Home | About | Donate

With New Hope for War Powers Vote, Poll Shows American Public Strongly Favors End to US-Backed War in Yemen

With New Hope for War Powers Vote, Poll Shows American Public Strongly Favors End to US-Backed War in Yemen

Julia Conley, staff writer

Following an escalation in the Saudi-led assault on the Yemeni port city of Hodeidah, most Americans said in a survey released Monday that the U.S. must end the support that has made possible the Saudis' war in the impoverished country.

1 Like

In the age of the 24-hour news cycle and constant internet presence, the US public still manages to remain hopelessly uninformed. I’m not blaming a political party or even the media for this woeful lack of knowledge–although they are partly responsible–I just think the average US citizen is content to be ignorant.

On Thanksgiving I heard, “Can’t we talk about something more pleasant?”

5 Likes

“Something more pleasant” is usually the latest FOX (faux noise) fantasy for the right leaning crowd or some hopey and changey greenwash or hollyweird gossip for the left.

Pay no attention to that military industrial media infotainment complex (MIMIC) operative on your radio or TV or that you are streaming.

3 Likes

Sooooo hypocritical of Congress! End support? HELL NO!

And none of this means anything to Trump, Inc. only the billions in sales of the hardware that makes this massacre possible. Has the US ever not been at war on some level? War as profit for the corporations has meant that it is what pulls the nation out of its recessions, wars–so, we need to see a better way has to happen and it is NOT capitalism.

Always much, much better to have a beer and watch a football game. You know - something intellectual.

2 Likes

Since when was congress interested in what the American people thought?

2 Likes

The only thing Con/ Gress is interested in… is what the war mongers and war profiteers think.

2 Likes

Or, listen to some music…

The American people have no say. The killing in the Middle East will end when Israel decides to stop the slaughter.

I expanded MIC to MIMC when reporters were embedded early in the War on Terror. I knew the public would be snowed by a mainstream media fed stories by the Pentagon. That is why I’m here.

I like your “I” addition. For so many, the spew from Huckabee-Sanders and her ilk is infotainment. Unfortunately, the MIMIC doesn’t mimic reality for those folks; it is reality.

The PBS News Hour has covered the inhumane effects of this conflict very well this year. As one of the 1,000 people who watch it almost ever night, I wrote to Senators Debbie Stabenow and Gary Peters asking them to object to the US support that allows the Saudi’s actions to cause the atrocities in Yemen.

If Sander’s resolution makes it to the floor, the debate will be interesting. Will any senator try to justify the consequences of the US support: destruction, disease, starvation, and death? We, the people, will see who votes for it and against it.

We have allowed this support to go on. This conflict affects hardly anyone in the US. So what? Well, it’s shameful. All of this military power and this is what it brings. Not peace, but the suffering and death of children. If I believed in Hell, we’d all be going.

So get ready, but don’t hold your breath waiting for the US to end its support for the Saudi regime.

The children of Yemen are a living and dying example of “a pawn in their game”.