Home | About | Donate

""You Ain’t No Muslim Bruv": Retort to London Attacker Goes Viral

""You Ain’t No Muslim Bruv": Retort to London Attacker Goes Viral

Jon Queally, staff writer

Though notable to some for exposing the profound difference between how UK police officers respond to a single individual wielding a knife as compared to their American counterparts, a violent attack in London's Tube on Saturday night has also spawned an emerging social media hashtag which seeks to combat the reactionary display of Islamaphobic rhetoric seen rising across Europe and the U.S. in recent years.

The man who shouted was definitely not a native speaker of English. I'd guess from the accent ("You ent no moose-leem, bruf! You ent no moose-leem!") he's a Muslim from Pakistan.

And well done him!

It most certainly is English as spoken by a native speaker. Perhaps the fact there's nothing cultured about it throws you.
Love the hashtag!

My mistake, then, Shirley, and thanks for the correction. I've evidently never before heard anyone speak who was from wherever he's from, because I'd have made book he wasn't English. Where is that accent from?

The London melting pot! Just as what's known as 'estuary English' appeared late 20th century, so did this one, but I'm not sure if it has its own special name yet.

That's a working class London accent using working class idiom. 100%

That's pretty interesting. I've heard and spoken with people from pretty much every part of the English-speaking world and I can't recall ever hearing anyone use such hyper-rounded vowels as that speaker did. I wonder whether that's an influence from the "Pakis" in London.

"Pakis" is a deeply offensive term. Do not use.
London is very much an immigrant city, and altogether there is generational input into language evolution. The English spoken in today's Eastend differs considerably to that spoken by my parents born in the 1930s. Major influences in the late 20th are probably Caribbean and South Asian (not just Pakistani!). The slang of my parents childhood would have had influences from Eastern Europe and possibly Scandinavia. (Certainly in Mum's case)

I know. That's why I put it in quotes, that and its use as the current form of "wog". Were it a more-familiar term on this side of the pond, I'd have written "P*k*". But nobody would have understood had I done it in this instance.

What's a bruv? A brother? Everybody thinks this word is so cool. Is that because they don't understand it?