Home | About | Donate

With 'Flailing' Debate on Half-Measure Plans, Say Progressives, Biden and Harris Accidentally Made Case for Medicare for All

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/01/flailing-debate-half-measure-plans-say-progressives-biden-and-harris-accidentally

2 Likes

Good lowered! That white guy sounds like his noodle’s cooked. No wonder they don’t let him out much,

5 Likes

I watched a bit against my better judgement. What a shi**how…
None of this crowd should ever to elected to dog catcher…let alone the Presidency. A bunch of gutless weenies with no real ideas…

11 Likes

IN 2004 thru 2008, Biden’s plan would have saved me $4,000 per year compared to the employers offering, which I purchased. And that had $5,000 annual deductible too boot.
Never used.
Life insurance was not used much either !!

1 Like

Man, these “debates” were like watching three monkeys trying to fuck a bowling ball.

8 Likes

Why is the author ignoring the most honest, straight-talking person on the stage last night? Tulsi Gabbert was fearless in stating that insurance companies and big pharma are profiting off sick people and have too much incentive to keep it that way. She stated clearly and with conviction that these companies should not be writing legislation or even be sitting at the table.

20 Likes

It is, at times, truly depressing to listen to this rabble of disconnected politicians and their corporate backers feeding them talking points to misdirect the public. However, it seems to me the dam has broken and the corporate center of the democratic party is collapsing. The speed of the decline is remarkable and it is clear that real progressive candidates are picking off the corporatist like flies. I would expect that over the next few weeks, at least 10 candidates, all low tier corporate democrats will drop out. Bernie, Warren, Williamson and Gabbard will move forward and this spells trouble for the corporatists. They can’t hide and they are being exposed for what they are, apologists and dupes for the rich. This makes them look weak and leaves the public wondering why they are running for president.

In the end, there still might be sufficient low information voters to scrap someone like Biden through the door. Its a risky bet. However, I will end this commentary with a simple question. At this moment in time, if you were running for office, who would you rather be? A corporate democrat or a progressive. It tells you everything.

10 Likes

In the M4All debate, one of the first things one needs to do is to dismiss these half truth claims about overall cost and that people’s taxes will go up. A complete picture has to also include the overall costs of business as usual and these half-baked alternatives to M4All in comparison AND the savings in healthcare costs that will more than make up for any tax increase for the vast majority of Americans. Let’s emphasize - no premiums, no deductibles, no co-pays, no co-insurance in a true M4All plan (Sanders-Jayapal).

8 Likes

From the article :

Harris’s proposal ‘would preserve a major role for private insurance.’

If it’s private insurance, then it ain’t Medicare.

6 Likes

At the time of inception of Obamacare, Barack Obama made very clear that it was designed as transition. Biden, Harris and others will be stuck in transition on this and other issues forever. These are limbo politicians. They are not bold enough.

6 Likes

Implement Sanders’s M4A plan completely. Allow private insurers to offer the EXACT same coverage. Allow the “consumer” (how I hate that word) to choose… Of course they cant do it. Medicare runs about 4% overhead whereas private insurers run about 30%.

But of course this idea of mine is bad. The insurance companies are weasels and would find a way to subvert the system. Biden and Harris are fighting tooth and nail for their constituents, the insurance companies. Biden especially is SUCH a weasel.

5 Likes

ROFL!! A rather significant upgrade from a monkey fukkin a football !!

1 Like

AND she’s anti war. The “press”, bought and paid for, will never allow her to get any traction. The press has decided that republican Joe Biden is the front runner.

6 Likes

Rich people who have never had to pay a deductible, because they are so rich they can afford a private insurance plan that doesn’t have deductibles, just don’t understand. They don’t no matter how much they try to act like they do. People just want to be able to go to a Dr when they are sick and don’t want to have to go broke or in debt in order to do so.

5 Likes

Clearly neither Biden or Harris (among others) are “ready for prime time”, or to abandon their servitude to for-profit health insurance parasites and support real not-for-profit universal Single Payer! “Out of their depth” an understatement.

The real “bunch of malarkey” from Ramblin Joe Biden.does spotlight his endless servitude to the profits and power of the insurance industry lobby to maintain those billions siphoned-off health-care in middlemen thefts.

Thanks to Bernie and Liz we do have some rational, articulate, perspective on how deceptive the rubbish obtusely defending for-profit middlemen is, especially from Biden defending “Obamacare”!.
He is NOT the one!

4 Likes

It took a lot of courage for Harris to say she came up with her BS phony plan after listening to voters, when we all know that the voters she is listening to are those drug and insurance companies who are financing her campaign.
Try to imagine someone saying this: “what I want most is to have to wait 10 years for Medicare coverage.”

10 Likes

One of the oldest aphorisms in politics:
If you’re explaining, you’re losing.

Here’s your over/under: Seven d-party candidates drop out of the race by mid September.
Go ahead, make your call in a reply below. It’s fun, man.

4 Likes

All those monthly premiums I paid over the years cost me thousands and thousands of dollars, thanks to the ACA and whatever we had before that. I never met my deductible because I’m healthy so all that money went down the drain, or more likely, helped pay for some insurance exec’s yacht. Yet I can barely afford a canoe. Those corporate dems want more of the same and are not on your side.

11 Likes

Doggone it !!
I’ll miss some of the contenders.
But, Cleveland Brown’s winning it all will uplift spirits all over the world.
Take the over.

2 Likes

No need to fret everyone. The New York Times this morning established (like they did Hillary) Biden the front runner. They’ve anointed their establishment pick for POTUS, so all of us just need to get in line.

Deja vu all over again and no surprise.

This election is Trump’s to lose.

5 Likes