Home | About | Donate

With Rousseff Out, Brazil's Interim President Installs Conservative All-White, All-Male Cabinet

With Rousseff Out, Brazil's Interim President Installs Conservative All-White, All-Male Cabinet

Democracy Now!

Brazil’s former vice president, Michel Temer, assumed power as interim president Thursday after the country’s Senate voted to suspend President Dilma Rousseff and begin impeachment proceedings over accusations she tampered with accounts in order to hide a budget shortfall. Rousseff called the move a coup. Temer is a member of the opposition PMDB party and has been implicated in Brazil’s massive corruption scandal involving state-owned oil company Petrobras.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Impeach Temer!!!

I read quite a bit and end of skimming sometimes. I was about half way through when i started reading that Temer is part of an oil scandal and that he was being sworn in...i was like, 'wait...what?' LOL Life is funny sometimes...just not for them.

"as if power over others is their 'birthright'". Well said.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I had my suspicions; now my suspicions have been confirmed. Thank you!

My suspicions tell me that Temer will try to remove Brazil from the BRICS coalition. That could be very well what is behind the coup of Rousseff.

I am an Australian who has lived in Brazil for the past six years but married into an industrial and banking family for over twenty years. I have little sympathy for Rousseff and her PT but a major part of the context of their delving into horrendous levels of corruption is their dependency on the PMDB as a coalition partner and the PMDB's demand for payment in mind boggling sums of money. The PMDB (the ones who are basically in power now) are one of the most corrupt political parties in the globe and it is a blot on the ethics of the Obama/Clinton regime that they are supporting this new government. No less than seven new ministers are themselves under investigation for serious corruption. Their new minister for Science is an evangelical nut case, the new minister for the environment has business in agribusiness and cattle and is a leader of the faction of Ruralistas whose basic lobby is for the removal of obstacles to de-forestation and ongoing destruction of the Amazon. They are a shameless bunch of criminals, nothing more and already they are setting about dismantling anti-corruption legislation, indigenous rights and social programs that are the very backbone of survival for many of the countries poor.
What will be of interest in the coming weeks will be to see whether Globo, the giant media semi-monopoly, continues to pursue their campaign against corruption now they have helped bring about the impeachment of Rousseff. That and the question of the continued resolve of the judges who are delving into the Lava-Jota scandal.
I will wait in low expectation of justice. This was little more than just another coup supported by Corporate America. The question of whether PT was fit to govern or not should have been decided in the next general election. Not this way. Shame on your all.