Home | About | Donate

With Kids' Screen Time Surging, New Project Aims to Challenge Corporate Profiteering

With Kids' Screen Time Surging, New Project Aims to Challenge Corporate Profiteering

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

"Often missing from the story about screen time is that the entities who benefit most from children being on screens are corporations and marketers."

Stop whining and be a PARENT. Who is in control, the parent or the “0-8 year old”? I sincerely doubt the children are going out and purchasing their own smartphones and iPads…

And they will all be wearing tri-focals by the time they’re 25-30 along with hearing aids as a result of averaging more than 6 hours a day looking at CRT screens and listening to LOUD music in high-performance ear phones (especially the “plug” type). They may not even be able to hear certain sounds in the lower levels/tones…but hey, it was fun while it lasted.

Another physical malady associated with long term daily overuse of I-phones is GLIOMA, a malignant brain cancer, which is on the rise.

The same is true of old people. a lot of kids get their grandparents computers and phones they will probably never figure out how to use.

While I agree about the problems with commercials (which I really don’t see as any different between TV and web based stuff) - I don’t see every minute of screen time being a negative thing. My grandkids have some pretty neat commercial-free educational games that they play that I certainly wish were around when I was a kid or when my children were young.

All these major corps have sold their souls to Beelzebub (Money God), don’t think they have ANY qualms about selling YOURS!!

I’m wondering if there are any studies of the brains of children who have a lot of screen time that can be compared to the normal brains of small kids who are learning how to be human at this period in their development . As in eye to eye time with significant people in their lives,;cuddling , stroking; baby talk and gentle increase in verbal skills. Emotional development, especially, instead of just technical expertise. Seeing three year olds with tablets in their faces and not studying other people and learning about human interactions and behaviour, scares me. No telling what kind of adults they will be. Maybe just robot brains in human bodies?

Throw away your gadgets and start living!

I am with you on all counts!

With Kids’ Screen Time Surging, New Project Aims to Challenge Corporate Profiteering
— Andrea Germanos, staff writer

Or your kids’ . . .

Not to worry!  Once Betsy DeVos has finished dismantling our public schools, she’ll clean up this problem by making sure that there’s only 24/7 brainwashing on the i’net, so your kids will grow up to be good “christian” robots — just like Mike Pence and Jeff Sessions . . .

To the corporate mind, children are mere commodities to be exploited. In the US they are to consume, in China they are to assemble, elsewhere they are to dig, etc. The term “innovation” is constantly bantered about because such children don’t develop innovative minds upon which the very corporations feed. Unregulated, hyper-financialized capitalism will not last. Will it take “civilization” and quite a bit of life on earth with it? Looks that way. The seven deadly sins are hard at work. In fact, corporate culture celebrates and promotes them because sin sells. I let the blades of many a windmill cut into my skull. No more. I just observe and wince because I am leaving no children to inherit my cynicism.

I heartily agree. If human’s extended childhood is a necessity, as it has appeared to be for millennia, then just what is its purpose? Up to now, I had thought it was for children to learn how to survive in the real world. The real world is random and has uncountable numbers of non-scripted interactions. Online games are all scripted and events are within controlled boundaries. What, then, are children learning that relates to survival?

There are thousands of facial expressions that denote important emotions in the person who is making those expressions. video games, irrespective of their putative educational value else wise, and movie/TV cartoons, have no option but to simplify these. Children deeply engaged in screentime have less time to learn, or are not learning at all, how to read and distinguish facial expressions, gestures and body language that carry dangerous implications.

So far, all of the discussions, I have read or seen, of what’s wrong with onscreen time have all been of more trivial aspects rather than focussing attention to the basic survival role of real-world games that children are losing. I don’t know why this vital aspect is missing from the discussions. If I were more cynical, I might suspect that the fox is guarding the hen house and directing the issue away from this fundamental concern.

" It also fund that 42 percent of children 8 and younger… " penultimate par.

Not that I don’t get the pun, but i think you meant “found”.

Yes, and even in those animation or acted shows that are sophisticated enough to show, say 10 of those 1000s of emotional shades, they’e almost always split between exclusively characterological people. That is, almost every person (and anthropomorphized animal) shows a very limited range even of the few emotions the shows do show. Characters are split by both role and face (and body type and movements) into stereotypical (monotypical?) good and evil, victim and perp, hero and passive audience…

People, especially plot-driven functionally and permanently evil people and minor characters (much more likely to be non-white non-male?) don’t develop, and aren’t empathized with because of their one-dimensional expression. (“Expression” meant in multiple ways–facial, cultural, rolial, etceterorial.) Individuals are overwhelmingly the unit shown, the ultimate conservativizing influence—as opposed to the classic and primordial human beginning, Winnicott’s mother-infant unit, and Bateson’s “gene-in-organism, organism-in-environmet, ecosystem” etc. unit.

“Formerly we thought of a hierarchy of taxa–individual, family line, subspecies, species, etc.–as units of survival. We now see a different hierarchy of units–gene-in-organism, organism-in-the-environment, ecosystem, etc. Ecology, in the widest sense, turns out to be the study of the interaction and survival of ideas and programs (i.e., differences, complexes of differences, etc.) in circuits.
Let us now consider what happens when you make the epistemological error of choosing the wrong unit: you end up with the species versus the other species around it or versus the environment in which it operates. Man [sic] against nature. You end up, in fact, with Kaneohe Bay polluted, Lake Erie a slimy green mess, and “let’s build bigger atom bombs to kill off the next-door neighbors.” There is an ecology of bad ideas, just as there is an ecology of weeds, and it is characteristic of the system that basic error propagates itself. It branches out like a rooted parasite through the tissues of life, and everything gets into a rather peculiar mess. When you narrow down your epistemology and act on the premise “What interests me is me, or my organization, or my species,” you chop off consideration of other loops of the loop structure. You decide that you want to get rid of the by-products of human life and that Lake Erie will be a good place to put them. You forget that the eco-mental system called Lake Erie is a part of your wider eco-mental system–and that if Lake Erie is driven insane, its insanity is incorporated in the larger system of your thought and experience.
You and I are so deeply acculturated to the idea of “self” and organization and species that it is hard to believe that man [sic] might view his [sic] relations with the environment in any other way than the way which I have rather unfairly blamed upon the nineteenth-century evolutionists.”

Gregory Bateson, Steps to an Ecology of Mind, p 483-4

That stuffed animal’s words are right: “Put down the screen and go outside.”

Here are the benefits of “green time” for kids (and green time for adults is just as good)

• Supports creativity and problem solving

• Enhances cognitive abilities

• Improves academic performance

• Reduces Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) symptoms. (But not all symptoms of ADD are negative-- i.e. Sir Richard Branson says his ADD is his creative “secret weapon”)

• Increases physical activity

• Reduces stress

• Improves self-discipline.

• Improves social relations.

• Improves eyesight.

• Improves nutrition.

There are increasing problems with ‘green time’. The horrific wildfires in the west. The about to be far worse exposure to toxins in the food, air, earth and water. Children now have food allergies that were unheard of not that long ago. The ever increasing rates of asthma.

We have a lot of problems, and the top of the pile is the toxic infinite greed. It poisons all levels of thought, communication, intent, motivation and physical exposure.

Are a tremendous amount of people with good intentions about to shake themselves out and insist on some priorities that are not stone cold insane?

Hear, hear! And, dump the television brain drain box, too!