Home | About | Donate

Workers Were Reportedly Ordered Not to Protest or Show Any 'Resistance' at Trump Rally in Pennsylvania

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/17/workers-were-reportedly-ordered-not-protest-or-show-any-resistance-trump-rally

1 Like

Those who didn’t protest, cowards. Those who agree with El Donablo, sociopaths. All of them working in the fossil fuel industry, threats to life.

12 Likes

I will run out of fuel before I will fill up at a Shell station.

18 Likes

From the following article:
‘There is no precedent in US history for the Trump White House’s assertion of unchecked presidential powers.’

6 Likes

" shell" game: says it all

5 Likes

Anonymous contractor sez:
“An underlying theme of the event is to promote good will from the unions.”

Good will from the unions? Toward whom, or what? I have grave doubts that “good will” was reciprocal.

15 Likes

The funny part is why we already know here in western PA. This is simply a plastics plant, producing pellets from the garbage “fracking gas” that can’t be used for anything else. This supposedly “enormous” plant will be largely automated and employ an estimated 150 people, at below average wages and crappy benefits. This plant will also pump out every bit as much air pollution as the steel mill that once rusted away at this site.
A power plant just ten minutes down the road from this project is closing down by years end, taking with it over 200 well paying union jobs.
But mark my words, the rubes of the Beaver Valley will line up to vote for Donald J Trump and every other republican they can in 2020. They would rather sit in their house trailers, breathing polluted air, drinking rancid water, alone with their racism, than vote for anybody else.

18 Likes

There are very few union workers at that site, it’s mostly contractors and sub-contractors. Typical 21st century American workplace.

12 Likes

The looks on the faces of the ‘props’ behind him say a lot

10 Likes

The construction trades, especially the steamfitters union doing a lot of the work at that plant site, are especially pro-Tump.

As far as the closure of the huge Bruce Mansfield coal power plant. That is a good thing for everyone in the region and the planet. Even a modest expansion of wind power on the nearby Allegheny Plateau and Lake Erie can create more jobs than those lost.

They need to keep the Beaver Nuclear Plant next door to it up and running too.

1 Like

Trump has brought all of the racists together.

5 Likes

Whatya bet they are the next state to put in for a Russian aluminum plant? Right up Moscow Bitch Mitch’s alley.

2 Likes

I’m the same way with Exxon stations. Ever since they polluted the environment when the Exxon Valdez broke up and spilled their crude oil, I have never since bought their product.

Never will.

6 Likes

The move away from nuclear will be looked at as the ultimate own goal in the not too distant future I suspect.

3 Likes

Trump using taxpayer money to go to and conduct campaign rallies is allegedly illegal. It’s another impeachable offense.
It’s obvious that Nancy is incapable of following the constitution to hold Trump accountable.
We don’t have an opposition party.
The Hong Kong citizens have shown us our only way forward.
Do we have the courage they have?

13 Likes

Calling BS on you for that “union construction=big trump supporters” line. 31yrs as Union Ironworker, I, and most of my friends would have QUIT the damn job rather than being coerced, contaminated by being in the same room with that worthless pile of rot! Like we used to say, I was looking for a job when I got this one.

17 Likes

Thanks for the clarification, BB. I left Pennsylvania in '61 and have never managed to find my way back, so I’m not up to speed on developments there.

1 Like

I generally agree with you, but it’s important to realize her caucus is divided on the issue and she’s the Speaker. She’s riding a line with members whose constituents are also divided on it. There are no two ways about Trump’s blatant lawlessness, but impeachment is a political act and the politics aren’t easy if you want to keep the House and maybe have a shot to do some good things after 2020. I say this as one who is pro-impeachment and disliked Pelosi’s less-than disciplined press approach to the issue from a few months ago (which she appears to have cleaned up a bit).

With respect to 2020, it’s a redistricting year. The impeachment issue might look a lot different if more new House members occupied balanced to lean Democratic districts rather than lean to straight up Republican districts. There’s one way to make the former more likely than the latter, and that’s to take more state legislative seats and governors’ mansions next year.

1 Like

I posted a long time ago that I would have liked to see a boycott of Exxon oil to at least send a message to the fossil fuel polluters. I have been to Valdez, Alaska many times and in spite of what you have been told: ** IT IS STILL ONE HELL OF A MESS!

3 Likes

Frankly, we just need to move away from transportation as it’s currently conceived. The solo commuter auto-centric life we lead is an unfolding disaster.

13 Likes