Home | About | Donate

'You Still Have Time to Contact Your Senators': Pressure to Block Anti-Boycott Bill Mounts as McConnell Aims for Thursday Vote

'You Still Have Time to Contact Your Senators': Pressure to Block Anti-Boycott Bill Mounts as McConnell Aims for Thursday Vote

Jake Johnson, staff writer

After Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) delayed until Thursday afternoon the second procedural vote on a bill that would punish boycotts of Israel, Palestinian rights groups that have condemned the legislation as "unconstitutional" kept up urgent calls for Americans to pressure their senators to block the measure

This is the “leadership” the RepubliCon/trump regime espouse and support - to declare the Constitutional right to free expression and speech void in service to Israeli extremism and subversion of our national interests! They deem such vile un-Constitutional servitude more relevant and important at this time than the jobs and security of 800,000 federal workers, held hostage to build trumps Apartheid racist wall!

The bill S-1 would also give Israel $38 Billion, a travesty that shows who the RepubliCon Senate and trump actually serve! NOT our nation or national interests, but a wealthy foreign power, and that - serving a foreign power over our own republic and people - is treason!

BDS! End Israeli subversion of our politics and Congress!

People either don’t understand or don’t know that before a law is declared unconstitutional it MUST go before the Supreme Court and THEY decide if it’s constitutional or not. Furthermore a person or entity must have “standing” to even bring the case before the Supreme ct AND it has to pass through at least one lower court before it can be POSSIBLY heard by the Supreme ct. Finally there is the legal costs imposed in all the litigation. Remember, Hitler had courts in Germany in the 30’s & 40’s too that upheld much of his policy.

I forget the exact number of Dem Senators that support this POS bill, but the “crook” Menendez is one and the “republican” Manchin is another.

I believe it was four.

How is Trump going to please his jew hating brownshirt base and the Zionists in power at the same time?

Trump wants 5Bil for the wall and we’re possibly giving 38Bil to Israel so they can continue to murder their neighbors??? Why would anyone vote yes to this when our government is shut down!!!
This is what Republicans think is a pressing matter when families are struggling to put food on the table and are working for free!!!

From an article at Truthdig:
Rubio’s bill has Democratic supporters, including Cardin, Bob Menendez of New Jersey, Joe Manchin of West Virginia, Ron Wyden of Oregon, and Gary Peters and Debbie Stabenow, both of Michigan. Sources tell The Intercept that Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., also supports the bill, though Schumer’s office declined to comment on those reports.

Yes. It would be merely ironic, if it weren’t also tragic, that the Rs were once the party that fought to end slavery.

Wyden is the only surprise of that group. I don’t know his past voting or position on “Israel”, but he is liberal on most positions. I’m sure they’ll be more Dems voting on this.

I’m one of his constituents, and I’ve kept track of his stance on Israel. He is always for whatever benefits Israel. I’ve had a back and forth with him over it in the past, and continue to send him articles/photos/videos I find about the horrible deaths and abuses inflicted on Palestinians by Israel and the IDF, always asking him how he looks himself in the mirror. I plan to harass him again soon. Yes, he’s good on most issues, but for me, this is a red line, putting Israel’s wishes and desires over those in the US, and especially over the rights guaranteed us by the Constitution. I’d like to see him sent packing next time he’s up for election, for this stand of his on Israel.

I can’t say I’m surprised by Wyden. There was an incident here in Oregon some time ago in which he was confronted at a town hall by someone demanding to know why he cosponsored legislation that included punishing people for supporting BDS, and Wyden falsely claimed the bill didn’t say that. He either lied, or he’s been rubber stamping things written for the Israeli government without reading them.

I stand corrected. Thanks, Catsma.

I think he both knowingly lied and he rubber stamps anything written for Israel–he’s one of their lapdogs. So happy to hear that someone confronted him–I hope it continues to happen, and that people push back when he lies. I live outside the US now, so I can’t go to any of his town hall meetings, but sure would love to be at one to try to make him squirm.

It’s 3:33 p.m. So what was the outcome?

I wonder if kickbacks are part the equation.

S1 not advanced for the second time in three days…

Besides the political maneuver to prevent any other business to be conducted until the shutdown itself is ended, the bill contains unConstitutional and unethical policies and requirements. For example, “encouraging” states to pass laws to prohibit our first amendment right to protest what is being done by the Israeli government to the Palestinians, and continuing to provide military aid to Israel thereby enabling the actions of the Israeli government against Palestinians and others…

The 49 republicans and 4 democrats who voted to advance the bill on this second vote are obviously in favor of further eroding our rights, and enabling the murder and inhumane treatment of innocents…

Just another indicator of long-time imperialism and hypocrisy…

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=116&session=1&vote=00002

Still no reply from Wyden. I just got a form letter from my other Democrat senator. I’m sure everyone will be relieved to know one of the most “progressive” senators is “concerned.”

He wrote:

"Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about the inclusion of anti-Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions (BDS) language in the Strengthening America’s Security in the Middle East Act (S. 1). I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

"As you may know, the Strengthening America’s Security in the Middle East Act is composed of four separate bills that would extend our security cooperation with Jordan, codify the Obama-era security assistance Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the United States and Israel, and strengthen accountability measures for the perpetrators of barbaric human rights abuses in the Syrian civil war. It also includes the Combating BDS Act, which would protect state and local governments that pass laws allowing localities to divest from companies that are engaged in BDS activities.

"I share your concern about the inclusion of the controversial Combating BDS Act, particularly its implications for Americans’ constitutionally protected right to engage in boycotts and its possible impacts on a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. I am also concerned that this bill is being brought to the floor at this time. The Senate’s priority should be to re-open the government and I will not support any legislation unless it ends the Trump shutdown, which is why I have voted against the Senate proceeding to consider this bill.

"Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me. I hope you will continue to contact me on issues that matter most to you.

All my best,

Jeffrey A. Merkley
United States Senator "

Self-defense is not murder.

No Palestinian would be killed or wounded if racist Palestinians were not trying to invade Israel to murder innocent Jews.

The root cause of this conflict is that Palestinians believe that they are superior to the Jews & therefore should rule over the Jews. Because the Jews don’t want to be ruled by the Palestinians, then some Palestinians believe that the Jews should be exterminated. The Palestinians say “The Jews are our dogs!” & “The Jews are the descendants of apes and pigs.”

Palestinians are raised to hate Jews. Here’s what Palestinian kids see on Palestinian TV:

A song in a children’s cartoon includes the lyrics, “Zionist man, run away, Zionist woman, run away, very soon you’ll be killed by a car.”

A Palestinian singer is shown in another clip, singing the lyrics, “Oh Martyrdom-seeker, make them cry. Make the fire engulf them. Turn them into body parts, roast them.”

A Palestinian child declaims in a speech into which he has been indoctrinated, “Oh sons of Zion, oh the most evil of creatures, oh barbaric apes.”

In a children’s TV show, a Mickey Mouse figures asks a child, “How will you sacrifice your soul for the sake of Al-Aqsa? What will you do? The child replies, **“I will shoot. We want to… We will annihilate the Jews.”