Home | About | Donate

With Three Tweets President Trump Cruelly Threatens Trans Service Members With Rank Discrimination

With Three Tweets President Trump Cruelly Threatens Trans Service Members With Rank Discrimination

Chase Strangio

In a series of tweets this morning, President Donald Trump unexpectedly announced a cruel and dangerous reversal in policy on transgender individuals serving in the military. Claiming that "[o]ur military must be focused on decisive and overwhelming victory," Trump falsely suggested that transgender individuals were too costly and disruptive to continue serving.

This is Trump pandering to his right wing evangelical Christian base and he gets to play bully doing it, beating up on a minority. Facts, analysis and research be damned. This is one sick individual.

Trump wins the airwaves again-----what would happen if the media ignored this nut case----he would probably fire off some nukes. Healthcare is going down in flames in the Senate and Trump reacts like a little kid----see what I can do------------and the media goes on with the Trump Show------how long will the media enable this guy???

As long as it gets ratings. This is one of the best things to happen to M$M in a long time. I forget who said it but someone from a news station said something that rings very true. Paraphrasing here: “[Trump] might not be good for America but [Trump] is good for ratings.”

“Today’s announcement is about targeting, demonizing, and endangering a group of people who are risking their lives every day for our country.”

As is noted below by jneastra, this action by POTUS has much more to do with pandering to his hate-filled base than “targeting… an endangered group.” Wording matters, especially here when it seems to indicate a secondary and side-effect, targeting the endangered group, is the main motivation. Makes me wonder whether this author’s lack of clarity is in his writing only or if maybe it’s in the thinking of which the writing is merely a reflection. At minimum, it means Strangio is not a writer whose articles I will eagerly look forward to.

Isn’t there an editor or proofreader at CD who could have helped out here?

It’s both: Rump is pandering to his hate-filled base by targeting an endangered group.

Don’t dismiss the reality and potential of this gradually escalating campaign of division and demonization.

Acknowledging that they are not actually “coming for” trans people yet, frankly, “First they came for…” comes to mind. We need solidarity, on all fronts, going forward.

Why do so many have to come to the support of Transgender people by parroting the MIC/Security State’s lies about the troops out there “defending our freedoms?”

The result is Identity Politics becoming a servant of the American Imperial Project. I guess Democrats and Cultural Liberals want to be sure to defend the right of American Trans Men and Women to be in the military but they don’t give a damn about Yemeni or Gazan or Afghani or Syrian Trans Men and Women who are victims of American Imperialism.

Let me be clear. I’m 62 years old and at no time in my life have American troops fought to ‘defend our freedoms.’ Carla Lewis, a very Cisgender looking Transgender Woman, has a pic making the rounds where she wears a shirt that says, “Transgender Veteran: I fought for your right to hate me.”

So tell me, Ms. Lewis, in what American action did you fight for American’s rights to have their own opinions? Tell me where in the world American troops are protecting Americans. Was it in the illegal and unnecessary was in Iraq where Saddam actually had no WMD? How about Afghanistan where the Taliban actually was willing to hand over Bin Laden if there were assurances of a fair trial?

No. The wars that America fights are not to protect American lives or American rights or American freedoms. They are to insure the continued dominance of the international corporations, especially the fossil fuel ones, and their ‘right’ to rape other nations of their resources.

A lot of young people in this nation are indoctrinated from day one with propaganda about how noble and brave it is to join the military and how what they’d do is being braver than those who don’t join and that they are protecting American rights. That’s all a lie. But the real reason so many join is because they have no other options. Cisgender and Transgender folk join because of the lies fed them and because of their limited choices to survive in an economy that is going down the tubes.

If one Transgender folk doesn’t get trapped in the disgusting rat hole of the military and come home with PTSD or brain damage or missing half their body to receive no care from the country that tricked them, then what Trump did is good. I wish he’d go all the way and do the same for Cisgender folk too.

Of course Trump did this because it plays to his bigoted base. Of course this will feed more hatred and misunderstand towards Transgender folk. (If you don’t know how bad it is, check out Chelsea Manning’s Facebook page and see some of the horrid comments the haters make against her.) But standing against this doesn’t excuse spreading the MIC propaganda.

I’m a Transgender Woman. But I’ve been as disgusted by cultural liberals and professional Democrats ‘resisting’ by spouting the MIC propaganda as I am by Trump’s actions to demean people like me.

When will someone actually stand up and speak the truth about the US Imperial Project?

Throwing a big, juicy bone to the evangelicals he’s been rumored to have been prayin’ with recently.
Ugh, truly disgusting on all levels.