US should withdraw from GATS and GPA and reject deals like all of them that outsource our environmental and energy jobs, and all other public jobs, so we can set up good paying jobs programs that allow our young people to get decent jobs with a future. Our jobs are not an entitlement of foreign countries, a bargaining chip to help the rich line their pockets.

Do you agree?

Politicians had no right to trade away our young peoples jobs, thats what we should be saying.

Of course jobs should pay enough to live. If a job is undertaken in the US it must pay enough to live. And at least a legal US wage.

this is why GATS Mode Four should not be allowed to take over our workplaces and replace our workforces. Until quite recently, these body shop firms were able to totally ignore our minimum wage laws and pay their foreign engineers and programmers whatever they wanted

See ~http://www.tilj.org/content/journal/42/num1/Worster55.pdf
and ~https://www.morganlewis.com/pubs/uscis-appeals-panel-rules-on-l-1b-employment and especially ~https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/nativedocuments/2017-4-12-PM-602-0143-Matter-of-I-Corp-Adopted-AAO-Decision.pdf

We need to prevent the resumption of indentured servitude and restore our jobs to be avaialable to our own young people and their futures. The plan is to start with the good jobs and work downward (outsourcing) but that does not mean the lowest paying jobs wont be outsourced, if we lose the ability to have a quota, they will. What wil our young people do then?

3 Likes

Also, young people should not have to take on debt to fund an education. Self improvemen,t on their part, is good for all of us.

3 Likes

Agreed - the entire conservative side of the political spectrum plus the neoliberals all have that attitude. Traditional liberals, progressives, and leftists feel the opposite. I have found lots of people willing to consider the idea of a living wage though - so I think it is important that we advocate for it.

2 Likes

For those who find Zed’s commentaries about the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS) a bit too prolix, here is a decent summary of the GATS.

^https://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/serv_e/gatsqa_e.htm

This summary was published by the WTO, so it is obviously biased in favor of GATS. Those who read between the lines, though, can see the diabolical handiwork of aspiring global fascists.

2 Likes

People like Kudlow spend more than $600 eating one meal. And as some have pointed out, the fact that $600 is more than some folks normally makes means they are being paid far too low for their labor. It is time to confiscate all the oligarchs ill gotten wealth and spread it around to those who actually need it.

6 Likes

Good solutions, but missing the key element of people working is safe conditions. That’s the big impediment right now.

Of course, a green job, by definition, is one in which worker safety is a main priority.

1 Like

Absolutely. Hopefully, people realize that I wasn’t implying that my little two point list was trying to be comprehensive (e.g. I also agree with others above who have pointed out the importance of debt in this picture). I’ll have to work on my seven thousand two hundred and twenty three point plan.

1 Like

It’s interesting that low-life con artist Larry Kudlow is so concerned about citizens being overpaid for unemployment. He seems perfectly fine with companies scamming the system through the Payroll Protection Program.

(h)ttps://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/larry-kudlow-backs-mnuchin-call-not-to-disclose-recipitants-of business-loans-from-coronavirus-stimulus/ar-BB15thca?ocid=spartandhp

How many companies are living up to the program to keep their employees on payroll?
Larry Kudlow doesn’t want you to know that answer.

8 Likes

How dare you make such a broad generalization; I’M AN OLD PERSON AND I’VE BEEN LIBERAL ALL MY LIFE, SO YOU GO TO HELL, INGRATE!!!
[rolls eyes]

We get it, boomers: not all of you were McCarthyists who ignored climate change. We get that it’s unfair to those of you who fought the good fight all your lives for people to criticize your generation without specifying that you, specifically, were an exception. But you guys should chill with these “not all old people” overreactions - evidently, it was enough old people to cause the levels of disaffection you see from youngsters.

they’re obviously worried about people going back to work, because the reality is that half the people receiving this benefit are making much more than they ever did working. The building I[m living in is replete with former low wage workers having a good old time on their new found promotions.

so they’re not wrong about this being a significant disincentive to work for a large number of people. that’s true. but that only highlights how awful wages for workers have been to where a 3200 buck a month unemployment resembles a lottery hit for millions of people.

this is going to be the cost of social peace in the future anyway, since fewer and fewer workers are needed to keep things going, so they might as well get used to the new “welfare” system. Or prepare to be toppled. Either way.

1 Like

Yes, BigB, Larry Kudlow, who, BTW, is the first economic adviser in history to not even have a degree in Economics, is nothing but the same kind of stock-market ‘shill’ — like “Sunshine” Charlie Mitchell (President on First National City Bank, now CITI) in the “Great Crash” [John Kenneth Galbraith] — who walked onto the floor of the NYSE, waving ‘buy-orders’, and yelling, “We have support from the syndicate, and J.P. Morgan” to try to turn the collapsing market around — which he did for a few days, but then, as was described by Galbraith, the jagged teeth of the rip saw just continued to cut through the flesh and down to the bone.

Jake Tapper, of course is part of the Disguised Global Crony Capitalist EMPIRE’s ‘media/propaganda/TVad/social media’ sector, which is only one of the 7 sectors of the Empire: corporate, financial, militarist, extra-legal, media/propaganda/TVad/social media, CFR ‘Plot-Tanks’, and lastly the dual-party, Vichy-facade of faux-democracy in both the “rougher-talking” neocon ‘R’ Vichy Party of the Empire and the “smoother-lying” neoliberal-con ‘D’ Vichy Party of the exact same effin EMPIRE.

My demonstration, march, and protest signs — which I’ve used in Portland, Maine and Portsmouth, NH. weekly since 2017 had simply said on two sides to join Bernie in:

“Our Revolution”
TO DUMP
EMPEROR TRUMP

and on the other side for the younger generation:

GET ‘WOKE’ &
‘FOLK’ THE
EMPIRE

But now, my newer BLM sensitive double-sided demonstration, march, and protest signs incorporate and simply say:

“I CAN’T BREATHE”
WITH EMPIRE’S
KNEE ON MY NECK

and on the other side simply say:

GET ‘WOKE’ AND
‘FOLK’ THE EMPIRE
BLACK LIVES MATTER

Brother Cornel West, Chris Hedges, Kevin Zeese, et. al. are all totally correct — that EMPIRE is the seminal cancerous disease infecting all Issues.

[All sign text is centered, of course]

1 Like