Home | About | Donate

Worldviews Clashing at Standing Rock

Worldviews Clashing at Standing Rock

Bhikkhu Bodhi

The struggle to stop construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline marks not only a difference in economic policies but a contest between two radically different orientations to life. The struggle, which pits Native Americans and their allies against a company that constructs oil pipelines, has a profound significance that extends far beyond the plains of Standing Rock. The contest is both ethical and existential, and how it is resolved may well determine the future of human life, whether for harm or for good, on this beautiful but fragile planet.

I don't get it. The arguments are clear, true and obvious. But what good would it do even if Obama did grow a set and stop the pipeline now? Trump has already promised to restart Keystone XL. Do we think he will reject DAPL? Anything Obama does unilaterally at this late date will be undone early next year.

CHEROKEE WISDOM

Two Wolves

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people.

He said, "My son, the battle is between two wolves inside us all.

“One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

“The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.”

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather:
“Which wolf wins?”

The old Cherokee simply replied,
“The one you feed.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
;-})

I used to blog with a Buddhist monk who lived in China - on the BBC World environmental site of Richard Black.

It was he who put me on to a scientific journal article on mathematical 'tipping points', but quite aside from that, he was a fine man - and was one of the few to see instantly the effect the mountains had had on me - as a philosophy really.

And it was this Buddhist "scholar", Bhikkhu Bodhi - and his words,

"We can adopt a new outlook on the earth, one that reveres the majesty of its mountains, the splendor of its forests, the sanctity of its natural rhythms."

that attracted me instantly to this thread, for I cannot think of a better way of describing my seven years in the hills and deserts of North America.

So I say Ciao, Bhikkhu Bodhi - from my country, Canada, in a salutation from Italy, home of the mountaineer Simone Moro.

The Arctic is behaving in a most peculiar manner right now (see article here at Common Dreams), and as this world approaches a tipping point, or perhaps has already reached one, I see the blazing speed with which all doubts about The Donald are being put to rest, with the stated appointments he has made - of Steve Bannon, and Michael Flynn, and the new head of the CIA.

Wow - it couldn't be worse, methinks.

So here we are - at the gates of hell.

But it is not some place 'down there' - it is right here - right now.

Something for us all to keep in mind. Love it! Thanks, minitrue.