Home | About | Donate

With Petiton to Congress, 100,000+ People Demand Green New Deal 'That Fixes Our Food System'

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/07/19/petiton-congress-100000-people-demand-green-new-deal-fixes-our-food-system

3 Likes

There’s more to agriculture than food production—consider textiles and paper. Hemp, if we can get the federal government and its antiquated, DuPont-inspired laws out of the way, is THE premier crop for a host of applications. For just two examples, denim made from hemp will outlast cotton denim by a factor between 3 and 5 to 1, while paper made from hemp doesn’t require chlorine bleach. Hemp will also sequester carbon as well or better than trees.

Hemp, hemp, hooray!

With that said, this is an important initiative, perhaps a vital one.

16 Likes

Good points. And yes, hemp has only begun to tell its story to the whole world.
Bamboo also is quite interesting in this regard, though hands down, the hemp plant has more upside.

5 Likes

Hemp and it’s production in the US, has been legalized. It was removed from the DEA’s control and placed under the Dept. of AG’s control. All we need to do is promote farmers to grow it, manufacturers to produce the products made from it, and entice the public to buy the products.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/content/legal-opinion-authorities-hemp-production

7 Likes

To add to GuildF312S above post, Hemp would also be the ultimate carbon sequestering plant, out growing trees on average 12 to 1.

4 Likes

Demand a Green New Deal that fixes our system of government where all is derived from:

1 Like

I am picturing some lawyers at Monsanto/Bayer slapping their heads and collectively saying “Fuck, we forgot to patent hemp!”

7 Likes

There’s a so-far little-reported story breaking (or rather, shattering) right now with implications as grave for US agriculture as the floods and heatwaves making life particularly vexing for farmers this year: the Arctic ice-cap is dissolving as we speak, almost certainly to a new low (< 2012’s 3.4 million sq. kilometers).

What does that have to do with farmers? It’s fair to compare the Arctic to a battery, like a power source, driving the whole Earth’s climate system. Disconnect that battery, and all bets are off in terms of what the weather will do next. Farmers need a fairly good idea of what the weather will do next. That’s about to get much more difficult.

4 Likes

John’s gone sadly but here he is ahead of the game on hemp.

5 Likes

The farmers were warned on the consequences of climate change and ag production. But typical of the anti-science end of lifers administration the USDA held back a report to address climate change. We don’t have a government anymore leaving everyone to fend for themselves.

4 Likes

We have a somewhat real farmer’s market economy. I say “somewhat” because most farmers and farm hands don’t make a living wage.

We also have an agribiz economy. Farmers get paid by the government to grow corn ethanol. This cash cow comes surprisingly close to zero carbon dioxide improvement, but it’s fun shoveling money at whoever sits at the top of the money pyramid. In the meantime various small farmers are going bankrupt or dropping dead right and left.

There’s no reason why farmers as a group, and farm hands, shouldn’t make a living wage in our technologically advanced civilization. We don’t actually need the last drop of blood squeezed out of our market economy by “market forces”, and handed over to some billionaires who could care less about the rest of us. Our human civilization needs other things.

We need to sequester carbon in the ground, and gigatons of it, using agricultural methods. High-carbon Amish farmland in eastern Pennsylvania can now grow about 6 tons of corn per acre. If someone wants to remove carbon from the land, they need to pay human civilization for that right.

We need linkages so that we know our farmers, just as we know our plumbers.

5 Likes

Food and Agriculture is a huge contributor to climate change (current industrial food system) as well as component of solutions (local, organic, sustainable food systems) that also have multiple economic and social/health as well as environmental benefits. Expanding a food system that produces healthy foods, supports farmers and workers, restores the environment and reverses greenhouse gas emissions definitely needs to have large place in Green New Deal.

1 Like

Agree, but lets keep this on the down-low, don’t give them any ideas. :)))

Then there’s this:

3 Likes

Monsanto probably owns the gene sequence already. Which leads to? Revolution?
Are we going to let sociopathic (more like psychopathic?) corporations own life on earth? Talk about a scary movie.

1 Like

Oh Boy! Now that Congress has been informed about what the People want, I’m sure they’ll add it to their highest priority list. But if they don’t, democrats will just return their non-performing representation to office, as will republicans. Again. Vote the same, get the same thing. But it’s even worse than that, buy the same campaign lies for 40 years, lose ground for 40 years.

But . . .  But . . .  The 100,000+ people who signed the petition are a tiny fraction of the 300,000,000+ who currently reside in “our” Disunited States of D’Umerika.  Does this petition really indicate what a majority of The People actually want?  Or even give $.02 about??

I don’t know, what does their petition say?

Add to that the burning of the earth’s lungs–the Amazon Rainforest.

1 Like

The federal govt fails on this issue, particularly this administration. Keeping extreme climate events in mind as well as rising sea levels, the focus needs to be on watching Stephen Colbert highlight the baboonery (yes, that’s the word) of trump. I don’t watch him because I cannot tolerate him. But I like Stephen Colbert. “They must really hate us.” That’s the only conclusion I can come to when I see what we have in the White House. The people with the power hate us. Look at trump! How else could this go on without something propping it up? I give up.