Home | About | Donate

World Honey Bee Day–Another Reminder that 40% of Insect Species Now Threatened With Extinction

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/09/04/world-honey-bee-day-another-reminder-40-insect-species-now-threatened-extinction

If you are a passionate citizen scientist, I urge you to contact your local school district* and find out if you can work with local junior high and high school science teachers to develop in and/or out of class projects that would motivate the youth. Nothing beats hands on “I could do this” types of experiences for motivation. Thanks for your consideration.

*or Scouting, Boys & Girls Clubs, etc.

2 Likes

Not many regular citizens understand the importance bees are to our survival. As the bees go, man will follow. No pollination, no food, it’s that simple. I would encourage anyone who’s thought about getting into beekeeping, think hard, and act, they need all the help they can get. Below is a vid by the manufacturer of a fairly new style of beehive, it’s not cheap, but very simple to use, requires little to no honey extraction equipment, and is said to work well in the middle and southern US. If your interested, their are many other vids by 3rd parties about the pro’s and con’s of this style. Honey extraction from this hive, couldn’t be simpler. Company links are in the vid description.

(h)ttps://www.youtube,com/watch?v=Z54bL6kjyOl
“Flow Hive Honey Harvesting” / Flow Hive Platform

Note: I have no affiliation with this company

1 Like

" Thanks to science, we know exactly why: habitat loss, pollution from pesticides, invasive species, and climate change all play a significant role."

We as a dominant species on this planet have consumed, disrupted, poisoned, and destroyed the balance, evolution, and interconnection of EVERYTHING on the planet that was built by Mother Nature. Whenever anything in the environment (including humans) disrupt, lose their positive value to the whole, or are destructive to interconnections, they are forced one way or another to either adapt or to go extinct.

Since it probably will be impossible to adapt to the climate chaos we humans have created, seems that we are doomed to either rapid extinction through nuclear war or slower extinction by means of climate change.

My windshield bug slat count and bug free porch light are already telling me that the human ship has set sail to the inevitable.

2 Likes

Our science has run amuck on most of the planet for the most part, I don’t see this as a positive bench mark.

Maybe we can learn something here from the killer bees.

“They (Africanized bees) killed four persons in the first four years, but none in the last ten years. Isolated from other land masses and populated by fewer predators, the environment caused the Africanized bees to relax, lose their aggression and become milder, almost like the European bees” .

1 Like

Well said!!!

Interesting…I wonder how this “lose their aggression and become milder” could be accomplished on the damn war making aggression of the people in supporting the MICC here in the US Empire?

Well, historically it isn’t all that different in my opinion but with globalization it changes a lot of contingencies. Also, we are pretty stubborn in our commitment to ideas that simply don’t work well.

Maybe we are trying to be gorillas in a chimpanzee world.

“Humans , chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans and their extinct ancestors form a family of organisms known as the Hominidae. Researchers generally agree that among living animals in this group, humans are most closely related to chimpanzees, judging from comparisons of anatomy and genetics.”

Gorillas are really cool according Jane Goodall and they adapt well in their environment. They can coexist with chimpanzees too I think. The problem is that there are a portions of the global humanoids (Rich Elites) who are actually pythons. They kill gorillas and chimpanzees for no reason at all. And they destroy the environment that supports all life on Earth.

1 Like

Interesting. I really like Jane Goodall too. Yes, that could be a real problem, pythons evolve very slowly (all snakes for that matter) It took them something like 150 million years to lose the the legs they use to have. They are also opportunistic. Still, they are somewhat adapted to their environment, more like loss of habitat would create environmental stress, that sort of thing. Little garden snakes usually mean you have a healthy environment, but it is no doubt different for larger snakes. Native Americans believe King snakes are friendly as well.

In the process of becoming global humanoids, the elites are more concerned with being elite than being humanoids. They must be very incomplete people.

King snakes are friendly --or at least the several I’ve met were.

1 Like

Oh, that is great, there are many stories about them in native communities. I never met any but my grandmother taught me the difference because there are a lot of rattle snakes too, in the foothills. I did feel their presence. Rattle snakes are not too bad if you leave them alone, but they are not friendly.

1 Like

I read an article this morning about scientific research in Western Australia having found that honey bee venom kills breast cancer cells, and other cancer cells as well.