Home | About | Donate

With Lurking Demand Google Be Broken Up, EU Hits Tech Giant With Record $5 Billion Antitrust Fine

With Lurking Demand Google Be Broken Up, EU Hits Tech Giant With Record $5 Billion Antitrust Fine

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

The European Union (EU) on Wednesday hit Google with a record-breaking €4.34 billion ($5.06 billion) antitrust fine and ordered the tech giant to make changes that will scale back its dominance of the mobile phone market.

“Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.”
–Lord Acton

(I googled that, of course.)

Too Big To Care!

The internet and computer we born from military research. The reason: to strengthen military advantage - what else?

Since then, technological advances - intel never a slacker - have been closely tracked and leveraged for their original intents.

Then Citizens United comes along and sets this dynamic on a path of exponential integrative actions with feedback loops in the software for what else? marketing and with corporations now owning the duopoly, every sneeze and hiccup that can be sucked into the human-shredder-for-profit is/was payed for by taxpayers.

No, wait! That’s what the stock market and traders are doing, isn’t it? Wait! the Federal Reserve and the IMF and WB funding of massive agribusiness and mining, and mega hydropower …

At least the EU makes an effort to shake some bucks out of these crooks. In the U.S., capitalist consolidation is never seriously challenged except by capitalist competitors. Where is the “progressive agenda” on capitalist consolidation? I don’t hear too many candidates calling for the reinstatement of a stronger Glass-Stegall which would slow down capital accumulation and consolidation. Nah, we just have to put “better” people on the feckless Consumer Financial protection Bureau (Liz Warren’s baby).

Restore “a stronger Glass-Steagall” AND 20th century anti-trust regulations…then break up Google, Amazon, Facebook, the media cartel post haste.

WTG EU! Something you’d never see in the USofA.

Yes! So very true!

I’ve missed you.

Will an editor please re-do the headline. It doesn’t read at all. The headline makes no sense: “With Lurking Demand Google Be Broken Up” - I know what the article says and I’m down with the contents, but who wrote that headline?

The company has “denied rivals the chance to innovate and compete on the merits,” and “denied European consumers the benefits of effective competition in the important mobile sphere,” says EU competition chief

How long since we’re seen the Anti-Trust Laws used?

The sword which brings down monopolies.