Home | About | Donate

Yemen: In the Shadow of Death

Yemen: In the Shadow of Death

George Capaccio

It is my intention to make my entire life a rejection of, a protest against the crimes and injustices of war and political tyranny which threaten to destroy the whole human race and the world ... If I say no to all these secular forces, I also say yes to all that is good in the world and in humanity. I say yes to all that is beautiful in nature ... I say yes to all the men and women who are my brothers and sisters in the world.

— Thomas Merton, Trappist monk, poet, philosopher, teacher, and activist (1915-1968)

The CIA reportedly gave the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia an award for fighting terrorism. That quick we went from fake news to Farce News.

Peace
Po

We have no elected official or unelected power elite who is capable of changing the atrocity committed in the name of "we the people" of the US for 60 years.

An attempt at perspective:

The decision to go to war, whether a formally declared one or not, will almost always result in the death of non-combatants.

The decision to attack is then the key tipping point. All that follows is to various extents out of control - subject to variable human nature, training, cultural differences, circumstances - and the 'fog of war'.

Where are these decisions made - and by whom.

An article here on Common Dreams suggests, rather convincingly, that Trump is a 'malignant narcissist' - in effect, a sociopath.

This article points out Obama acted in precisely the same way - maybe his PR was better - but actions - and results - same.

Jacques Cousteau, the great explorer, said that at sea, the human being acted like a savage. One wonders if civilized man is any better.

Fridtjof Nansen, another world class explorer and winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, said nearly identical words in regard to nation states - that they behaved like the predators of the wild natural world.

Even before industrial war - Ghenghis Khan, and a truly long list of like minded would be conquerors have killed non-combatants in the millions, literally.

At the tribal level - same.

Eric Margolis' book, "War at the Top of the World', especially the second half, where geopolitics is the focus, confirms this view of nation states as always having to guard against enemies, both real and perceived, and often, it is the nation state which actively turns to aggression and expansion, for whatever reason, this leads to war, formal, or undeclared, or proxy, and the same loss of life of non-combatants results.

There is another article here on Common Dreams suggesting that we are collectively in denial - of the history of the United States.

I would also suggest there is denial at a more universal level.

We are all savages - it's genetic.

If there is any hope for any future at all for the human race, it may be that savages do possess a sense of self-interest - and of survival - and that now, this means an end to our longest and in many ways most cherished occupation - war.

I will not comment on the likelihood of this realisation occurring any time soon.

War is terrorism, and the US worldwide, perpetual state of war, is an assault against humanity. The sociopathy of Barack Obama and Donald Trump is manifest in the fact that these men, with young children of their own, can carry out such heinous crimes against humanity, massacring little children and go on to water ski and fancy dinning without the faintest sense of remorse or restraint.

During the time of the Mi Lai massacre, some US soldiers resisted this crime against humanity. When the US public learned of the massacre, many were outraged, and took to the street. What makes the sociopathy of Barack Obama and Donald Trump particularly reprehensible, is the fact that, through the institutionalization of Special Operations massacres, they have perpetuated a climate in which US soldiers and the US population at large, are as unfazed by massacres of innocent civilians, including children and babies as, in the words of one drone operator, the killing of ants.