Home | About | Donate

With Sessions Under Fire, Trump Claims 'Complete Power to Pardon'

With Sessions Under Fire, Trump Claims 'Complete Power to Pardon'

Jon Queally, staff writer

In the wake of new reporting indicating U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions may have provided "misleading" statements about his discussions with Russia's Ambassador Sergey Kislyak, President Donald Trump took to his Twitter account Saturday morning to assert his "complete power to pardon" even as he dismissed the latest revelations.

Throw Jefferson Beauregard Sessions out under the clown car, by his elf ears. He is an incompetent asshole.:flushed:

Screw Drumpf. He cant pardon himself.

“Misleading”, what a polite way of saying the little racist creep LIED.

PARDON ME??

[quote=“CommonDreams, post:1, topic:43456”]   “But there is one thing we know that Trump cannot do – without being a first in all of human history.  He cannot pardon himself.

It could also be construed as the first time EVER that Tweetle-Dumb has even come close to apologizing for ANYTHING – as in, “PARDON ME!”

[quote=“CommonDreams, post:1, topic:43456”]   “While it’s true that Trump possesses very broad powers
to issue pardons – including to his son Donald Trump Jr. or son-in-law Jared Kushner – for possible crimes committed, critics warn the political consequences of doing so could be enormous.
”[/quote]

I’ll have to confess to agreeing with the MSM on this one — you can’t accept a pardon without admitting that you’re guilty of something . . .

“he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.”

As for pre-emptive pardon, technically that isn’t a pardon, it’s a re-writing of the law so that the president is exempt. Only Congress may rewrite the law.

But how far will the GOP-led Congress allow him to go before an impeachment? My guess is: as far as he wants.

[quote=“nephewsam, post:6, topic:43456”]   “But how far will the GOP-led Congress allow him to go before an impeachment?  My guess is: as far as he wants.” [/quote]

My guess is only until his blatant reneging on most of his campaign promises begins to cost the RePooplicans significant numbers of votes.  But this may not be apparent until after the 2018 elections (depending on how well their gerrymandering and voter suppression efforts succeed).  Hopefully enough progressives (or at least non-RePooplicans) will be elected to make impeachment possible.  OTOH, things may be so far gone by then that even if Tweetle-Dumb is removed or resigns the damage he’s already done to what little is now left of ‘our’ democracy will be irreparable.  And don’t forget that even if he’s gone many of his stooges will remain behind
in positions that Pence will not assail.

As I’ve said before, even if the orange turd is removed, We the People are still going to be run by the chamber of horrors selected and installed by him in his cabinet and other key places in government. And that is not even considering the evil that is Pence. So whether he’s in or out, the evil lives after him. We’ve got to figure out a way to deal with that, and that is going to take a united nation.
;-})

I somehow have a feeling that if these discussions had been with the Israeli ambassador, a country that we know actively spies on us, there would be no issue.

From article II of the US Constitution:

“he shall have power to grant reprieves and pardons for offenses against the United States, except in cases of impeachment.”

I don’t see a prohibition against a president pardoning himself. Any president who tried it would be immediately impeached, but I see no prohibition.

Notice how much that sounds like “I never had sex with that woman.”

From this article:

I take that to mean we could seriously impeach every single idiot in the prictator’s cabinet :yum:

Love the picture with this article: [Beauregard] Kilroy was here!

Trump claims lots of things. Before he was elected, Politifact reported 71% of what he " claimed " was true, was actually false. Now that he’s POTUS he’s " claiming away " like crazy. He’s probably up to 80-85% in the " claiming " dept, by now.
In fact, I read an article that " claimed " Trump will " claim " that he’s not the father of Donald Trump Jr. before this Mueller Investigation is finished with him. :wink:

Yep!
;-})

Everything is working out to perfection for the oligarchy. Not only does the anti-Trump hysteria distract from Bernie’s revolution and protect all the corporatist Democrats from being purged, but it makes it clear to all that only pre-approved puppets will be allowed to govern. Anyone else will be subjected to extreme and endless harassment by their minions in the MSM and Deep State until they resign.

It gets even better. By forcing Trump out, it means that all the Trump voters are going to be enraged and they are going to assume that it is all “a left-wing conspiracy” and are going to be determined to do all they can to ensure that anyone left of center who gets elected faces the same endless harassment, as they will then assume the role of “useful idiots” of the oligarchy now being performed by many on the Left. Instead of allowing Trump to fail, which he surely will if left alone, and demonstrating that his approach is wrongheaded, which would convince many of the little people on the Right to reconsider their political opinions and alliances, removing him will convince them that they were cheated and that everything would have been fine if he had been left alone. That will harden their resolve to fight the Left and make it virtually impossible to form the necessary unity and solidarity of the little people to ever effectively resist the oligarchy.

When Trump is finally forced out, the most elite of the elite will be singing and dancing, knowing that their stranglehold on the future is secure and that all of us pesky little people will never again be able to protect ourselves from their predations.

If the Supreme Court rules he can’t pardon himself (a big “if”), he can pull a Nixon, resign, and Pence will pardon him.

Pence needs to go first. Like Spirochete Agnew.

Doesn’t really matter. Take a look at the chain of replacement all the way through his despicable cabinet.

[quote=“bfleury, post:10, topic:43456”]  “I don’t see a prohibition against a president pardoning himself.
Any president who tried it would be immediately impeached, but I see no prohibition.
” [/quote]

I do agree that any president who tried to pardon himself SHOULD be impeached, but I seriously doubt that Tweetle-Dumb WOULD be impeached by the present Congress. One never knows, though — there WAS a “Never Trump” movement among the RePooplicans (at least for a little while).

[quote=“Legend, post:18, topic:43456, full:true”]  “Pence needs to go first.  Like Spirochete Agnew.” [/quote]

Then you get Paul Ryan.  “Wunnerful, Wunnerful” . . .

[quote=“mrsannhitts, post:14, topic:43456”]  " . . .  In fact, I read an article that ‘claimed’ [Tweetle-Dumb] will ‘claim’ that he’s not the father of Donald Trump Jr. before this Mueller Investigation is finished with him." [/quote]

DJT Jr. really DOES resemble a skinny Mitt Romney in a lot of ways.
Apparently he’s a bully, too — just like his father . . .