Home | About | Donate

With Wildfires Ravaging the West, Biden Slams Trump Denial and Calls Climate Crisis an 'Imminent, Existential Threat'

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/09/12/wildfires-ravaging-west-biden-slams-trump-denial-and-calls-climate-crisis-imminent

4 Likes

Greta, how about an endorsement for Joe. It could help to solidify his pledge.

1 Like

gandolf wrote “Greta, how about an endorsement for Joe. It could help to solidify his pledge.”

Really, how would that work? The same way that giving Barack Obama the Nobel Prize prevented him from expanding U.S. wars? (Oh, wait, it didn’t.)

16 Likes

Biden continues to insist that he will not stop fracking. So while Biden at least recognizes climate change, there’s every reason to think that he will not act in time to prevent irreversible climate catastrophe.

9 Likes

If Greta endorsed Joe I would immediately stop listening to her.

16 Likes

Nope. Turns out when you get blood money from the very organizations who don’t want to address climate change your words rings hollow.

10 Likes

Well I hope you all get what you are railing for or against someday. It won’t be this election, or the next one either. Gives writers a chance to stretch their legs I guess.

1 Like

Biden = Blah… blah… blah… as he turns to his oligarch owners and Wink… wink… wink…

8 Likes

When President Biden signs the Green New Deal and declares that there will be no more subsidies or any other special treatment for fossil fuel companies, including fracking (which Biden strongly supports, as did Obama, and as does CA Gov. Newsom), I will believe that Biden supports efforts to mitigate (because we cannot stop it) the Climate Crisis.

9 Likes

Is that an anniversary cake gandolf ?

If so - all the best !

In fact, a present is in order, CD style:

"It is hard to stare directly at the biggest problems of our age. Pandemics, climate change, the sixth extinction of wildlife, food and water shortages—their scope is planetary, and their stakes are overwhelming. We have no choice, though, but to grapple with them. It is now abundantly clear what happens when global disasters collide with historical negligence.

COVID‑19 is an assault on America’s body, and a referendum on the ideas that animate its culture. Recovery is possible, but it demands radical introspection. America would be wise to help reverse the ruination of the natural world, a process that continues to shunt animal diseases into human bodies. It should strive to prevent sickness instead of profiting from it. It should build a health-care system that prizes resilience over brittle efficiency, and an information system that favors light over heat. It should rebuild its international alliances, its social safety net, and its trust in empiricism. It should address the health inequities that flow from its history. Not least, it should elect leaders with sound judgment, high character, and respect for science, logic, and reason."

How the Pandemic Defeated America

A virus has brought the world’s most powerful country to its knees.

~https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/09/coronavirus-american-failure/614191/

6 Likes

How about Biden pledges to end all government subsidies to fossil fuel producers, BEFORE she endorses him?

Hey, gandolf, can I interest you in a few games of online poker? It’s easy, even beginners can do it.

3 Likes

After reading the headline I had to check the calendar to make sure it wasn’t April 1st. As a progressive, Biden is doing everything except pissing in your face. Besides supporting fracking, now we have this:

(h)ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9zKOpKmv4k
“Biden Says He Will INCREASE The Military Budget” / Jimmy Dore Platform

Keep in mind Trump has increased it every year by $132 billion, since in office.
Meanwhile, we can’t “afford” EIM4A, free college, or a living wage for workers.

10 Likes

Until the US demand for oil is reduced - it will remain vulnerable to imports. Think this one thru.

Here are a few facts, sources below:

The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates that in 2019, about 2.81 billion barrels (or 7.7 million barrels per day) of crude oil were produced directly from tight oil resources in the United States . This was equal to about 63% of total U.S. crude oil production in 2019. (1)

The United States imported about 9.10 MMb/d of petroleum in 2019 from about 90 countries, which included 6.8 MMb/d of crude oil and 2.3 MMb/d of noncrude petroleum liquids and refined petroleum products. This was the lowest level of total petroleum imports since 1996.(2)

The fact is, while the United States may not import oil on a net basis, it still imports a vast amount of oil even as it exports oil and petroleum products. … The vulnerability of U.S. consumers to global oil price spikes depends not on how much oil the United States imports, but on how much it consumes. (3)

1. ~https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=847&t=6#:~:text=The%20U.S.%20Energy%20Information%20Administration,crude%20oil%20production%20in%202019.

2. ~https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/oil-and-petroleum-products/imports-and-exports.php#:~:text=The%20United%20States%20imported%20about,total%20petroleum%20imports%20since%201996.

3. ~https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/09/18/the-myth-of-u-s-energy-independence-has-gone-up-in-smoke/

5 Likes

Wonder what Trump will say on Monday in California after three weeks of silence…

He’s not likely to mention climate change, or do anything financially to help people in a state he sees as a blue state, aside from presenting a PR push for himself and how he has made America greater.

I’d be happy to be proven wrong and find him actually beginning to take his responsibilities seriously, though I am not holding my breath on that one.

3 Likes

I weep at the part where the news outlets are reporting 20 deaths from the fires in breathless terms, while the routine number of 800-1000 dead per day from The Covid is now an afterthought.

Dark days, man. With much darker on the way.

11 Likes

But as I promised my donors, nothing will fundamentally change, just like Barak and I demonstrated.

3 Likes

“Will work my tail off to get all possible federal help to the residents and businesses of these southern Oregon towns and so many others statewide,” Wyden added.

Hey Wyden, how about looking into how over half of Oregon’s firefighting helicopters are in Afghanistan? Would be great if you could get on that two months ago.

7 Likes

I’m in a snippy mood, sorry.

Climate change isn’t an imminent threat unless you live in California, Oregon, Washington or New Orleans/Mississippi where that next hurricane is heading in four days.

If you’re young it’s an existential threat.

Smoking is not an overwhelming existential threat, just a moderate existential threat. We know a guy in his 70s who still smokes, so we know that at least some smokers never get lung cancer. I still wouldn’t smoke if I were you.

Climate change is an existential threat.

2 Likes

I dread waking up each morning, knowing I have to face what passes for reality in the USA. I swear to god we are living in a Stephen King novel come to life. And as you have perfectly stated we only have darker days to look forward too.

5 Likes

As if the wildfires weren’t bad enough, now we can wonder about our law enforcement folks blaming Antifa for setting them, and ‘…coach militia members on their ability to use force’.

`https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/news/2020/09/12/oregon-wildfires-antifa-video-clackamas-county-deputy-administrative-leave/5782424002/

2 Likes