Home | About | Donate

Your Complete Guide to the N.Y. Times’ Support of U.S.-Backed Coups in Latin America

Your Complete Guide to the N.Y. Times’ Support of U.S.-Backed Coups in Latin America

Adam Johnson

On Friday, The New York Times continued its long, predictable tradition of backing U.S. coups in Latin America by publishing an editorial praising Donald Trump’s attempt to overthrow Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro. This will be the 10th such coup the paper has backed since the creation of the CIA over 70 years ago.

4 Likes

All anyone ever had to do to debunk the “liberal New York Times” meme is to read it from time to time. Controlling the bounds of discussion is pervasive in our media–oh wait, I should say “their” media.

8 Likes

Headline sez:
“Your Complete Guide to the N.Y. Times’ Support of U.S.-Backed Coups in Latin America”

Hmm. Concise commentary by Mr. Johnson.

I had presumed its publication would require serial installments.

7 Likes

Joe Bageant called the NYT “The mouthpiece of Empire”.

Along with public radio’s inability to follow through on investigations, I can’t really tell which is worse, but at least with the NYT, you can simply follow the money and it makes perfect sense. With public radio, one is just left in the dark with hemp clothes and quinoa bowls made of radioactive clay, wondering why the paint job on your Prius doesn’t glow like your pottery.
In other words, a confluence of imagined knowledge of trivia that doesn’t matter.

The NYT is useful if you want to know who the enemy of people really is: just read the advertisements.
On public radio, the ‘sponsors’ are the people in the stories of the NYT.
In academic circles, the discussions are about how to make excuses for the Empire’s whole shebang so the grant money keeps flowing.
The Democrats still can’t figure out that they lost an election to something they can’t seem to understand: people who choose none of the above.

9 Likes

Great article outlining the method of framing political crimes in a manner that creates the illusion that the news outlets are actually supporting democracy and human rights. The end result is that fewer and fewer people are turning to traditional propaganda sources like the NYT and instead are turning to sources online that don’t back the official narrative. Hopefully the poor and biased reporting by the MSM will bankrupt them as ‘We the People’ deserve better.

4 Likes

And the NYT and other mainstream media squeal like pigs when they referred to as “fake news”.

The MSM is so intent on ensuring the reader accept their bullshit as fact , there a new rating agency called Newsguard, funded by the right wing and being integrated into browsers wherein sites rated for their accuracy. It goes without saying the NYT rates highly.

5 Likes

I have never listened to NPR. I know someone who gets their news exclusively from NPR, and thinks anything I say that contradicts it is fake news. I am at a loss for how to talk to people who have been old enough to know better for decades.

3 Likes

The New York Times is the paper of broken record.

3 Likes

These days, i mostly read the NYTimes for the recipes.

[quote=“CommonDreams, post:1, topic:59876”]
Argentina 1976: “It was typical of the cynicism with which many Argentines view their country’s politics that most people in Buenos Aires seemed more interested in a soccer telecast Tuesday night than in the ouster of President Isabel Martinez de Perlin by the armed forces. The script was familiar for this long‐anticipated coup.”[/quote]

Isabel Martinez de “Perlin”??? Is that a “[sic]”? Does the NYT so reflexively call for coups that the editor didn’t even know who the Perón family was?

We should also recall that this falls short of full confession: the NYT extensively lied about Iraq, contradicting extensively documented information.

3 Likes

Note the lack of venomous vitriol from Killer Clown when “the enemy of the people” lives up to that label

One cannot have a rational conversation with a person in denial of reality.

I wonder how many CIA assets are currently employed at the N.Y. Times.

1 Like

I’ll confess that when I was younger, I listened to Rush Limbaugh with my parents and coworkers. It grated on my nerves with the repetition and the advertisements for 3 hours (and his fans would criticize Hugo Chavez for his broadcasts…eh?). I used to listen to NPR also. Shows that were useful weren’t too bad, but the news stories in the age of Peak Oil knowledge were amazingly obtuse to the root causes of political woes (I suspect it has to do with sponsors as with any news media.).
The internet allows us to look for and to accept the random and deep nature of the world, with plenty of competing biases.
You can accept that we all have bubbles and try to pop some of them, or you can try to just be useful in your own ways and move on, shaking your head when others reinforce their own bubble.
NPR, NYT, WSJ, FOX and CNN are great for reinforcing established bubbles and selling products. The first step is realizing that the root of most conflicts is the selling of products (religion, oil, news, cars…it’s all in the coercion and it’s all coercion…nod to Douglass Rushkoff).
If you care about someone, I recommend you start with teaching them about the methods of coercion that are being applied to them.
“Our thoughts on your thoughts on our thoughts.” - Smarmy public radio announcer on Parks and Rec.

1 Like