Home | About | Donate

'You Stink': Beirut Protesters Now Calling for Revolution

'You Stink': Beirut Protesters Now Calling for Revolution

- Common Dreams staff

Tens of thousands anti-government protesters clashed with police in central Beirut on Sunday evening just hours after Lebanese Prime Minister Tammam Salam hinted he might step down following violence triggered by the month-long 'You Stink' trash protests.

Gunfire was heard as government riot police opened fire in an apparent effort to drive protesters away from central Beirut government offices, witnesses said.

“You don’t ever want a crisis to go to waste; it’s an opportunity to do important things that you would otherwise avoid.”
Rahm Emanuel

Too late, it's already well on its way to being a failed state.

Yup, Bibi is keeping a close eye on things and whispering sweet nothings to his generals now that Iran is off limits for now..

It may be too late to hijack it. They probably started. if is the future is anything like the past. Regime change is the neocons favorite game, They are not good at it but that doesn't stop them from playing, leaving death and destruction in their wake.

I wonder what Robert Fisk has to say about this...

Nothing up yet at The Independent. He posted an article there today 8/23 on the need for reporters to keep reporting on the Islamic State. Apparently his Twitter account is only rarely used. But i'd expect him to weigh in in the next day or two.

1. "month-long 'You Stink' trash protests." So how come we are just now hearing about it, CD?
  2. "Al Jazeera's Jamal Elshayyal, reporting from Beirut, said the protests had drawn people from across Lebanon's political divide. . . ."'This is very much a grassroots movement that has come out on to the streets . . .'" How much credence should be given to that analysis? I offer this quote from Ahmad Barqawi, "the complete transformation of that channel into the full-blown visual travesty and beacon of crude yellow journalism that it is today and nothing beyond that." - counterpunch.org August 18.

What color will it be this time? Or will they just dust off the old "cedar" T-shirts from last time?