Home | About | Donate

With 'Irrevocable Injustice' on the Line, Democratic Lawmakers Demand Trump Admin Put Brakes on Federal Killing Spree

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/11/14/irrevocable-injustice-line-democratic-lawmakers-demand-trump-admin-put-brakes

5 Likes

I am irrevocably against the death penalty, but I migh have to make an exception for: Trump, Pence, Barr, Mitch, Graham and Pompeo!

10 Likes

I would laugh but its just not funny. Every country that has abolished capital punishment has…wait for it…LOWER rates of violent crime. Death penalty is NOT a deterrent! not at all. Most on death row have IQs so low they dont even understand the consequences of their actions. Or they are POC falsely accused, or they are hapless victims of abuse who finally struck back. The death penalty is state sanctioned murder and sends a message to the so-called “free” people in the US.That message?The state can kill you anytime and for any reason it chooses, and its so powerful that it can cover up a deliberate frame or murder.
Canada abolished the death penalty in the 1970s. That, along with rational gun control means?Lower deaths by violent crimes, lower death rates by a factor of at least 10, based on per capita of gun deaths also.
Its about thinking and using Reason concurrent with compassion. And it should have been abolished in the US?At least?50 YEARS AGO. Like legal abortion, like gay marriage, like gun control stupid! OLD issues that demonstrate what an immature government the US really has…and I mean both democrats!and republicans!When?Will America finally grow the F up and join the civilized world here in the 21st century.
Geez…death penalty…come on!

14 Likes

sigh—And Trump’s lies about Covid 19 and his neglect of the People make him the BIGGEST mass murderer in American history. : (

5 Likes

The worst punishment you could give to a fragmented mind is life in prison.

5 Likes

I oppose capital punishment, no matter who, or when or why. It is unsupportable under any circumstances. This is the issue, when I was ten years old, that got me started on the road that’s led to my continuing support for progressive issues. Let us hope that this can be ended. The abolition movement can use your contributions of money and effort.

9 Likes

The violence that our founding fathers envisioned, from killing all native Americans to reinforcing the institutions of slavery, make for a brutal history. The abolition of the death penalty would have gone a long way to convincing Americans and the rest of the world that the U.S. was ready to abandon the idea of perpetuating these atrocities. Instead the U.S. is now responsible for more deaths on the planet than any other country and is the leading contributor to ecocide and the eventual extinction of human life on Earth.
This points to the need of a viable third Party that swears an allegiance to the public interest and thereby rejects all corporate influence. A Party that represents the most basic Progressive principles such as respect for all life, will connect to voters far more than the racist policies of Trump or the unwavering support for perpetual wa that both Party’s rally behind. This recent debacle of our election shows the need for a third Party immediately so that we can at least prepare by eliminating all 33 or 34 Congressional seats that will come up for election in less than two years from now. We must start with Congress to build a Party that shows the electorate that it is not just another corporate sponsored, mainstream Party that uses rhetoric to hoodwink it’s base while throwing the majority of Americans under the proverbial bus to enrich a handful of investors on Wall Street.
At the same time, we must not fall into the trap of our predecessors and demand to “execute” all of the sociopaths that have collectively conspired to prop up the Wall Street vision of America. Instead we should simply remove these people from positions of power permanently and remove the tools they have to subvert a functioning democracy. A kinder and gentler society should be our goal instead of a pissed off, blood thirsty mob hell bent on revenge with demands to hang everyone we feel that contributed to the decades of oligarch oppression.

10 Likes

Very well said! I would only add that if even one person got executed that was innocent, the death penalty is a horrible crime.

7 Likes

Of course, I was being facetious. Life in prison with out parole works for the Trump Mafia.

1 Like

He is like Frankenstein Unbound now. Nothing but Jan. 20 can stop him.

2 Likes

When I was young, I used to read about the horrible conditions of prisons around the developing world and wonder how governments could be so cruel. I never realized that one day America would be the worst place to become incarcerated in the world, besides maybe North Korea and a couple of others with dictators. And I never thought there would be prisons run for profit. What have we become?

9 Likes

What is so laughable (actually very sad) is the evangelical nutcases screaming they are “Pro-life” when it comes to abortion but are in favour of the death penalty.

Most “Pro-lifers” are in reality only Pro-birth - once the baby comes "Hey you are on your own sister!!’

True Pro-life means a willingness to accept a bit higher taxes to make sure all Moms and children don’t go hungry or without shelter.

Americans pride themselves on their freedom yet many gleefully hand the state the right to take lives. Stupid is as stupid does.

7 Likes

Looking at Biden’s record there is little reason to believe he will end the death penalty.

4 Likes

NO DOUBT! LBJ murdered 58,000 Americans in Vietnam, which is minor compared to Trump and he is not done yet!.

1 Like

Don’t just blame LBJ! Nixon was in there like a dirty shirt too.

JFK a little also. Listening to the LBJ and Nixon tapes, our soldiers were little more than chess pieces or cannon fodder.

1 Like

Yeah, how many American soldiers deaths in VN, can be attributed to Nixon I do not know, only that Nixon lied through his teeth when claimed he had a secret plan to end the war in VN.

1 Like

Waffles aren’t irrevocable.

1 Like

Don’t forget that we are dealing with the Klan at the highest positions in government .
Their biggest fears are that whites will someday be the minority. Same mentality which other folks on the other side of the pond are also facing: Palestinians…

1 Like

Where are the anti-abortion folks who profess to be for life on this issue?

3 Likes