Home | About | Donate

'Wrong Way to Go': Experts Warn Trump Opioid Declaration Could Revitalize Failed War on Drugs

'Wrong Way to Go': Experts Warn Trump Opioid Declaration Could Revitalize Failed War on Drugs

Julia Conley, staff writer

Drug policy experts are critical of the praise that some have given President Donald Trump following his announcement Thursday that he would classify the opioid epidemic a national emergency.

The War on Drugs is not a failure; it is a resounding success: It jeopardizes the voting rights of large numbers of minorities, who tend to vote Democratic. It makes enormous profits for corporations in the prison industrial complex. It allows American corporations to use slave labor right here in the homeland. It cultivates a permanent, racialized under-class that be used to divide workers against themselves. These are not bugs or unfortunate side effects of the War on Drugs; these are the features that make it popular among conservatives.

The “War on Drugs” has created its own self-sustaining machine. Cops use “civil forfeiture” to fund their operations, DAs use it improve their conviction rates, prisons use it to justify their demands for more money.

Just another example of how when you give government power, it uses that power to seize even more power.

Government is the enemy, not the solution.

Like all dictators, Trump wants to declare martial law. The WOD has been one of the top ways for the empire to control the poor and middle class. Sessions is Republican’s Himmler.

Direct Democracy

Meanwhile, the U.S. narco-colonialism strategy has resulted in Afghanistan becoming the largest opium-producing country on the planet. Of course, the resultant illicit heroin is trafficked all over the world. It causes major health and safety problems; millions of lives are adversely impacted by the drug. The costs, in terms of lost lives is staggering. Moreover, it is somewhat disingenuous and ironic that the United States is currently ostensibly concerned about the abuse of opiate-based prescription drugs.

I mean… If that ain’t outright patent duplicity and complicity, then, I just don’t know what is. But then again, I suppose the United States regards such policy as being in the interest of national security; and therefore, the ultimate goal justifies the methods and its ensuing collateral damage.

By 2001, the Taliban had effectively eradicated that scourge from the country. Whereas since 2003, the U.S. has actively participated in substantially increasing poppy cultivation, processing and global distribution of the resultant heroin. According to UNDOC’s World Drug Report, along with the other UN studies and reports, Afghanistan produces some 93% of the world’s opium; around 2006, it was more than 95%.

Oh well, I guess the U.S. must keep the Afghan warlords happy and otherwise provide the populace with some “feel-good” source of income, as a pacification and distraction strategy. And, also it provides $ for off-the-books/black-ops and deep intelligence funding. And also, bribery and pocket-lining is well-funded by the illicit trafficking. (Nice!)

Most opioid addictions start by people needing relief for chronic, unrelenting pain. Then there is the problem that if you use them as needed and don’t take them on a regular basis when you do need to take the med the dose becomes too much and it can kill you. And now we have a mean spirited elf as attorney general who has made it one of his crusades to ban/prosecute anyone using medical marijuana which has helped countless people in pain. My questions would be why are so many people suffering and why deny them a possible pain relief that does not pose the same dangers as opioids?

90% of chronic pain patients who are prescribed opioids use them without becoming addicted. Yet, they are the ones who are being denied help.

I’d guess the overriding interest is more for-profit incarceration, rather than helping people heal.

There is also the billions that are spent on law enforcement.

Given that a lot of the opioid users are white, male working class, there go a lot of right wing drumpf voters who will lose their right to vote. So maybe this problem will solve itself in the long run. Either the right-wingers will lose elections, or the base will make its feelings known and force the drumpf/sessions tyranny to change course.

Interesting. Here in Vermont the articles I have read and the cases reported were of addictions which started as the need to control pain. Most of them, not all of them. One case in point was of a woman, white, middle class, fairly well off who did not use the opioid for a while but when she had to use use it for a bout of pain she was found dead by her partner. The dose taken had become too strong. _

My own experiences: prescribed low dose Tramadol which did not relieve pain but gave me serious side effects and was told to use ‘as needed’ and when I did so the side effects were quite serious. Fortunately, I refused to further use the stuff and reported it to my PC and referenced the article in a local paper that did an extensive report. Recently, post surgery, I was prescribed Oxycodone which was a red flag for me and told to use as needed. Guess what? I used it only once and my breathing was slowing to a stop. Then a call from a nurse asking me not to use it again–I did not need persuading. My surgeon seemed skeptical of what I experienced. No, I do not think our best interest is at the heart of the health “care” industry in this nation. I plan to try CBD from a Medical Marijuana Dispensary.

I was suggesting that we–as a nation–figure out why so many are dying from opioid use and abuse. People are in pain whether physical, as in my case, or mental/emotional in many other cases. Frankly, when I consider the plight of so many except the very wealthy I see an entire nation suffering from PTSD.

I heard a small comment about this on UTUBE—thank you—the Taliban had nothing to do with 9/11-yet that is who the US is fighting in Afghanistan ----is the US military protecting the opium crop???

Google " British Opium Trade".
AMERICAN Heroin Trade.
Samo/samo

I read a piece a few months ago that was very persuasive. It went like this;
Big Pharma produced these very powerful opioids for use in hospices for extreme pain relief for “end of life” patients. Addiction concerns were non applicable because the patients were not expected to live long enough to become seriously addicted.
The program worked well but the drug companies decided they were not making enough profit from such a small market, hospice care. So they, Big Pharma, decided to begin a program of convincing physician nationwide that their products, opioids, were not that dangerous or addictive and could be used more regularly for pain relief in everyday patients with chronic pain.
Doctors, convinced of opioids benevolence, began issuing more and more script for them, steeling themselves to keep close attention to their patients, watching for signs of addiction.
When doctors began seeing addiction in their patients they tried to cut them off or change to other or safer drugs. This led to patients, by now addicts, to seek other doctors to get their opioid prescriptions until several doctors were eventually involved.
Those patients/addicts who still survived this were ultimately booted from all their doctors because of their obvious addiction. This led them to the next best thing, the black market. Heroin. By now, c 2005, Afghan heroin was dirt cheap on the street and getting incredibly easy to get.
Fast forward 5-10 years. Heroin addicts explode in numbers and, more importantly, in tolerance levels.
More and more heroin is needed to reach the same effect. Enter Fentanyl. Much, much more powerful an opioid. Accidental overdoses skyrocket.
As do Big Pharma profits.
This is where we are today.
Essentially, a crime of major proportions. By drug dealers, from the top to the bottom.

Governments owned and operated by corporations will choose dollars over sense every time. There are plenty of governments that don’t have industrial prison complexes fed by bogus drug wars on their citizenry.
Getting money out of government and into the hands of We the People is the solution. But the sheeple have to get off their couches and into the streets.

Thanks for that! Provides the missing link and if you find the original article you might consider sending it to the good folks at www.painnewsnetwork.org.

You’re not going to see a lot of articles entitled “Person with chronic pain uses meds appropriately” as it is simply not an appealing news story. People suffering and dropping dead make a much more eye-catching story. Like any medication, (including medical marijuana) opioids are not right for everyone and should be used with caution. But what is happening instead is a blanket prohibition, leaving many people with no help or options. The most bizarre case I have recently heard of is an end-stage cancer patient (given 3 months to live) who was nearly denied pain meds in hospital because of a cocaine addiction he overcame decades earlier. I am also hearing of more suicides (I also wonder how many overdose deaths are suicide rather than accident). Certainly where I live (Alberta, Canada) many of the deaths are from fentanyl taken recreationally, either deliberately or inadvertently in contaminated street drugs. The fentanyl (and now carfentanyl, which is even more concentrated) comes from China or Mexico and is not prescription medication in most cases.
My own experience is of more than a decade using low dose opioids as needed as one of many tools to live with chronic pain. I am actually using less as time goes by, and the most severe medical problem I have is occasional constipation. But even I get worried when I hear doctors saying “no one should ever take opioids for more than two weeks” (which is something I heard a doctor saying on a radio news program), or the many times people say ignorant things like “people just need to stop being so weak” I’ve had pain so severe that I have lost consciousness, and other times when it was so bad I literally had to have my kids carry me to the toilet. Fortunately I have had some surgical help and am not nearly so bad now. But there are plenty of people who are not as lucky as I am. I have no problem with expanding the pain control toolbox by adding medical marijuana, or physiotherapy, or whatever else works. But setting up a witch hunt and calling everyone who takes a pain med a junkie helps no one.

I wander the vast wastelands of the intertubes so I cannot recall where I came across it.
But I believe it forms the basis of the current lawsuit by some of the states against the drug companies for their responsibility for the current opioid epidemic.

When Washington D.C. is majorly invested in Human-Beings ending up in NYSE corporatized prisons ( private prisons). The war on drugs is a path to profits, (more money of the few, at the misery of the many, ( Capitalism).

That is true. Unfortunately it comes down to trial and error. I was aware of the possibility of blanket bans and don’t support that but we really need to offer such drugs as a last resort.

I am glad the drugs have worked for you. Unfortunately I have a very sensitive system. Glad you are in favor of expanding the pain management toolbox but here in the US with its horrid health “care” system coupled with a deeply flawed, reactionary Attorney General who has a personal ideological problem against pot use those who benefit from Medical marijuana are experiencing what you describe in terms of a blanket ban.

Best of luck to you.