Home | About | Donate

World 'Not on Track" to Curb Global Warming to 1.5-Degree Threshold: UN Chief

World 'Not on Track" to Curb Global Warming to 1.5-Degree Threshold: UN Chief

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

The world is "facing a climate emergency" and is "not on track" to limit global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius, United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres said Sunday.

Speaking in Auckland alongside New Zealand's Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern, Guterres said, "Climate change is running faster than what we are."

1 Like

As per usual, effective leadership on the issues that address climate change and environmental devastation is lacking among national “leadership.”

1 Like

I’d suggest that political leadership got precisely what it wanted: To run out the clock until climate chaos was unavoidable so they could say “Well, dammit, now it’s too late to bother changing the status quo.”

Meanwhile, let’s have another couple wars for oil. Iran and Venezuela, here we come.

2 Likes

So Guterres is doing something! Better than some folks.
But, really, weather scientists are not God–they are human beans.
“Not on track”
“Faster than predicted”
With millions of PEOPLE variables that you can’t control, yep, that’s sounds about right.
There are shipping magnates and mining magnates who undoubtedly to me are speeding things up. With icebreaking ships, for instance.
Icebergs have been dragged to the New England shore for decades to melt into bottled water. I heard a while back that Canada sells its ice for bottled water to ship abroad. Do you think these things were taken into account for “getting on track”?
What about the fires from excessive heat, drought and war?