Home | About | Donate

With Viral Tweet, Activist Urges Defeat of Massive Grand Canyon Development That Threatens Local Tribe's Water

With Viral Tweet, Activist Urges Defeat of Massive Grand Canyon Development That Threatens Local Tribe's Water

Julia Conley, staff writer

This is a developing story and may be updated...

A grassroots campaign is calling on anyone who opposes a huge new development just a few miles from Grand Canyon National Park to make their objections known to local officials as the government of a nearby town prepares to vote on the building of a new housing, retail, and entertainment complex.

5 Likes

This “development” has to be the handy work of a few greedy most likely white men who don’t give a F about the surrounding land and environment.

And the elected officials of Tusayan are no doubt deeply involved in the scheme. How much of a kickback are they getting. Or maybe a nice deal on some prime property. This stinks to high heaven.
I do not understand how some private development group can purchase 3.5 million acres of land anywhere.

14 Likes

Hello Jack, i am opposed to this “development” project what can i do to help stop it?

2 Likes

If the Havasupai haven’t been making measurements on water quality and quantity, they need to. That way they have numbers to demonstrate any changes that may occur should the development go as planned. Plus, if the developers are aware that the Havasupai are making such measurements, there’s a chance it will significantly reduce the property’s development value. No one wants to buy land knowing they may later be sued for developing on it.

5 Likes

First came the mall, then came the barkers, and finally the fossil fuel companies. Not hard to see how this would play out.
But the planet will supposedly be dead by then anyway.

Remember, to the small handful of trillionaires that own and control more than the next six billion people that inhabit the earth, nothing has any value unless it can be destroyed to further fill their offshore coffers.
*An huge number of our National Treasures have already been sold to these bastards for mining, logging, drilling, fracking. Whatever is left seems to be on the block.
*When I was a youngster in 1951, I visited the Grand Canyon with my folks. It was breathtaking! In the evening, we went to a small theater in the park to watch a film and hear the account of the first persons to ride the rapids through the canyon in plywood boats! I remember a Ranger talking about the need to protect the canyon and its rim. I remember my folks getting a petition to sign that protested the plan to build a resort of some sort on the rim of the Grand Canyon.
*That was about sixty-eight years ago, but still the Oligarchy cannot accept NO as an answer to their greed. They just keep on trying, (and buying), the influence and power that will give them the go-ahead on their plans to fatten their coffers at our expense.
We the People can’t seem to get it together to fight this as we are too busy watching the ads and trying to figure out if we can lease that new Jaguar, and which credit card do we have enough left on to buy the latest “smart” phone.
*I hope the Native Americans and other conservation and humane groups can muster enough support for the Green New Deal to turn this all around. Unfortunately, to most of our alleged “representatives,” dollars speak much louder than words, so it is an uphill battle.
;-})

6 Likes

Just sent letters to the town and its councilors. The Grand Canyon is one of the most spectacular places I have ever seen and even more than 30 years ago I thought that there were way too many tourists. Indigenous people have the right to have their land, air, water protected!

9 Likes

Go to his twitter page and you will find all the names and emails, phone numbers as to whom to contact.

2 Likes

“Entertainment complex”.
Yes keep people entertained until the end:

2 Likes

What page on Twitter NY dear

What concerns me is that a foreign entity is able to buy 3.5 million acres, a huge, huge chunk of beautiful south rim land. I live in Arizona and can’t believe there was not an uproar about this. This state is going through a long-term drought (alleviated temporarily by El Nino this year) and water is a precious resource. With our right-wing dominated legislature, this will probably be approved. Unfortunately, water almost always flows toward money.

6 Likes

Mrs. Guild and I lived in Tucson from 1978-1982, and moved back East when we came to terms with the demands of the Sonoran Desert (it wasn’t designed to support so many people).

Speaking of which, what’s the current state of the Central Arizona Project? When we left, it was already way over budget, way behind schedule, and contaminated with ag/mining runoff.

2 Likes

Barton, there is a farm in southern AZ that grows alfalfa. It’s big, bigger than any of the other farms and tiny town near it. It is pumping all of the ground water to the point that other farms are going without water. The alfalfa is shipped to Saudi Arabia to feed their horse’s. Saudi Arabia owns the land. Water in the desert is more precious than gold or diamonds. Without water there is no life. Sick ain’t it???

6 Likes

The CAP has helped some communities, notably Tucson, where much of it is allowed to percolate down through the soil as it collected in large basins. One of the problems with the CAP, a concrete-lined uncovered irrigation ditch, is that it flows through one of the hottest states, where much of it is lost to evaporation. If the idiots that designed it used some common sense, something severely lacking in this state, they would have used pipe to eliminate the evaporation. In India, there are canals like this that are covered with solar panels, thus reducing evaporation and providing energy, but again, the AZ legislature is predominately pro-trump, anti-conservation, and anti-solar.
Another project that concerns me is the town of Benson, east of Tucson, approved a development project that will allow construction of 70,000 new homes. According to some studies, the water use will dry up the San Pedro River, one of the last free-flowing rivers in Arizona and home to an incredible diversity of riparian wildlife. Really stupid if you ask me.

6 Likes

I use to live in Sedona, Arizona about 2 hours from the Grand Canyon so visited the canyon frequently. Lets all help Jack make his message go viral and stop this travesty!

2 Likes

This is embedded in the article.

3 Likes

The native inhabitants have been abused quite enough as it is.

3 Likes

Who are the residents of Tusayan, and how did they manage to incorporate a town out in the middle of no-where?  By what right can these ~600 people annex 3.5 million acres and assume control over it?

1 Like

No private development group should be allowed to purchase 3.5 million acres of land anywhere in the US.

4 Likes

From what I’ve heard, no private person who’s not a citizen there can purchase even 0.35 acre in Mexico.  Is that correct?

2 Likes