Home | About | Donate

With Power to Knee-Cap Bold Demand, Incoming Democratic Tax Committee Chair Says Medicare for All 'Not Realistic'

The three ballot measures that just passed overwhelmingly in my clodkicking state (that sports a metro area with more people than your entire state):

https://ballotpedia.org/Michigan_2018_ballot_measures

Just sayin.’

I read the assholes in the legislature are working on back door ways of negating those ballot measures. You hearing anything at the local level?

No. Do you have a link?

Changes to Michigan ballot measures would need 3/4 majorities to pass. Pretty close to impossible.

This seems pretty crappy:

Proposal 3 was a sweeping measure to enact same-day and automatic voting registration and no-reason absentee voting. Since Proposal 3 passed, the Senate Elections Committee has already passed provisions that would require voters to register in person only at a county clerk’s office and allow only a clerk or assistant clerk to register voters.

So you can automatically register, but only at one location via one individual as I understand it.

Actually, you could register at more than one location, but the bill as proposed out of committee would definitely add restrictions and undermine the clear intent of the ballot measure. That sets the stage for lawsuits.

Although your link from the Detroit News doesn’t mention it, I’m pretty sure that changes to Michigan ballot measures would need 3/4 majorities in both houses to pass.

I hope it fails. Republicans lose and double down on suppression and garbage.

Touchy today, aren’t we? My Michigan relatives just hate it when they get teased, too. Must be the lack of an ocean nearby.

I would venture that we have sailed just as far out on a Great Lake as most people have from their ocean side beach.

Shhhh. Trying to keep too many westerners from coming near our beautiful fresh water oceans as their region gets parched. I want my Lake Michigan beach hideaway to remain blissfully untrammeled.

And yeah, the sailing is superb. My fondest memory of my departed stepfather is a sail we took in mild breezes on Lake St Clair 35 years back on an unusually clear and balmy day in October. 37 footer, all wood, my step dad had helped his elderly uncle refurbish it–I had pitched in here and there: she sailed like a dream without putting up the mizzen on that gentle water and we had a huge lake to ourselves for an entire afternoon except for the freighters. My stepdad showed off by sailing us a few hundred yards up the canal before we dropped sail and motored to the dock…thanks for reminding me, Gandolf.

Our outgoing Governor Snyder is actually a moderate compared to Walker over in Wisconsin. He took the Medicaid expansion, for instance, and he’s used his veto pen. But he’s been terrible on the Line 5 pipeline, which is as blatant and dangerous a corporate giveaway as you’ll find:

Interesting, I knew none of that. Sounds like the legislature is not going to be helpful on the matter at all though.

This is going to sound shitty, but what really needs to happen, is a series of massive, year-round fires like we are now experiencing regularly out here in California. It tends to focus the mind in surprising ways. California has massively invested in renewables and adopted a successful cap-and-trade program. Unfortunately, we are only one state.

Actually, Michigan is fairly big on wind turbines.

As far as the disaster that might prompt a focused mind, this pipeline company (Enbridge) had a really bad spill here a few years back (clean up costs over a $billion), and that didn’t focus shit in the case of Line 5.

Way to go, Rep. Neal. Put your own damn needs over those of f Americans who are dying by the thousands of treatable medical issues.

Well now you reminded me of one of my boat trips about 50 years ago now. I’ve been on L. Michigan a few times but this one was on L Winnebago. 2O miles long and 12 across. A friend from our band patched up a small sail boat, more like a big pram in my opinion, and invited me out on the maiden voyage. Clear day with a slight breeze. By the time we were a half mile out the sky turned black and the wind whipped up. That was as hard as It has rained ever since I think. We capsized about half way in and rode her in upside down the rest of the way. Couldn’t handle the boat when we reached shore and she got pretty busted up on the rocks. I’ve had a few other water adventures, but another time.

My wife and her former boyfriend crossed from Spain to Antigua on a 40 footer. 22 days at sea.

So many stories, from 20 foot swells to glassy calm. She has a photo taken of her reflection in the water off the side of the boat–you’d think it was taken looking in a mirror, rather than a thousand miles out in the Atlantic.