Home | About | Donate

Without Amazon, New York Can Now Do Economic Development Right

Without Amazon, New York Can Now Do Economic Development Right

Isaiah J. Poole

Now that activists in New York City successfully chased Amazon and its “HQ2” plan out of New York City, there is a new challenge: Can the organizers and elected leaders who successfully blocked the kind of economic development they opposed bring about the kind of economic development they want?

1 Like

Governor Cuomo refuses to Tax his donors - the Super Rich - to pay to modernize mass transit. He would rather raise fares on the poor.

There is definitely a class war going on and the upper class is winning, while the lower and middle class become their indentured servants.

Cuomo is a million times better than Trump, but he is no progressive. He is a puppet to his Wall Street donors.

1 Like

" Without Amazon, New York Can Now Do Economic Development Right"

They prolly can. The billions of tax dollars HQ2 would have pumped in the local economy would have helped. Juche anyone?

A few comments.

First, many people really ought to read ‘The Death and Life of Great American Cities’ by Jane Jacobs. I believe she had a chapter in it about rebuilding the economy from within.

Second, I can’t help thinking of Mayor Bill de Blasio’s remark, “The city has enough money. It’s just in the wrong pockets.” I suspect he misunderstands which pockets are the wrong pockets. His city is a city with a serious reputation for corruption.

Last, I like this previous remark,

The nation that has adopted juche as its economic doctrine is notorious for being at the bottom of the world’s economic heap.