Home | About | Donate

With Latest Dystopian Step, Amazon Sparks Worries With Patent on Worker-Tracking Wristband

With Latest Dystopian Step, Amazon Sparks Worries With Patent on Worker-Tracking Wristband

Julia Conley, staff writer

Privacy advocates and labor groups raised concern Thursday over retail giant Amazon's newly-secured patents for a wristband that could be worn by warehouse employees, keeping track of where workers hands go while they're packing delivery boxes.

In the latest productivity-minded move by a company that's notorious for enacting stringent policies to ensure that workers meet targets, Amazon's designs outline a wristband that would vibrate when the wearer's hand moved incorrectly.

Once again, the oligarchs want to impose upon the peasants, that which should be visited upon themselves.

No group of people need to have their hands monitored more, than those in the ownership class. Of course, reining them would only be a stop gap measure, until we can replace them with robo- nah… garden gnomes. Let’s replace those f***ers with garden gnomes.

Effizienz Über Alles

garden gnomes - with fuses…

3…2…1…

And the wristband could send an electrical shock to the worker if his/her hand moved just so incorrectly. Amazon is turning its workers into the Borg collective. Boycott this odious and evil company now.

I have already been asked why I use more time to take orders over the phone than others do. Perhaps it’s because I do little comedy routines in order to put the customers at ease? I work in a small (5 or 6 people) call center, and the management team has already tried using the infamous kaizen method, even though we do not manufacture things. Our general manager is a persnickety bully, and our customer service manager is a combination nosy neighbor and school marm. The owners treat us like liabilities to be dealt with, rather than assets to be appreciated.

The American economy: $10/hour jobs featuring Big brother’s kindly gaze…

If this is not another rallying call to General Strikes and boycotts I don’t know what will be.

Line employees of Amazon, Walmart, FedEx and many other large service corporations need to get their heads out of their behinds and make an effort to become ORGANIZED. As in UNION organized. The large number of workers required to do the grunt work to keep these companies operating have more clout than they might think. Though automation is a big part of these company operations, they can’t operate without large numbers of workers.

The beginnings of UAW representation in the 1930s began with employees fed up with low wages, no benefits, and poor treatment of the workforce. While the struggle for representation was all uphill, the did prevail over the company goons.

Amazon’s plan to require wrist tracking bands for it’s employees could be the spark to ignite the desire for representation, respect, and health and welfare that a strong Union could provide for Amazon and other large retailers.

When the total break down of our rights come, they will be shocked instead of just vibrate. People are cheaper than robots I guess. Watch Robots end up with more rights. This is also likely a preliminary for the debtors prisons - ie. in Ready Player One. I wonder if people are already being shocked by the bracelets somewhere in the world. I bet they are.

Get out of it. Those kind of jobs are replaceable and those people are not healthy to be around. Seriously, I’ve made that mistake. It’s not worth it. Get away from those people.

The national average is $7.25. Also, disabled workers are allowed to be paid 22 cents an hour, which is what Goodwill pays them in some states. Their CEO is a billionaire and it is not a non-profit. Seniors often come with disabilities and make 50 cents and hour or under. Restaurant workers are $2.13 in many states(just verified this https://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm) as well as farm workers have an exception to pay them much lower wages.

Nothing happening here that Marx did not already explain about capitalist-labor relations. He would have completely anticipated this.

Copiusly long, braided prima-cord to be wrapped around and inserted into, the oligarchs perhaps…
those poor gnomes never hurt a fly, and besides- elites are made of the prettiest colors on the inside, I hear!

Amazon calls its warehouse workers and runners Athletes. But it is not a game and they are not good coaches who care about their team members. They are only concerned with speed and profit and the burned out runners and packers who quit do not get unemployment, and are quickly replaced by desperate souls who need any job they can get to survive. Some give up and join the military when they cannot find a job. (After taking over food Amazon will go for the water…and phones?)

Many FedEx workers are represented by the Teamsters.

Amazon will follow the WalMart model: Refuse to open stores where workers threaten to unionize.

Actually, I make every effort to not purchase from Amazon. Purchases from them are often poorly packed, resulting in the arrival of damaged goods.

Tools for totalitarians; I hear it’s a burgeoning market.
Yee-haw!

Never bought a thing from Amazon. Never will. It’s a slave labor corporation. That Echo thing gives me the creeps. “I know, let’s pay big bucks to bring Big Brother into our homes!”

My knowledge of organized FedEx is with the drivers in my rural area in Michigan. Many years ago, a conversation with one FedEx driver that was on a regular route to my neighborhood mentioned that he wished he could hire on with UPS since they were a Union shop. I don’t think any are organized yet. They have some odd working hours. Tracking info for recent FedEx delivery shows possible delivery times as late as 7PM, even around metro Detroit. The drivers on a route aren’t steady. There’s not much chance you’ll see them more than a few times, then someone else will take their place. They can’t even get deliveries to correct homes because they aren’t on the same route long enough to learn the area. I’m still waiting for a lost FedEx package from over two months ago. Customer Service for the vendor has been useless, unable to figure out what FedEx did with it, trying to tell me it’s my problem.