Home | About | Donate

With Shutdown Talks at Standstill, Trump Declares: "I May Declare National Emergency"

With Shutdown Talks at Standstill, Trump Declares: "I May Declare National Emergency"

Jon Queally, staff writer

With negotiations between Congressional Democrats, Republican lawmakers, and President Donald Trump at a deadlock over the president's demand for $5.6 billion to build what he insists is an actual "wall" along the U.S./Mexico border, Trump on Sunday morning again threatened to declare national emergency if he does not get what he wants in the coming days.

"I may declare a national emergency dependent on what's going to happen on the next few days," the president told reporters outside the White House.

Protocol schmotocol! Go in and arrest this monster already! What are we waiting for?

The monied right wing should balk at the imminent domain necessary to “build that wall” whether it be funded by Congress or by some imaginary presidential fiat. It is only acceptable to the right wing to take poor people’s land for important purposes, such as building stadia or shopping malls. Trump is such a dumb fuck. Of course his rural constituency only cares about having others to kick to make themselves feel superior. LBJ said this best.

The GOP, not Trump is driving this “national emergency” threat, primarily to test the waters to see if they can declare a “national emergency” in 2020 to suspend the POTUS election seeing how they might not be able to get away with as much voter suppression as they have been. If they stage a frightening enough “national emergency” in 2020 they know that they can even get quite a few Democrats to support it.

He and his criminal fascist cabal are holding America, and for that matter the entire world hostage. Last time I checked holding someone hostage is a crime, isn’t it…?

Costa twit sez:
“Trump … still talking today about declaring a national emergency if talks collapse… and he’s getting encouraged by several of his friends on hard right to do just that, knowing it’d be challenged immediately.”

Gee. Can’t imagine why this crowd would want to kick the issue to the SCROTUS.

How many homeless shelters, mental rehabilitation facilities could we build with that money, how many of the thousands of public school teachers could we rehire…I am sure Cheney is dissapointed because Halliburton will be losing the wall bid.
That stupid wall could easily be under mind blown up dismantled and burned down. Why not issue millions of temp work visas

It’s not just him his directives come from the deep state

For decades, the prevailing MO in Washington has been that it’s legal if you can get away with it. As Bush once said regarding the Constitution, “It’s just a piece of paper.” This is precisely the presidency that Trump has inherited from Obama, who, like those before him, shredded the Constitution as it suited him, though he assured us that he would never abuse it. Yeah, right.

The question, then, is NOT whether it is legal or constitutional, but, rather, who will stop Trump if he does declare a national emergency? The Democrats? The party leadership still considers impeachment to be a dirty word. Nope. The courts? Maybe, maybe not, but, either way, it won’t happen, overnight. We may soon see just how phony and laughable any claims for this being a democratic country truly are.

“National Emergency?”

Donald J. Trump :heavy_check_mark: @realDonaldTrump
](https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump)

Sadly, it looks like Mexico’s Police and Military are unable to stop the Caravan heading to the Southern Border of the United States. Criminals and unknown Middle Easterners are mixed in. I have alerted Border Patrol and Military that this is a National Emergy. Must change laws!

[141K ]

[ 6:37 AM - Oct 22, 2018]

Many of the landowners in far South and West Texas at least are far from being poor people but rather are wealthy ranchers (said ranches being huge family or corporate owner) with ample funds to drag Trump into court to dispute the taking of any of their land for an easement to build a wall. Those people are very politically connected and will mount a formidable opposition which will of course assure that $5.6 billion doesn’t go nearly as far as the Orange Mussolini thinks it will. Additionally, there may well be court decisions that deny imminent domain to Trump on the very basis that the wall is unnecessary and constitutes a waste of taxpayer money (which of course it is). Personally I would love to see that happen. It’s always so gratifying to see this brain dead moron and his foolish ideas get slapped down in their tracks like an annoying housefly by a housewife armed with a flyswatter then watching his resulting temper tantrum. We all knew Trump was a spoiled and selfish blithering idiot before he ever assumed office but this is getting plum ridiculous!!!

The fact that we and the Democrats are paying so much attention to Trump’s ludicrous wall empowers him.

Ask yourself: WHY THIS FRENZY OF BELLICOSITY BY TRUMP FOR HIS ASININE WALL? Do you really think it is about his BS of national security? Then I have a bridge in Alaska to sell you! With our narcissist and pathological liar, it is always about what is in it for me! I wonder how much of the 5.6 billion Trump is planning to put in his pocket!

“What Donald Trump doesn’t want you to know about his plan to build a “Great Wall” between the U.S. and Mexico: He’d need to steal private property from Americans to build it.”

Isn’t it time American’s of every political stripe - including “conservatives”, realized the imminent danger from this opportunistic idiot and criminal? The mental illness and arrogance that drives this psychopath destroyer and political con man must be smashed before it’s too late for all of us!

Border wall sections already existing were built on seized private lands or some owners “compensated”.- likely well-connected cronies profited and ordinary people were screwed!

The proposed new sections have already generated great opposition and lawsuits against trumps racist wall!, and the SCROTUS declines to hear environmental appeals an earlier court ruled trump can ignore environmental laws! This sanctuary only one atrocity trump doesn’t give a rats ass about! The damage to wildlife of many descriptions would be enormous!

It’s all a bluff. He is counting on the D’s to cave. Call your congress critter and tell them, in no uncertain terms, to hold firm. Over the next few days the rump will continue to double down on his vile threats. He can not win this battle.

If we wait much longer it may be too late! Is it a stretch for this fascist to go from declaring a " national emergency" to using a false flag attack from Mexico, to declare martial law.

A good diversion from his criminality, and seems to make him look credible.
The blind man in the hut must say to our Frankenstein, wall bad, wall bad. Would you like a cigar?
Hair on fire.

I looked at pictures of segments of the ‘Wall of Shame’ cutting through a barren desert. It fills me with disgust, anger, and a sense of being fenced in myself.
‘Those who build walls are their own prisoners’. (Ursula K. Le Guin, from ‘The Dispossessed’.)

Yes, and in the scenario you described the Patriot Act and the NDAA would be on steroids and we can kiss what’s left of American democracy good bye…

I guess he should know…Trump IS the emergency!