Home | About | Donate

Your Right to Record: Protected by Law, Disrespected by Law Enforcement

Your Right to Record: Protected by Law, Disrespected by Law Enforcement

Tim Karr

While Feidin Santana and Ramsey Orta are hardly household names, these men played pivotal roles in one of the most important civil rights stories of our time.

Preventing the recording of police misconduct is a page right out of the IDF playbook.

The most notable aspect of the attack on the MV Mavi Marmara by Israeli forces in 2010 was the violent confiscation of all recording equipment. Then Israel turned around and released a completely fabricated video to support their lies about the entire nature of the confrontation. Of course their stooges in the US Congress and media claimed that the bogus video was "proof" of Israel's false claims.

When the Israelis attacked the USS Liberty in 1967, their first target was the communications apparatus of the ship.

I have to admit that I'm more than a little surprised that our fascist Supreme Court has upheld the rights of citizens to record police activities. I guess their reasoning is that Wall Street has consolidated its control of our legal and political processes to the point that it doesn't matter. Most US citizens aren't even paying attention.

jj

There a Video on the internet going around of a woman making a recording of Police as they accost a homeless man. She is shooting the video and yelling out in NO uncertain terms what she is doing. She is yelling out the man has no gun ,no weapons and that they should put theirs away.

A pile of Police show up some going for their guns when they encounter him. They all rush to the homeless man like some mad pack of rabid dogs when the woman calls out she is filming them and the homeless man is NOT resisting and they have no call to beat him.

She very likely prevented a beating or worse and those cops did not seem at all happy they were watched,

I wonder what happens if you don't turn over your phone when ordered?

Do they cite you for failure to comply and then say you were resisting arrest if you try to hold onto it?

Cops are never more creative than when engaging in a cover-up.

Disturbing trend in this country, Police use eavesdropping laws against being filmed, speech is prosecuted as an "act" to get away from the 1st amendment, Cash and property is seized without evidence of criminal intent by "sueing" the property itself, students are being hounded off of campus by declaring unpopular opinions "hate". Our basic rights are under assault from both left and right..film the cops!

Well a man DID get charged with "destruction of Police property" when he apparently bled on the police uniforms as they were beating the crap out of him according to one civil case that is in the courts.

In another a man was charged with assaulting a Police officer when the Police officer broke his own hand while punching the suspect in the head.

My brother used to wear a t-shirt that read "Support your local police: Beat yourself up."