Home | About | Donate

Yanis Varoufakis, Former Greek Finance Minister, Returns to Public Life More Hopeful Than Ever

Yanis Varoufakis, Former Greek Finance Minister, Returns to Public Life More Hopeful Than Ever

Sonali Kolhatkar

Just a year ago the eyes of progressives all over the world were turned toward Greece. That which rarely happens had transpired in the Greek electoral system: a left-wing party with a strong ideological position was elected to power. The Syriza Party, which had upheld a staunchly anti-austerity platform, was propelled by the collective despair of the Greek populace into a landslide victory.

Very wise man and very prescient title:

"Varoufakis resigned. He proceeded to write a book, “And the Weak Suffer What They Must: Europe’s Crisis and America’s Economic Future,” about the battle over austerity."

This new movement sounds promising, too:

"To combat authoritarianism, austerity and the tyranny of the European Union (EU), Varoufakis spearheaded the launch of a new pro-democracy movement earlier this year called DiEM25, which stands for Democracy in Europe Movement 2025. The movement has branches in nations throughout Europe and has already grown to 17,000 members. According to Varoufakis, “[F]or the first time in Europe, people are trying to create a European agenda independently of borders, nationalities, culture and political party affiliation."

In a recent interview with Paul Craig Roberts, Roberts insists that it's too late for Greece having conceded to the European Bankster's troika. He thought Greece should have done the "Grexit" and taken up Russia on its loan offers and guarantees.

I agree with the book title... The U.S. is hardly off the hook. The same cons who engineered these vast systems of faux wealth and gamed the global economy are coming for OUR pensions and OUR assets to cover THEIR bad debts. Meanwhile, the MSM's talking heads smile and wax on lyrically about the recovering economy and strength of the U.S. dollar.

Veroufakis left Greece before and Tsipras took over but Tsipras was highly inadequate. Veroufakis , unlike most Greek liberals is a Marxist and will be harder to budge than people like Tsipras. Many people are counting on him and not only in Greece, to be on the front line in the attack on austerity. What the Witch Thatcher did and proposed for all working people,must be undone and he is the man to undo it.

The book title is actually "And the Weak Suffer What They Must?" There is the significance of hope in that question mark.

Funny; it sounds like people in Europe want to return to what they had before Thatcherism got going. Even funnier; that desire is now regarded as being extreme left-wing.

Thatcher wasn't a witch. She was just a unimaginative, bigoted, common-or-garden, middle-class, socially pretentious Englishwoman of highly limited compassion and was quite probably a lousy cook as well.

Yeh, but she was a witch as well.

Interesting - and hopeful - that Bernie Sanders thought to call Yanis Varoufakis last year.

I was watching that election and its aftermath like a hawk, and I was sorely disappointed in the outcome - the caving in to the world financial system - the resignation of Yanis Varoufakis.

And I am glad to see Yanis taking the world stage again.

I am an environmentalist just out of McGill University who read the Limits to Growth when it came out in 1972, and said: 'This doesn't look good'.

Forty-four years later, those MIT systems analysts got it mostly right - and Edward O. Wilson has just written a book called "Half-Earth", in which he deplores the 'abysmal' leadership world wide, and recommends that we set aside at least half the Earth to preserve biodiversity, and prevent our further entry into the Anthropocene, which he prefers to characterize as the "lonely age" which is coming if we do not act.

Like Jacques Cousteau, Wilson also believes that "only the impossible missions succeed" (Cousteau).

Add James Hansen, and our 'need' to bring CO2 down to 350 ppm from its current 400 ppm and rising, add the political situation worldwide, and indeed we have Mission Impossible.

As I see it, we have three things on our side:
1- Seven plus billion people
2- A proven ability to 'culturally' adapt
3- The Internet

I think a ceding of power to a world body, such as the United Nations, may be the only way out.

Rather I "WAS" an environmentalist just out of McGill ...

You insult witches.........

Like Ukraine?...........It wouldn't have been the first time that Greece would have suffered a fascist military coup.